Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2020, 05:28 AM

18,466 posts, read 15,250,426 times

Advertisements

I'm not a gun guy either. I considered buying a gun once, but my wife was totally against it, so I didn't get one. We are going to revisit this issue if things don't go back to normal soon.

It seems like society just doesn't care about crime anymore. I'm still hoping that this is just a short phase we are going through. It's like we went back in time to my childhood the 1970's, when crime was rampant and the courts always sided with the criminals.

For younger people who have no idea of what I am talking about, watch some 70's Charles Bronson or Al Pacino movies if you want to get an idea of what it was like. Or the Dirty Harry movies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2020, 06:00 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC1984 View Post
They support the death penalty for one!

Proof of nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC1984 View Post
The Dems are the ones who shut down the mental institutions, oppose the death penalty, release violent criminals, decriminalize many actual crimes, fight for reduced or no sentences, promote early release and want to defund the police.

I asked for SPECIFIC ways Republicans are trying to keep mental and violent
offenders from living among us. Baseless whining about Democrats DOES NOT answer the question!

Epic FAIL!

Old 07-03-2020, 06:08 AM

2,400 posts, read 754,790 times
Im not a gun guy either but I’m thinking of purchasing a hand gun and maybe an AR15 and just leaving them in their boxes but the fact that there are records out there that I have these things...maybe that will give someone pause on whether they will screw with me. Maybe it’s our duty as Americans to own guns at least...to keep the government in check. Maybe that is what the founding fathers tried to teach us.

Old 07-03-2020, 06:21 AM

I think Stern said it best, when he said, "Guns are the great equalizer between a woman or an elderly man, and a 30 year old thug who just got out of prison and has been working out like a monster."

"Guns are the only thing that make me nervous about voting for Hillary."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=my-sYcQxXNo

Old 07-03-2020, 06:34 AM

9,694 posts, read 7,392,751 times
if you got rid of all guns, they be making them in backyard shops within 24 hours and they would not be semi auto.
with all the tools backyrad machines have and the designs being on the net, the first gun would be operation within 12 hours of the ban

Old 07-03-2020, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
if you got rid of all guns, they be making them in backyard shops within 24 hours and they would not be semi auto.
with all the tools backyrad machines
have and the designs being on the net, the first gun would be operation within 12 hours of the ban
Or, much more easily with 3D printer.

Old 07-03-2020, 06:55 AM

13,248 posts, read 7,312,118 times
The current background check called NICS the records which are used to check a persons background are not in the database. Mentally ill people who have been adjudicated by a court those records are not even complete. We have had the background check for over 20 years now still isn't working. Before we pass anymore laws fix the ones we have now it's crazy that congress wants to pass more laws when the ones they have now don't work.

State Rankings | FixNICS | FixNICS.org

Old 07-03-2020, 09:07 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,628,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travel-a-lot View Post
I've never been anything close to a gun guy but I understood the arguments on both sides. I've never owned one but my opinion has always been that if you're gonna get rid of the guns you better find some way to get ALL guns(whether legal or not) or you better leave it alone cus if only criminals can get em that's a recipe for disaster in America. Maybe that's not a problem in other countries where they don't really have guns like that, but if you did that in America you can bet home invasions will go thru the roof.

HOWEVER, now that I've seen the riots and I've seen how in some cases the ONLY THING keeping rioters from attacking the "rich areas" is that they're afraid they'll get shot, I now fully get it. And after seeing that St. Louis couple and the reaction to it, including a nut job prosecutor in STL saying they're gonna look into charging them, I don't know what to think. Sounds like they're saying you're not allowed to protect yourself if someone tries to burn your house down.

I still would like to find ways to keep guns away from anyone mentally ill though. Their should be some penalties if your gun manages to make it to the hands of someone with serious issues IMO.
Well I am a "gun guy." All my life since I was old enough to operate a firearm unaided. I'm very active in shooting with training, myself and others, competition, I do hunt but not as much as I used to and I do carry.

Been called the ubiquitous "wanna e Rambo" on here so much I wonder if I should change my screen name. It seems that happens when you comment on firearms related topics from a standpoint of experience and knowledge.

The people who get all their firearms knowledge and "experience" from Hollywood and CNN go straight to making silly analogies and accusations. So be it. So I let it be.

I am sick of the Rambo analogy though. I don't look anything like Stallone (or any other action movie star) and Hollywood's silliness with portrayal of firearms capabilities (and human ones) often make me cringe.

Those of us who have actually been unfortunate enough to have to use a firearm for defensive purposes I believe all cringe at what people believe about them from movies and TV.

I have to cringe more at the thought of being disarmed in the face of the criminal elements I have seen. Make no mistake, those elements would be ecstatic at a disarmed victim pool.

Many of the anti firearms types here and the real world view any and all self defense action by citizens as "wannabe Rambo, vigilante, street justice redneck blah blah blah, behavior.

Of course they've never been on the receiving end of violent crime. Or animal attack which is no Twinky thing either and is a consideration as well. Nor have they experienced the true nature of being an armed citizen.

That nature requires one to become the meek and mild epitome of the "coward of the county." Backing down and walking away from confrontation in the face of any and all fighting words that would pi$$ off the Pope on Easter Sunday.

Unless said confrontation will not be let go by opposing parties and turns into physical assault on you or someone with you and puts you in fear for life and limb. And judgement on that must be clear, coherent and beyond question.

And even under such circumstances a citizen that fires their weapon in defense can expect an aftermath worse than the defensive incident. That we can thank all the simpering anti firearms Eloi and their "Rambo" analogies for.

Old 07-03-2020, 09:53 AM

20,834 posts, read 17,102,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Well I am a "gun guy." All my life since I was old enough to operate a firearm unaided. I'm very active in shooting with training, myself and others, competition, I do hunt but not as much as I used to and I do carry.

Been called the ubiquitous "wanna e Rambo" on here so much I wonder if I should change my screen name. It seems that happens when you comment on firearms related topics from a standpoint of experience and knowledge.

The people who get all their firearms knowledge and "experience" from Hollywood and CNN go straight to making silly analogies and accusations. So be it. So I let it be.

I am sick of the Rambo analogy though. I don't look anything like Stallone (or any other action movie star) and Hollywood's silliness with portrayal of firearms capabilities (and human ones) often make me cringe.

Those of us who have actually been unfortunate enough to have to use a firearm for defensive purposes I believe all cringe at what people believe about them from movies and TV.

I have to cringe more at the thought of being disarmed in the face of the criminal elements I have seen. Make no mistake, those elements would be ecstatic at a disarmed victim pool.

Many of the anti firearms types here and the real world view any and all self defense action by citizens as "wannabe Rambo, vigilante, street justice redneck blah blah blah, behavior.

Of course they've never been on the receiving end of violent crime. Or animal attack which is no Twinky thing either and is a consideration as well. Nor have they experienced the true nature of being an armed citizen.

That nature requires one to become the meek and mild epitome of the "coward of the county." Backing down and walking away from confrontation in the face of any and all fighting words that would pi$$ off the Pope on Easter Sunday.

Unless said confrontation will not be let go by opposing parties and turns into physical assault on you or someone with you and puts you in fear for life and limb. And judgement on that must be clear, coherent and beyond question.

And even under such circumstances a citizen that fires their weapon in defense can expect an aftermath worse than the defensive incident. That we can thank all the simpering anti firearms Eloi and their "Rambo" analogies for.
Wise man. Thanks. Happy 4th!

Old 07-03-2020, 10:00 AM

19,718 posts, read 10,124,301 times
I can give an example of what is wrong with the system. During a home invasion, the homeowner killed one of the intruders, The second one was charged with murder. He was let out on bond. While out he got high and wrecked a car. In the wreck, a 4 year old was paralyzed. He is still out on bond.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies