Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2020, 06:26 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,142,059 times

Advertisements

From an interview (link below, with a transcript) with Republican William Cohen.

Q: What do you see and what do you expect if there was to be a second Trump administration?

Cohen: Well, if that were to take place, then I think we would not recognize America as a democracy. I think President Trump is taking us down the road to tyranny, to one-man rule, to try and replicate what he sees as a positive in Moscow with President Putin or in Turkey with President Erdogan, or over in China or North Korea. I think he wants to have one-man rule, and it’s not the rule of law but just the opposite. It’s the law of rule, where he only can make decisions. And he said quite, you know, publicly on multiple occasions, I’m above the law. The law doesn’t apply to me. I’m the chief law enforcement officer. I am the commander in chief. Nothing I do is illegal because I do it. And so, if you take away an obligation to run for reelection, now, he has absolute authority to do whatever he wants because he feels he’s not even bound by the law. And so, I see a very dictatorial absolutist type of rule in the country, and again, I don’t think we’ll be a democracy at that point.

Former Secretary of Defense William Cohen on the Election | Video | Amanpour & Company | PBS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2020, 06:36 PM

2,707 posts, read 1,033,563 times
Oh My! Bill Clinton's SOD doesn't like Trump. I am SHOCKED!

Old 07-03-2020, 06:42 PM

Which is why I pointed out that he was a Republican.

I can't think of any major position that narrow-minded Trump filled with a Democrat. Can you?

Old 07-03-2020, 06:44 PM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 28 days ago)

27,647 posts, read 16,133,597 times
Defund pbs

Old 07-03-2020, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
Which is why I pointed out that he was a Republican.

I can't think of any major position that narrow-minded Trump filled with a Democrat. Can you?
Jared and Ivanka are democrats...they are advisers to the President unfortunately so yeah.

Old 07-03-2020, 06:57 PM

8,059 posts, read 3,945,174 times
William Cohen? A never-Trumper that voted for Hillary - bfd.

Old 07-03-2020, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriotic Dissent View Post
Jared and Ivanka are democrats...they are advisers to the President unfortunately so yeah.
LOL. Cute. Can we admit this is sheer nepotism? Neither is remotely qualified. In fact, Ivanka isn't even qualified in terms of fashion. And, still, I meant something on the level of cabinet positions.

Old 07-03-2020, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
LOL. Cute. Can we admit this is sheer nepotism? Neither is remotely qualified. In fact, Ivanka isn't even qualified in terms of fashion. And, still, I meant something on the level of cabinet positions.
I despise them both so sure we can agree. I would have to look at everyone in his cabinet first I don't remember a lot of them.

Old 07-03-2020, 07:11 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,784,322 times
I have tried to ignore silly opinions from biased MSM, but sometimes it's impossible not to. The person quoted said that if Trump is President again, we will become a nation of tyranny, one-person rule, blah blah..

Most of you on this forum are intelligent, so you know how silly that statement is. If Trump has been a tyranny, would the millions of name callings, person attacks hurled at him have been allowed? In China saying anything bad about their leader is a serious crime that lands people in prison and Xi Jinping makes sure of that. Is Trump throwing Americans in prison for badmouthing him? Of course not.

About Trump haters posting rants and attacks, resist the temptation to respond to them. If you ignore them, their thread will disappear quickly enough and hopefully, they will too.

Old 07-03-2020, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
I have tried to ignore silly opinions from biased MSM, but sometimes it's impossible not to. The person quoted said that if Trump is President again, we will become a nation of tyranny, one-person rule, blah blah..

Most of you on this forum are intelligent, so you know how silly that statement is. If Trump has been a tyranny, would the millions of name callings, person attacks hurled at him have been allowed? In China saying anything bad about their leader is a serious crime that lands people in prison and Xi Jinping makes sure of that. Is Trump throwing Americans in prison for badmouthing him? Of course not.

About Trump haters posting rants and attacks, resist the temptation to respond to them. If you ignore them, their thread will disappear quickly enough and hopefully, they will too.
You're seriously expecting us to immediately transform into China?

In an astonishingly short time, Trump has denigrated and tried to undercut, not just the Democrats, but the courts, the free press, scientific experts, and a range of legal opposition. He has disregarded a whole range of laws and traditions, publicly declaring that he can do whatever he wants and publicly voicing admiration of autocrats. He approved supporter's wish for extra-judicial killing, as with "String her up!" This is the closest we've come to a tyrant in America, and it will only get worse if he is re-elected.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies