Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: We cannot shut down the schools long term. They must reopen in the fall.
Yes, life must go on. 86 62.32%
No, the lockdown of the schools should continue until it is 'safe', however long that takes. 52 37.68%
Voters: 138. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2020, 09:15 AM

19,573 posts, read 8,512,122 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
simple solution, open schools, if you don't believe it's safe for your kids to attend keep them out of school for a year. Nothing wrong with pushing school back a year. If you can't keep working to stay home with them, just do it.
This is the option here in Texas. The schools are in the process of opening on schedule, but the state guidelines allow any parent who wants to keep their child out of school to do so. The parent can stay home with their child - just as they are prescribing that tens of millions of other parents should be forced to do, without any option.

In Texas, the parents will have the choice to go either way that most people here are recommending, as far as their own children are concerned. Surely that should be the case for parents and their children accross the country, in all 50 states, nationwide.

Are you "Pro-choice" or "Pro-lockdown"? Clearly, the schools should be reopened and the decision as to whether to send them should be left up to the parents. Case closed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2020, 09:19 AM

6,156 posts, read 7,217,418 times
Trump doesn't care about the children going back to school because he cares. He's pushing them to go back to school so that the parents can go back to work. He's desperate to get the economy back on track before the election. He'll push for it even if it kills people. The virus doesn't care who is Republican or Democrat. It doesn't care, its going to do what it does.

Old 07-08-2020, 09:20 AM

4,049 posts, read 2,739,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
The response has been botched by all.
Democratic governors.
Republican governors.
Trump.
The media.
The people who won't do the most basic things like wear a mask and use good common sense.

Stop blaming Trump for all of the ills of the world.

Where in my post did I blame Trump for all the ills of the world?
Nowhere
I specifically was talking about his response to this virus & the fact that he is ill equipped to be a leader of a country.

Old 07-08-2020, 09:36 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,244,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sindey View Post

Where in my post did I blame Trump for all the ills of the world?
Nowhere
I specifically was talking about his response to this virus & the fact that he is ill equipped to be a leader of a country.
OK, but when you say he is ill equipped to be a leader, then the governors who also botched this thing, are equally as incompetent. And I'm talking about both parties.

Old 07-08-2020, 09:45 AM

21,430 posts, read 7,447,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax_G View Post
Isn't that the way of America now? Look at the meeting today. Trump, who is an uneducated buffoon. Melania, who is also an uneducated buffoon, all got together to discuss the education of American children. It's painfully absurd. We love to have the least educated, least experienced, idiocracy we can muster. That is 2020s American exceptionalism.
"On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron."
H. L. Mencken

Old 07-08-2020, 09:46 AM

24,596 posts, read 9,434,738 times
I know liberals don’t consider people of color very much in their decision making, but when you close poor schools you’re going to throw these kids into local gangs. Their parents sure as hell won’t be there for them. Academics, coaches, teachers, counselors, and school sports was all they had.

Rich people aren’t affected by lockdowns and school closures.

Old 07-08-2020, 09:48 AM

19,573 posts, read 8,512,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
OK, but when you say he is ill equipped to be a leader, then the governors who also botched this thing, are equally as incompetent. And I'm talking about both parties.
The problem I have with all of this "botching" it talk is that nobody seems to have a clear sense of what the objectives and reasonable expectations were beforehand that applied to political leaders of BOTH PARTIES equally. That is, they would have been the same for Obama as for Trump.

First performance standards (objectives) for handling this sort of a situation have to be established BEFORE the situation starts. Until those are in place, all attacks on whoever for having "Botched" their handling of something like this is just the same old partisan political feces flinging.

Old 07-08-2020, 09:55 AM

2,013 posts, read 3,519,252 times
Daycares have been open this whole time, right? Have we seen a huge spread there among students, or are teachers working there getting sick? The kids certainly aren't wearing masks and social distancing, though I'm sure the employees are. Not sure if there's a way to look at daycare statistics for any sort of reference.

Old 07-08-2020, 10:09 AM

21,430 posts, read 7,447,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
I know liberals don’t consider people of color very much in their decision making, but when you close poor schools you’re going to throw these kids into local gangs. Their parents sure as hell won’t be there for them. Academics, coaches, teachers, counselors, and school sports was all they had.

Rich people aren’t affected by lockdowns and school closures.
The question is not about closing schools actually (schools have already been closed by governors and school districts in many places due to the pandemic) but the safety at the time of re-opening.

It's not only people of color who are poor, it is people of all backgrounds who need these services and children of all backgrounds deserve the best we can give them.

I would not send my kids, or grandchildren, into a fire hazard, nor a cesspool. It's generally bad for them. I don't see how anyone could justify sending them into classroom until the situation has been improved enough to keep the classroom from becoming a super-spreader event. We can do this, we will conquer all of these issues, but haste in re-opening can be dangerous. We have already seen in real time how some governors re-opened their states too soon and really screwed the people over by doing so.

If Trump is really interested in re-opening schools he will back the latest recovery bill designed to put money into local governments to help them deal with this unprecedented situation.

Let's be smart about this.

Old 07-08-2020, 10:44 AM

45,676 posts, read 23,990,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
Actually, it is you guys who are doing that. You are projecting, yet again.
Do you really believe Democrats want schools to stay shut for political reason?

If so -- links to where Democrat politicians are calling for schools to stay shut nation wide.

I do think people on the left and right want the local authorities to make the decision without being bullied into it by a President who wants to create an image that all is well so he can claim success and be re-elected.

I'm confused -- when there are serious issues with states getting supplies/resources to combat a crisis Trump dumps on the Governors. When Trump wants to 'paint' a movie like picture he pushes Governors to do his bidding (without any clear policy/procedure/strategy/research for his actions).

Schools should open in communities where the virus is clearly mitigated.

In Florida ---demanding schools open in a midst of a surge, without any strategy to be able to divert to a more reasonable strategy -- is jut politics. It isn't about healthy, safety, wellfare of its citizens.

I think in some areas schools should open -- but they shouldn't be threatened with losing funding if they don't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies