Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2020, 09:20 AM

3,499 posts, read 2,787,848 times

Advertisements

The fact that leftist ideologies dominates Academia proves that conservative ideology is wrong! Since those in Academia are smart people!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2020, 09:21 AM

4,384 posts, read 4,236,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
Don't go into it for the money? That's ironically false

They are the most useless members of society, they literally produce nothing of value.and are unemployable anywhere else.

They have no practical skills whatsoever, their entire existence is complaining about how bad things are

But it's not good enough to be useless, now they are proving to be dangerous too. These marxist academics are enemies of the state
Yet they still get paid for working. Some people obviously see that they produce educated graduates of institutions of higher learning. Are educated people of no value? Are engineering professors themselves incapable of being engineers? Clearly medical school professors are practicing physicians in teaching hospitals. Are they not also academics?

It sounds as if perhaps you made choices about your own post-secondary learning experiences that exposed you to weak college teaching. That exists. There also exist excellent professors in a panoramic range of academic disciplines. Don't blame the academics for the meaninglessness of your own personal experience. Even when I had bad instructors, I made sure that I learned something in the classes that I had paid my own good money to take. More often, I had excellent professors who pushed me beyond my comfort zone to get me to grow in ways I couldn't have imagined.

Maybe you should try again and find an academic setting that is dedicated to teaching rather than job training. If you want training, go to trade school, not university.

Old 07-06-2020, 09:22 AM

3,336 posts, read 2,138,222 times
The irony in referring to any of the elements of wokeness as being academic can't be understated.

Old 07-06-2020, 09:22 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,476,450 times
Colleges being left leaning is nothing new. Nearly all K-12 teachers being left leaning is new and is what has changed youth behavior.

Old 07-06-2020, 09:24 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,720,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhpartridge View Post
Yet they still get paid for working. Some people obviously see that they produce educated graduates of institutions of higher learning. Are educated people of no value? Are engineering professors themselves incapable of being engineers? Clearly medical school professors are practicing physicians in teaching hospitals. Are they not also academics?

It sounds as if perhaps you made choices about your own post-secondary learning experiences that exposed you to weak college teaching. That exists. There also exist excellent professors in a panoramic range of academic disciplines. Don't blame the academics for the meaninglessness of your own personal experience. Even when I had bad instructors, I made sure that I learned something in the classes that I had paid my own good money to take. More often, I had excellent professors who pushed me beyond my comfort zone to get me to grow in ways I couldn't have imagined.

Maybe you should try again and find an academic setting that is dedicated to teaching rather than job training. If you want training, go to trade school, not university.
I should have been more specific, I did not mean to cast the net over the entire curriculum, especially not objective sciences like Physics and Chemistry, and not of disciplines like Psychology, Economics, etc...

The useless academics are the ones known as "Grievance Studies", like Critical Race Theory, Fat Studies, Q'ueer Theory, Women's Studies, etc.. There is no practical benefit of them to society, at all, and now we are seeing the dangers

Old 07-06-2020, 09:25 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,565,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordo View Post
The fact that leftist ideologies dominates Academia proves that conservative ideology is wrong! Since those in Academia are smart people!
I can’t tell you are being serious or sarcastic.

Old 07-06-2020, 09:26 AM

52,267 posts, read 52,686,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
I can’t tell you are being serious or sarcastic.
I was thinking the same thing.

Old 07-06-2020, 09:29 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,645,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticpearl View Post
Because most people in academia have never owned a business and don't understand how the real world works.

They exist in this imaginary world full of feelings and emotions and fail to recognize little of that matters when you're running a company and charged with a host of responsibilities.

So the precious little snowflakes these people teach show up to a job and are shocked that their fluffy princess feelings are of no concern to their boss. Either make money for the company or go back to living with your parents.
I don't know about that. I've owned 2 businesses and lean left. The two are not mutually exclusive.

Old 07-06-2020, 09:29 AM

24,632 posts, read 9,458,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhpartridge View Post
So why don't more conservatives go into academia to ensure a wider range of voices for the students to hear?
They do, but for the sake of not being alienated or fired, they’re forced to hide and suppress their true conservatism.

Do you really think a professor is allowed to say there are only 2 genders in this world, be pro life, and support the military? Talk about career suicide.

Old 07-06-2020, 09:39 AM

52,267 posts, read 52,686,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
They do, but for the sake of not being alienated or fired, they’re forced to hide and suppress their true conservatism.

Do you really think a professor is allowed to say there are only 2 genders in this world, be pro life, and support the military? Talk about career suicide.
It's not just academia. I work with a small group of people and one of them is my direct supervisor. I have to on a daily basis just shut up and listen to his far progressive leftist views. I can only change the subject so many times. He occasionally gets the hint and shuts up, but yeah, to keep the peace I just have to try and not talk about hot button subjects too much with him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies