Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2020, 06:26 PM
bu2

24,093 posts, read 14,879,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX Wahine View Post
No it doesn’t. It’s purely used to denigrate white women. Go read the Wikipedia and Urban Dictionary definitions if you don’t believe me.
If you use Wiki as a source you will get a failing grade even in high school, let alone college.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2020, 06:26 PM

9,049 posts, read 3,522,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
It can be applied to anyone.
It isn't though in the context of this discussion. That's the point.

Old 07-07-2020, 06:27 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,380,774 times
I did take a video of a "Karen" woman harassing me in public, although I never posted it because I wonder if she could sue me for posting it publicly. (It wasn't racial, I'm white, she's white).

Old 07-07-2020, 06:29 PM
bu2

24,093 posts, read 14,879,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
I called a guy at work a Karen when he bought a set of tires at Walmart then brought them to Sam's Club to have them installed. When they told him he couldn't do that he asked to speak to the manager. He said he preferred to be called a Kevin.
Karen's don't have a sense of humor.

Old 07-07-2020, 06:33 PM

11,027 posts, read 6,506,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
If you use Wiki as a source you will get a failing grade even in high school, let alone college.
Considering that “Karen” began as an online meme, it’s not at all a “fail” to use Wiki’s definition. There’s Urban Dictionary’s as well. Or you could just Google numerous other sources.

Old 07-07-2020, 08:44 PM

15,071 posts, read 10,099,201 times
Well.. there was a thread that was just deleted of an Asian (Chinese?) Karen. I'd post the youtube link but I'd probably get knocked by a mod...

I've always assumed that "Karen" really describes a behavior rather than a race.... At least that's how I've always seen it used...

Old 07-07-2020, 08:58 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,894,142 times
Quote:
I don’t agree with that at all. The term has been used pretty exclusively on white women. Even Wikipedia says this about the term:

While the term is used exclusively in a pejorative manner towards a person of a specific race and gender, some have argued that "Karen" lacks the historical context to be considered a slur.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karen_(slang)
Yes and it started really being used as an insult after a man who was married to a woman named Karen started a sub-Reddit mocking the ex. Eventually the man left but the Karen comments continued. Largely about speaking to the manager types. It is usually looked at as a middle-aged white woman with a Kate like bob haircut driving a soccer mom van. That don't mean a man can be a Karen nor does it mean an African-American woman couldn't be a Karen too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
That type of behavior has been around for eons, and it's not limited to white women. I just recently saw the name/label Karen attached to this behavior. Makes me wonder what would a nonwhite woman, or man who displayed such self-centered, self-entitled behavior be called?
I use Karen myself as a catch-all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
Not from what I see.....seems being racist has nothing to do with it. It seems that if a white woman speaks up, she is now criticized as being “entitled.”

For example, when I go to a restaurant alone - a nice one that will easily cost me $40 for dinner - I am often led to a small table shoved against the wall, the closest one to the bathrooms. Or, closest to the kitchen, with the waiters come in and out the swinging steel doors constantly. I AWAYS speak up and ask for another table, politely of course, where I will not be bothered by constant traffic or rest room smells. So, does that make me a Karen?

(And if you think it does, you should not be in the service industry.)
It isn't just a white woman but rather I see male Karens too. Hell, I am sure sometimes I am one and I have similar comments to your's. I mean some expect you to eat food that wasn't done right. I can't. If I ordered a medium rare steak, why should I eat a well done steak? Or if order no mushrooms, why must I eat it when mushrooms do leave my stomach in knots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
No those black women are Karens......Karens aren't just white women.
Yep. Not all have bob haircuts.

Quote:
I’ll tell you the same thing. Go read Wikipedia and Urban Dictionary definitions of Karen. Better yet - go find all the memes of black and Mexican and Asian women being called Karen and share them with us.
Karen really took off and became pop culture since the "Is Karen the n-word for white women?" articles came out in March and you also had Covid-Karens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaveWI View Post
That's my whole point which you avoided - double standard. See, THAT would be racist, yet Karen is funny. Care to address THAT?

Also, what are you doing to help end racial/social injustice? Better, still what have you done before the Floyd murder, to help? Let me guess, slacktivist, right? a couple of self hating, rich white folks, living in an affluent 99% white community, with a 99.9% white social circle, limousine liberals who make virtue signalling posts online, thinking that they are "helping the movement" Karen, let me tell you, that isn;t helping at all. I'll ask you what I ask others like you: How many ghettos have you gone into to minister to blacks who need guidance and help? How many blakc leaders have you reached out to and had meaningful dialogues with? How many protests have you organized? Classes taken, lectures attended? Have you visited the American Black Holocaust Museum or spoken to James Cameron before his passing? Let me know. My guess is 0, but you never can tell.
Karen isn't funny, Karens are annoying. It don't matter what race or gender they are, they also Karens. I don't understand why people think Karen memes have to be multi-racial or male.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerJAX View Post
I think I first heard the term a couple of years back, and it was descriptive term for aggressive/bossy/entitled women who treated store employees poorly. The behavior is a real thing, and somehow the name Karen got attached to it. It was a way describe someone as an entitled ***** within a certain context without using the term ***** in conversation. It didn't have a race angle to it. I wouldn't be surprised if Oprah is a Karen. My biggest issue with the term is that it's extremely unfair to women named Karen and has become over/mis-used and an insult. There wasn't much harm when only the cool kids were using it and knew about it, but it's pervasive use and misuse is unfair to people actually named Karen. The existence of the term is also slightly sexist imo, as we don't have a similar term for men who engage in the same behavior (they certainly exist). I guess we'll just have to go back to calling them entitled *******.
I think Karen is less offensive honestly.

Old 07-07-2020, 09:50 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,833,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
Of course it’s racist. How would it be if someone said, “these Tyrones need to....whatever.” But as we’ve seen, racism against whites is allowed, even encouraged, by the leftist mob.

The whites use the name "Thug" instead of Tyrone.

Also, the black equivalent to "Karen" is "Felicia"

Comes from the movie "Friday"

"Bye, Felicia"

Old 07-07-2020, 09:59 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,361,490 times
Quote:
I think it’s time to retire “Karen”. It’s done it’s time as an internet meme and these days is simply approved racism against white women. The premise of these type of women is funny, and often true, but it has morphed from Internet humor into lazy racism.
I've never found the Karen tag funny. Their behavior certainly isn't funny in the least.

It's racist, but I'm not sure the reaction to the Karens is racist.
It looks like a natural reaction to someone's needlessly bad behavior to me.

No matter what Karens are or aren't the meme isn't going to die off anytime soon, I expect. But it will once the Karens start watching their bad behavior more closely.

Old 07-07-2020, 10:00 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,361,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Nice try but no, it's clearly targeted at white women.
Well, sure they are! White women of a certain age and status are the worst offenders!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies