Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2020, 09:20 PM
bu2

24,117 posts, read 14,928,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babe_Ruth View Post
Would Cooper's statue be with, or without, his shades ?..
Ty Cobb
Pete Rose
Shoeless Joe Jackson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2020, 09:51 PM

29,528 posts, read 22,718,437 times
Hugh Hefner

Old 07-04-2020, 10:03 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,398,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Hugh Hefner
Nah, just the playmates will do.

That's one bust I'd like to see.

Old 07-05-2020, 01:56 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,888,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
One I would like to see honored and a GOOD movie made about is Bass Reeves. He was actually the real Rooster Cogburn. As much as I enjoyed both Rooster movies with John Wayne a historically accurate one about Reeves I would pay to see.

And a monument with him as subject would be cool.

yes!! i second bass reeves for being honored in that manner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Nah, just the playmates will do.

That's one bust I'd like to see.

without hefner, playboy magazine would ahve been just another girlie magazine with low rent women between the covers, and teh magazine would definitely have no sophistication. in other words it would have been hustler magazine instead of what it was.

Old 07-05-2020, 06:30 AM

8,090 posts, read 12,816,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCbaxter View Post
So you want to immortalize a guy who flew to Germany to receive a medal in person from Hermann Göring, on behalf of Adolph Hitler? A guy who wanted to negotiate away the nazis like Neville chamberlain tried to do?

Interesting.
Untrue.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charle...s_and_politics

In 1938, Hugh Wilson, the American ambassador to Germany, hosted a dinner for Lindbergh with Germany's air chief, Hermann Göring and three central figures in German aviation, Ernst Heinkel, Adolf Baeumker, and Willy Messerschmitt.[146] At this dinner Göring presented Lindbergh with the Commander Cross of the Order of the German Eagle. Lindbergh's acceptance proved controversial after Kristallnacht, an anti-Jewish pogrom in Germany a few weeks later.[147] Lindbergh declined to return the medal, later writing, "It seems to me that the returning of decorations, which were given in times of peace and as a gesture of friendship, can have no constructive effect. If I were to return the German medal, it seems to me that it would be an unnecessary insult.

You will also note that Charles Lindbergh was against intervention in our pre-war days and as such was smeared by political opponents as being a "Nazi". He was not.

Look what he did during WW2. Showed the Marines how they could safely double the bomb load of carrier based Corsairs. He also showed the Army Aircorps how to dramatically increase the range of its P-38 fighter. He also went on fighter missions against the Japanese downing one aircraft.

Oh, do I need to mention his flight across the Atlantic.

Old 07-05-2020, 06:45 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,706,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
President Trump recently mentioning that he would sign an EO creating a national monument in a large park setting, but didn't mention who would be included. So..who would be your top 3 Americans you would select? Here is mine:

Audie Murphy

Pat Tillman

Carl Sagan
Some years ago they were talking about adding the Sitting Bull, but I'd prefer Dan Marino.

Old 07-05-2020, 06:48 AM

14,485 posts, read 11,301,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
How about none? Seriously, why do you people want statues so bad anyway? Why are you trying to shove your opinions down other people's throats with tax dollars?
Oh shut up, no one here "wants statues so bad".

Old 07-05-2020, 07:55 AM

7,300 posts, read 3,404,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
President Trump recently mentioning that he would sign an EO creating a national monument in a large park setting, but didn't mention who would be included. So..who would be your top 3 Americans you would select? Here is mine:

Audie Murphy

Pat Tillman

Carl Sagan
You need a nation to be able to agree on a national monument.

What we have now are competing nations fighting for preferences under one law (aka: in one country) in a constrained geographic territory.

Old 07-05-2020, 07:56 AM

24,446 posts, read 23,110,611 times
Thor Captain America The Hulk Iron Man

Old 07-05-2020, 08:02 AM

8,183 posts, read 6,941,575 times
Here is the EO:
https://publicpool.kinja.com/subject...mon-1844264176

excerpt:

Quote:
(i) The National Garden should be composed of statues, including statues of John Adams, Susan B. Anthony, Clara Barton, Daniel Boone, Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain, Henry Clay, Davy Crockett, Frederick Douglass, Amelia Earhart, Benjamin Franklin, Billy Graham, Alexander Hamilton, Thomas Jefferson, Martin Luther King, Jr., Abraham Lincoln, Douglas MacArthur, Dolley Madison, James Madison, Christa McAuliffe, Audie Murphy, George S. Patton, Jr., Ronald Reagan, Jackie Robinson, Betsy Ross, Antonin Scalia, Harriet Beecher Stowe, Harriet Tubman, Booker T. Washington, George Washington, and Orville and Wilbur Wright.

(ii) The National Garden should be opened for public access prior to the 250th anniversary of the proclamation of the Declaration of Independence on July 4, 2026.
That's a fantastic list so far.

I think it's a beautiful idea. People from all walks of life who have made a positive contribution on our society. American Heroes. It absolutely should help bring people together. It's very positive and uplifting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies