Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2020, 08:36 AM

2,707 posts, read 1,033,563 times

Advertisements

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/bid...exican-accents

Seriously? Come on dude! This is just offensive as hell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2020, 08:40 AM

2,923 posts, read 978,068 times
woke takes on a new meaning with this guy.....the only time he's ever awake he says or does something racist

Old 07-07-2020, 08:43 AM

5,581 posts, read 2,308,300 times
What's the problem with this OP? Miami has a Cuban immigrant population and Orlando has a large Puerto Rican population and Phoenix has a Mexican immigrant population. Does this offend you that the narrator speaks in the accent that matches the audience? Per the link:

Quote:
the version of the ad that aired in Miami featured a narrator with a Cuban accent, while in Orlando, the ad had a narrator with a Puerto Rican accent and, in Phoenix, the accent was Mexican.

Old 07-07-2020, 08:49 AM

2,707 posts, read 1,033,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Variable View Post
What's the problem with this OP? Miami has a Cuban immigrant population and Orlando has a large Puerto Rican population and Phoenix has a Mexican immigrant population. Does this offend you that the narrator speaks in the accent that matches the audience? Per the link:
Yes but ALL 3 speak Spanish so WHY change accents? This is just pathetic and personally offensive.

Old 07-07-2020, 08:49 AM

62,958 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Variable View Post
Are you saying that these Cuban, Puerto Rican and Mexican-Americans don't also speak English? Please.....

Old 07-07-2020, 08:55 AM

5,581 posts, read 2,308,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriotic Dissent View Post
Yes but ALL 3 speak Spanish so WHY change accents?

It's targeting specific audiences. This is done all the time for political ads. In rural farming areas, the ads feature people dressed casual, often with a farm in the background. In cities, the people are in city scenes. In retirement areas, the political ads feature white and gray haired seniors usually doing something casual. Ads targeting working class often feature a manufacturing plant in the background with people wearing blue jeans and t-shirts and they talk like people in that environment. Ads targeting teachers have kids and a school in the background and a teacher talking like a teacher. Ads in the south often have someone talking in a southern accent. You wouldn't play that southern accent advertisement in New England.

Old 07-07-2020, 08:56 AM

18,562 posts, read 7,372,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriotic Dissent View Post
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/bid...exican-accents

Seriously? Come on dude! This is just offensive as hell.
How is it supposed to be offensive?

Old 07-07-2020, 08:57 AM

17,798 posts, read 13,692,692 times
This is maybe the strangest cause of faux outrage I've ever seen.

It would be like a "leftist" complaining because Trump used a guy with a Boston accent for a commercial in Boston. Then used a guy with a southern accent in Atlanta, and a lady with a Minnesota accent for an add they were going to run in the Twin Cities.

If a lib complained about that, you would laugh.

Old 07-07-2020, 09:05 AM

5,764 posts, read 11,373,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Are you saying that these Cuban, Puerto Rican and Mexican-Americans don't also speak English? Please.....
The vast majority speak English quite well, sometimes better than persons whose native language is English.
That is not the issue here. Spanish language TV stations typically have TV commercials in Spanish, not in English. I watch the news on Univision several times a week, and rarely see an ad in English. So it is not a surprise that a Biden ad appears in Spanish on this station.

When someone speaks Spanish with a Cuban or Puerto Rican accent (which are similar Caribbean sounding dialects), I sometimes struggle to understand. My brain is tuned to Spanish with a Mexican, Colombian or Chilean accent. I watched a Cuban detective TV series on Netflix, 4 Seasons in Havana, and I turned on Spanish subtitles to help me understand the Spanish language audio.

It makes sense that a Spanish language ad in Miami had a Cuban dialect or accent, one in Orlando had a Puerto Rican accent and one in LA or Phoenix had a Mexican accent. It's no big deal. Someone has a case of BDS (Biden derangement syndrom) to complain about this.

Old 07-07-2020, 09:12 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,373,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
The vast majority speak English quite well, sometimes better than persons whose native language is English.
That is not the issue here. Spanish language TV stations typically have TV commercials in Spanish, not in English. I watch the news on Univision several times a week, and rarely see an ad in English. So it is not a surprise that a Biden ad appears in Spanish on this station.

When someone speaks Spanish with a Cuban or Puerto Rican accent (which are similar Caribbean sounding dialects), I sometimes struggle to understand. My brain is tuned to Spanish with a Mexican, Colombian or Chilean accent. I watched a Cuban detective TV series on Netflix, 4 Seasons in Havana, and I turned on Spanish subtitles to help me understand the Spanish language audio.

It makes sense that a Spanish language ad in Miami had a Cuban dialect or accent, one in Orlando had a Puerto Rican accent and one in LA or Phoenix had a Mexican accent. It's no big deal. Someone has a case of BDS (Biden derangement syndrom) to complain about this.
Agree.

To the OP - I’m very confused with your outrage here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies