Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2020, 07:27 AM

8,331 posts, read 2,959,252 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Simple: To celebrate the people who took up arms against the United States.
Dumb answer. “Simple” yet you still got it wrong.

Old 07-07-2020, 08:20 AM

2,189 posts, read 1,402,459 times
Late to respond and only read a few of the replies, but who invaded who??

Maybe if some of you all lived in Virginia back then you would have a better understanding. Although slavery was totally wrong and only a small percentage of Southerners owned slaves, Virginia was invaded. When a force invades your territory, you defend it.

Later on in the war, thousands of innocent Virginia citizens, many against slavery themselves, were horribly victimized by the likes of Sheridan and Hunter.

Who in their right mind lets an outside force terrorize and paralyze your homeland without defending it?

Slavery needed to stop, but not the way Lincoln chose.

The Flag represents those who fought and died defending their homeland. Not all mean it that way, but don't eliminate the ones that do.

Old 07-07-2020, 08:24 AM

2,707 posts, read 1,032,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
The flag is a racist symbol so your parents taught you wrong. It's not your heritage.
That's called an OPINION we all have one and the only one that matters to me is MINE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
rebel = traitor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leona Valley View Post
Triggered by that flag = kitty
+1 can't rep you again but that's exactly right.

Old 07-07-2020, 08:28 AM

23,856 posts, read 24,091,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annandale_Man View Post
Most of the statues were erected as a "F U" by the states that were against giving blacks civil rights. They were reminders to blacks who was still in charge.
Oh, you HAVE to back that one up.

Let's see it. Provide what you can to support your assertion above. I think that it's much more complex than that, and that each statue will have it's own history and reasons for being placed, most of which probably having nothing to do with slavery or race, but that's just a common-sense guess.

YOU made a declaration. Now YOU should back that up, lest people think you're just not serious and that you make stuff up on the fly because it sounds good, like most of the people here do.

Old 07-07-2020, 08:33 AM

2,189 posts, read 1,402,459 times
Quote:
I believe you have it backwards. Read my post above. Lincoln invaded Virginia. If you are referring to Fort Sumter, what a weak, weak reason to decide to go to war. What did Fort Sumter hurt, besides Pride??

For those that may not know, no one died from enemy fire there and they even had a respectful chance to leave (politely asked) well ahead a time in the low stocked and low staffed fort, in an area that was located in Confederate territory to boot.

If that's your reasoning, like I said, weak. Has to be the absolute weakest reason of all American wars in history.

Last edited by 16 Acres; 07-07-2020 at 08:45 AM..

Old 07-07-2020, 10:23 AM

12,687 posts, read 6,729,827 times
Quote:
A lost cause, yes. But we lost some things in the bargain that were worth keeping, and it's really nobody's fault. Prior to the Civil War, the states held most of the power and most of the responsibility for all things government. They generally did a good job of taking care of themselves.

In order to assert their right to preserve the Union and later bring the South back into the Union, the North had to drastically and largely Unconstitutionally increase the power of the federal government, and crush the power of the state governments. This has led to our current status where the states only have power and authority wherever the federal government does not assert their own authority. The states have gone from being proud, self-sufficient and distinct, to today when they're just lines on a map and their governments are like stray dogs begging for whatever scraps that the federal government is willing to toss out to the obedient.

For some, the Battle Flag of Northern Virginia represents the failed resistance to the current status quo. A memorial to the lost era when states had a lot more rights and power, and governmental authority resided close to home instead of thousands of miles away in a city you've probably never been to in your life. For most of the Confederates, that's what they were fighting for. It was the very few rich and powerful Southerners ruling over them who made slavery their last straw issue. As General Longstreet so often put it, they should have freed the slaves before firing on Fort Sumter.

Old 07-07-2020, 10:52 AM

19,966 posts, read 7,866,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
I was protesting against my neighbors? Where did you get that.

As a child in the 90s, we had a cross burned in my lawn because my Jewish family dared "contaminate" the community. The Confederate flag was present at that event.

The children of those same types were the people who had Confederate flag bumper stickers. It was obvious to anyone paying attention, even 20 years ago, what the Confederate flag represents.
You forget what you posted about that incident. There was essentially a racial protest in your town your family moved to, and you took a side and were trying to get people to join you in the protest. You also posted a vow to "absolutely replace (them)". So who was against whom first?

Old 07-07-2020, 11:27 AM

4,653 posts, read 1,947,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyRUMad View Post
Wow, you had two traitors as grandfathers? That’s crazy.
people forget if any of us had ancestors here during the revolution(i did) then we had traitors in our family. They were traitors to the British Crown. A lot of this stuff is based on your point of view. My ancestors fought on the side of the North, several of them died. I don't hate the southerners that killed them and certainly not their descendants. Oh and by the way no black person need thank me or offer me money for the efforts of my ancestors or their loss of life.

Old 07-07-2020, 11:27 AM

6,963 posts, read 2,696,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
Y'all act like bringing up Byrd is your get out of jail free card. Byrd was a member of the Klan for a sliver of his life and then spent the rest of his life disavowing that sliver. People are allowed to make mistakes and redeem themselves. Who are you defending that's done that?
Bryd joined the Klan so that he could get elected to office. He should have resigned since it was Klan money and voters that put him in office.

Old 07-07-2020, 11:33 AM

4,477 posts, read 3,297,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
Are you saying that justifies what happened to Floyd? Because that's what it sounds like.... What makes you think that blacks don't care about KKK and other killings as well?
How did you get that out of what she said? (involving Floyd).

What makes me think that blacks don't care about other killings of blacks as well is how many blacks are killed every week and there are ZERO mass demonstrations demanding action.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
In the spirit of 1865, all Confederate symbols represent the REUNION of all Americans. Anyone who attacks them, attacks the UNION that they represent. That is why there are Confederate memorials, flags, and even forts named after Confederate soldiers. It is not to honor their secession, but to welcome them back to the UNION.

Tearing down statues and eradicating Confederate symbols only benefits those who wish to DIVIDE THE UNION, and they're not benign, nor moral.
Your entire post was spot on, but the last part of what so few are willing to acknowledge or discuss.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies