Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2020, 06:47 AM

88,930 posts, read 44,752,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
I'll vouch for that. It is absolutely true. The top learnering self motivated people were thought to be arrogant. Schools had no provisions for them. And when the schools finally did AP classes it was mainly for segregation. The curriculum was not much better than regular.

When my kids were in school nothing was done for those who had done all the work. One of my kids had finished everything they had for the 4th grade so they sent her to the first grade teacher to be an aide. She did that for 4 months.
Sadly, that happens all too often. Instead of allowing those kids to learn to the best of their ability, they use them as unpaid teacher's aides. Kids... used as slaves.

Quote:
Her kid had read every book in the school and done all the work by halfway through the 1st. grade, so he had to sit with his hands folded on his desk all day.

He left the building to walk home. They didn't know he was gone until his mom showed up after school to get him. That happened 2 times. before she found an alternative school run by some old hippies who would take him.
My brother did that. I just hid library books (fiction, nonfiction, higher-level textbooks, etc.) in my classwork text/workbooks and read them while the inane classroom "lessons" were taking place. Got caught once. The teacher was irate and tried to embarrass me in front of the whole class by asking me to complete examples of the work she had been explaining to the class how to do. You should have seen her face when I zipped right through her challenge. She was stunned. Honestly had NO clue. She and all the other teachers left me alone after that. I could pretty much do whatever I wanted as long as I wasn't disrupting class.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2020, 06:55 AM

477 posts, read 335,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
In an effort not to hurt anyone’s feelings,..
This is the point. It's what I wrote above, excessive political correctness.
I recently read a joke. I do not remember it word to word but it is something like this, "Smart people are forbidden to think because it can hurt the feeling of dumb people".

Old 07-04-2020, 06:56 AM

20,955 posts, read 5,540,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Sadly, that happens all too often. Instead of allowing those kids to learn to the best of their ability, they use them as unpaid teacher's aides. Kids... used as slaves.

My brother did that. I just hid library books (fiction, nonfiction, higher-level textbooks, etc.) in my classwork text/workbooks and read them while the inane classroom "lessons" were taking place. Got caught once. The teacher was irate and tried to embarrass me in front of the whole class by asking me to complete examples of the work she had been explaining to the class how to do. You should have seen her face when I zipped right through her challenge. She was stunned. Honestly had NO clue. She and all the other teachers left me alone after that. I could pretty much do whatever I wanted as long as I wasn't disrupting class.

Good for you! There are too few brains as good as yours in America today. Kudos to the self-starters and insatiable learners!

Old 07-04-2020, 06:57 AM

20,955 posts, read 5,540,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UAman View Post
I recently read a joke. I do not remember it word to word but it is something like this, "Smart people are forbidden to think because it can hurt the feeling of dumb people".

Isn't that just the sad and gut-wrenching truth!

Old 07-04-2020, 07:08 AM

12,818 posts, read 9,010,448 times
There's no one thing, but people have hit on several of the items that work on concert with one another. Our education system has been driven at the alter of political correctness since the 60s. Achievement and high performance are something to be squashed down because it hurts the feelings of the non achievers.

Teachers themselves tend to come from the bottom third of college students and, esp when it comes to the hard subjects that actually matter, most don't have degrees in the field they are "teaching." The fact that you can't teach what you don't know should be pretty obvious, but in the education world they think subject matter knowledge gets in the way of teaching.

Old 07-04-2020, 07:18 AM

23,944 posts, read 15,049,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post

AFAIK, they still do nothing for you self starting curious people in public schools.

If I were 50 years younger, it would be home schooling at my house.

Old 07-04-2020, 07:18 AM

7,234 posts, read 4,537,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UAman View Post
Beyond that I feel like i am forbidden to think because it is *mean* to point out the truth or *uncivil* to challenge something. Any dissent is "mean" or "uncivil".

Old 07-04-2020, 07:19 AM

88,930 posts, read 44,752,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkhmini View Post
Good for you! There are too few brains as good as yours in America today. Kudos to the self-starters and insatiable learners!
Thank you. There are a lot of kids/people like me, my brother, and the others mentioned in this thread. I hope they can free themselves from their school classroom shackles, too.

Old 07-04-2020, 07:55 AM

10,027 posts, read 9,495,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX Wahine View Post
The Internet has made people stupid and lazy.
This. But to be fair we have always had dumb people. It’s just that with the internet and social media, everyone can see it.

Old 07-04-2020, 10:41 AM

26,445 posts, read 15,037,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VLWH View Post
This. But to be fair we have always had dumb people. It’s just that with the internet and social media, everyone can see it.
There is evidence that the US IQ is falling from IQ tests and they even made the SAT easier to combat this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies