Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2020, 09:05 AM

27,542 posts, read 28,630,498 times

Advertisements

Oh boy, if you have a Master's Degree, then you better hold on to it tight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2020, 09:07 AM

5,067 posts, read 1,664,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
RLL and MFM (IDE) still use the terminology but have long been obsoleted. In SCSI they refer to initiator/target but I've long still heard the terms master/slave still applied albeit incorrectly... due to the fact that SCSI spec allows for multiple initiators (masters) Still used in a lot of places in computer sciences... source code control still uses the terms.

You are talking about SAN(fibre channel and ISCSI) architecture there, completely different than the IDE bus(which now uses mostsly SATA) on a local system. SCSI was fairly well used in higher end servers back in the day for local storage (like the Adaptec 2940 controller) but these days its kind of exclusively a SAN thing.

At some point i bet these terms will come under attack too.

Old 07-06-2020, 09:08 AM

11,046 posts, read 6,632,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
'peanut gallery' is now verboten, says cnn.
What! I think that term is funny. WTH is wrong with that?

What about master/slave switches and slave cylinders? This is gonna be far reaching.

That said, language changes with time as society changes and that's OK.

Anyone using the terms "broad" or "dame" for women these days?

Old 07-06-2020, 09:09 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,368,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
It was not a functional noose and pics show that it was there for months before Bubba was even assigned the garage.
No, it wasn't a sliding noose, but the knot was tied that way intentionally. Yes, I'm aware that it was reportedly tied that way since last fall. That doesn't have anything to do with it not being your average piece of rope tied in a loop.

Further, Bubba never reported it - his crew chief did after another member of the crew notified him of it. Were a bunch of the garages' pull-downs tied this way? Lots of loops, only one tied up with the multiple coils above the loop, evidently.

So, while it doesn't seem that it was aimed at Bubba specifically, that pull-down is intentionally tied to look like a noose.

Old 07-06-2020, 09:15 AM

17,772 posts, read 13,665,953 times
Quote:
Is there something in the article that is factually incorrect? Got a problem with history and knowledge?

The article is explaining that there exist terms in our regular common vocabulary that have its roots in racism... understandable considering our history. As with everything racist/discriminatory, context matters. As such, the terms remain but the context today is different and doesn't imply racism... Words evolve.. meanings shift.... There are plenty of words in our language that have derogatory, insulting, offensive roots... but again.. context matters.

CNN wasn't the first to have an article like this... there are dozens that have been published well even before the internet was in existence. Are you saying that this is the first time you all noticed? Really? Or is it just another stab at a news source that you despise....??

There was a time a straight male in a happy mood would be called "gay". Today, doing that might get you punched.

You right conservatives are as hung up on racism as the looney left.
I was highly disappointed in the tone of the article. Just gave a history of the words and phrases but did not really spin them with outrage. I did think the Master's golf thing was a bit off because I figured it was referring to the golfer's skill as opposed to slave masters.

A couple of others seemed weak "Master bedroom". I always figured that came from the fact that the other bedrooms were for the kids and the parent's were the "masters".

But where do these right wingers think "Sold down the river" came from?

Old 07-06-2020, 09:16 AM

2,868 posts, read 1,148,260 times
Well, thank the LORD I have CNN around to educate my un-woke self.
Elitism at its finest...

Old 07-06-2020, 09:16 AM

15,070 posts, read 10,089,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipsyguam View Post
You are talking about SAN(fibre channel and ISCSI) architecture there, completely different than the IDE bus(which now uses mostsly SATA) on a local system. SCSI was fairly well used in higher end servers back in the day for local storage (like the Adaptec 2940 controller) but these days its kind of exclusively a SAN thing.

At some point i bet these terms will come under attack too.
I know they are different (I am a development manager in storage albeit in the software side). I was saying that the term master/slave is still used in the context of both... .. even by white engineers... haha. its not in the context of being racist BUT they still have its roots/connotations in racist pass.

Again.. context matters.. in this tech topic as well as the wider general use in common language.

I doubt it will go any further than this thread... there have been decades of articles on these terms well before computers. It is silly to think that the vast majority of those wanting better/equal treatment are hung up solely on such trivial things....

Old 07-06-2020, 09:20 AM

39,199 posts, read 27,575,665 times
lol

Old 07-06-2020, 09:22 AM

19,603 posts, read 12,206,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
No, it wasn't a sliding noose, but the knot was tied that way intentionally. Yes, I'm aware that it was reportedly tied that way since last fall. That doesn't have anything to do with it not being your average piece of rope tied in a loop.

Further, Bubba never reported it - his crew chief did after another member of the crew notified him of it. Were a bunch of the garages' pull-downs tied this way? Lots of loops, only one tied up with the multiple coils above the loop, evidently.

So, while it doesn't seem that it was aimed at Bubba specifically, that pull-down is intentionally tied to look like a noose.
In saner times, if one noticed something like that, you'd just untie it and retie it into another type of knot and that's the end of it.

Old 07-06-2020, 09:24 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,880,244 times
Quote:
Is there something in the article that is factually incorrect? Got a problem with history and knowledge?

The article is explaining that there exist terms in our regular common vocabulary that have its roots in racism... understandable considering our history. As with everything racist/discriminatory, context matters. As such, the terms remain but the context today is different and doesn't imply racism... Words evolve.. meanings shift.... There are plenty of words in our language that have derogatory, insulting, offensive roots... but again.. context matters.

CNN wasn't the first to have an article like this... there are dozens that have been published well even before the internet was in existence. Are you saying that this is the first time you all noticed? Really? Or is it just another stab at a news source that you despise....??

There was a time a straight male in a happy mood would be called "gay". Today, doing that might get you punched.

You right conservatives are as hung up on racism as the looney left.
I used uppity the other day about non-mask wearers. Had I known it was racist, I would have not used it. Sold up the river I'll replace with thrown under the bus when talking about being double crossed.

The problem I see is people don't like that they are being told to change the way they think regardless of the why or how. People are always like that. I'm sure some people preferred two lame roads before they were widened...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies