Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2020, 01:27 PM

72,971 posts, read 62,547,130 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody01 View Post
Well no kidding Captain Obvious.....no one is saying that blacks, from anywhere, embrace the Confederate Flag. Why would they?

I'm taking a leap here, but I think it's only white folks that fly that flag

It's about white southern heritage
That is the point. If it was really about southern heritage, then all southerners would embrace it. The whole "southern heritage" line is bull feces to me.

And considering what the Confederate cause is about, why would anyone want to embrace the Confederate flag? Why is that what someone would want to use? Come on, the Confederate cause was explicitly about keeping Blacks enslaved and making enemies of the USA. Is that the kind of message many would want to send? If not, then said persons who are proud to be southern need to pick something else, because it sends the wrong message. If that is the cause one wants to represent, if one wishes slavery and Jim Crow still existed, then I have nothing more to say to such a person other than "you're a threat to me".

Old 07-09-2020, 01:33 PM

5,097 posts, read 2,311,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
And I would have hated those persons too for the same reason. I don't respect anyone who wears Nazi regalia or Confederate regalia. To me they are both horrible. I think I would be among those said "rebels" don't like.
Well, whatever. I'm ethnically Polish. My grandfather fought in Europe in World War II. But I ain't gonna get my panties in no twist over some biker wearing SS bolts or a swastika.

Old 07-09-2020, 01:36 PM

5,097 posts, read 2,311,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
In my little rural PA town, you can see the Confederate flag flown from flagpoles (on private property), painted on barns and sheds, on the backs of pickup trucks, and draped from the windows of houses (otherwise nice single family homes).

It represents more than pissing off people...I think it's more a declaration of "you're not going to tell ME how/what to think!!!"
Hell, I'm from inner-city Pittsburgh, and I've seen it here. Though usually on the back of a truck or something like that, not on someone's house.

Old 07-09-2020, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat lou View Post
Well, whatever. I'm ethnically Polish. My grandfather fought in Europe in World War II. But I ain't gonna get my panties in no twist over some biker wearing SS bolts or a swastika.
I'm not you. By the way, I hate all Nazi regalia as well. I refuse to speak to anyone who has SS lightning bolts or a swastika. That tells me said person is a white supremacist. And it would also say they are likely anti-Slavic. What would you do if one of your friends decided they would get a swastika or SS tattoo?

Old 07-09-2020, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Hell, I'm from inner-city Pittsburgh, and I've seen it here. Though usually on the back of a truck or something like that, not on someone's house.
Right now I'm wondering what is up with Pennsylvania. For crying out loud, the Confederates INVADED Pennsylvania.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Early%...n_Pennsylvania

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Hanover

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Fairfield

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Carlisle

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Gettysburg

And from what I gather based on my interactions with city-data members from Pennsylvania, I sense there is alot of racial tension in Pennsylvania.

Old 07-09-2020, 02:06 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,334,174 times
Flying the Confederate Battle Flag is a form of virtue signaling.

The virtue being the noble cause of owning and debasing other people, and the signal being, 'Look, I'm an a-hole. Ain't I charming!"

Old 07-09-2020, 02:08 PM

7,520 posts, read 2,805,770 times
Quote:
Quote:
I'm not you. By the way, I hate all Nazi regalia as well. I refuse to speak to anyone who has SS lightning bolts or a swastika. That tells me said person is a white supremacist. And it would also say they are likely anti-Slavic. What would you do if one of your friends decided they would get a swastika or SS tattoo?
It's more likely those are prison tats than not.

Old 07-09-2020, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwood66 View Post
It's more likely those are prison tats than not.
I know all about prison tattoos. I know all about the Aryan Brotherhood and other white supremacist gangs in prison. One reason I don't want to go to prison. I have no interest in belonging to any gang. I don't "roll" with a particular race. I'm not tribal like that. I never felt like I needed to "stick with my own kind". I'll hang with a White person just as I'll hang with a Black person. I've watched enough NatGeo documentaries about prison, not to mention the Fresh Out youtube channel, that I will avoid prison. Never been to prison, never want to go.

As for those tattoos, it isn't just prisoners who get those tattoos. Some Neo-Nazi skinheads get those tattoos as well. Swastikas, SS lightning bolts, and the like. Some Neo-Nazis get Confederate flag tattoos, whether they live in the South or not. Point being, I would have to consider that said persons stand behind the principles of the Nazis and the Confederates.

Old 07-09-2020, 02:32 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,865,118 times
Quote:
I know all about prison tattoos. I know all about the Aryan Brotherhood and other white supremacist gangs in prison. One reason I don't want to go to prison. I have no interest in belonging to any gang. I don't "roll" with a particular race. I'm not tribal like that. I never felt like I needed to "stick with my own kind". I'll hang with a White person just as I'll hang with a Black person. I've watched enough NatGeo documentaries about prison, not to mention the Fresh Out youtube channel, that I will avoid prison. Never been to prison, never want to go.

As for those tattoos, it isn't just prisoners who get those tattoos. Some Neo-Nazi skinheads get those tattoos as well. Swastikas, SS lightning bolts, and the like. Some Neo-Nazis get Confederate flag tattoos, whether they live in the South or not. Point being, I would have to consider that said persons stand behind the principles of the Nazis and the Confederates.
I think this is not honest or accurate. I think you prefer to hang out in predominately white society and demand that they all comport to your self serving ideas and actions.

Old 07-09-2020, 02:40 PM

2,189 posts, read 1,402,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
It wasn't Confederate territory, as the Confederate States of America was an illegitimate regime that tried to lay claim to United States of America land!
And when was that determined? 1869, 4 years after the Civil War was over (Texas vs White).

I even question some of the Justices on that one, but that's another story.

But whoever likes it or not, the fort was located within the boundaries of the Confederacy.

But even with that said, why not give the South the benefit of the doubt. What would have been the great sacrifice for the Union to have a little common sense understanding and just leave, like they were politely asked to. It was very lowly staffed and very lowly stocked as it was. They even considered it, but in the end they decided to not comply.

I myself wished they would have left for a very interesting reason. I would love to have known what would have happened next. If the South was left alone, they would not be the ones to start anything.

Want to remind anybody, that slavery was wrong and needed to stop. But not the way Lincoln chose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies