Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2020, 12:50 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,612,080 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiociolliscalves View Post
News flash: black Americans tend to be quite frightened of being out in the woods.

And yes, I know there are a couple black people in this thread who love being in the wilderness. It's the old general vs. universal misunderstanding.
It's true. It's hilarious to see black folks totally freak out over seeing a little rat snake. You'd think it was a big grizzly bear coming at them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2020, 12:53 PM

2,540 posts, read 1,034,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
It's true. It's hilarious to see black folks totally freak out over seeing a little rat snake. You'd think it was a big grizzly bear coming at them.
Hey: never been to the Deep South but if the people there would perceive as “Black,” how would I be perceived at the nature Preserves down there. In the West, it’s a non issue.

Old 07-03-2020, 12:57 PM

2,185 posts, read 1,382,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
If you go to national parks and explore the back country (most Americans never wander more than a few hundred yards from the parking lots), there are VERY FEW AMERICANS out there. Nearly ALL of the people we encounter out in the "boonies" are European or from New Zealand. They are usually shocked to find we are Americans and are actually hiking in our own national parks.

If you don't visit national parks/forests, its your own fault.
So true. In GC, the best views are between a few hundred a feet and a couple thousand feet down the trails, yet most visitors stay up top, it's beautiful too but you're missing out, it's not the same experience.

Old 07-03-2020, 01:10 PM

73,013 posts, read 62,607,656 times
White people going to national parks has never bothered me. This is how I see it. We need to ask why there aren't more Blacks, Hispanics, etc visiting national parks.

Old 07-03-2020, 01:13 PM

45,383 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
White people going to national parks has never bothered me. This is how I see it. We need to ask why there aren't more Blacks, Hispanics, etc visiting national parks.
Too many White people?

Old 07-03-2020, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I can't believe you think like that. I don't think it's funny. I think it's more sad that anything. And that fear isn't limited to Blacks. I live very close to a state park. I've seen several snakes. I've seen mostly White people freak out over snakes. I'm Black and I've been close to a water moccasin without freaking out.

Old 07-03-2020, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Too many White people?
Do you really believe that, or is this some sarcastic remark from you?

Old 07-03-2020, 01:19 PM

2,540 posts, read 1,034,155 times
Quote:
I can't believe you think like that. I don't think it's funny. I think it's more sad that anything. And that fear isn't limited to Blacks. I live very close to a state park. I've seen several snakes. I've seen mostly White people freak out over snakes. I'm Black and I've been close to a water moccasin without freaking out.
Never seen a Water Moccasin but that would freak me out because the are sneaky and deadly. I’ve seen a few rattlers but they give you a warning first.

Old 07-03-2020, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkingOutsideTheBox View Post
Never seen a Water Moccasin but that would freak me out because the are sneaky and deadly. I’ve seen a few rattlers but they give you a warning first.
I think being that close to a water moccasin (I wasn't bitten by it), well, I don't have much fear of snakes.

Old 07-03-2020, 01:27 PM

45,383 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Quote:
My students used to freak out over mice. And butterflies. And ants. And dirt. They used to complain about having to go outside for fire drills and a few would always refuse to.

Quote:
Do you really believe that, or is this some sarcastic remark from you?
What do you think it is, although I did have a kid tell me one time that too many White people was why Blacks didn't play baseball. He wasn't too bright.

I did have a group of Black students in the mid-90s who were really into Death Metal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies