Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2020, 02:21 PM

3,240 posts, read 3,198,364 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Duckworth simply said - in response to Trump's defending of Confederate monuments - that Trump should be focused on different priorities not "dead traitors" - the Confederate "heroes"). She did not call George Washington a traitor. Stop with the hyperbole.
The transcript of the speech makes no mention of the Confederacy. The statues Trump mentioned were Washington, Lincoln, Grant, Andrew Jackson, and abolitionists. Duckworth is open to having Washington’s removed.

Old 07-08-2020, 02:27 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,462,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizrap View Post
The transcript of the speech makes no mention of the Confederacy. The statues Trump mentioned were Washington, Lincoln, Grant, Andrew Jackson, and abolitionists. Duckworth is open to having Washington’s removed.
She said those calling for that should "be heard".

Funny, I thought citizens being heard by our government was kind of the whole point of the country?

Old 07-08-2020, 02:32 PM

9,981 posts, read 5,684,706 times
Quote:
Duckworth simply said - in response to Trump's defending of Confederate monuments - that Trump should be focused on different priorities not "dead traitors" - the Confederate "heroes"). She did not call George Washington a traitor. Stop with the hyperbole.
Sorry but you don't get away with this kind of cheap deflection in the internet age when prominent peoples' public statements are readily accessible to the public. Here is what Duckworth said:

Quote:
"What really struck me about this speech that the president gave at Mount Rushmore was that he spent more time worried about honoring dead Confederates than he did talking about the lives of our 130,000 Americans who lost their lives to COVID-19, or by warning Russia off of the bounties they're putting on Americans' heads. His priorities are all wrong here. He should be talking about what we're going to do to overcome this pandemic. What are we going to do to push Russia back? Instead, he had no time for that. He spent all his time talking about dead traitors."
Don't want to take my word for it? Well, here's the video where she says it.

Meanwhile, here's a list (posted now for the third time since you and every other Schmuckworth defender keeps looking the other way) of every person venerated in Trump's speech, a transcript of which can be found here:
  • George Washington
  • Thomas Jefferson
  • Abraham Lincoln
  • Teddy Roosevelt
  • Andrew Jackson
  • Ulysses S. Grant
  • Frederick Douglass
  • Wild Bill Hickock
  • Buffalo Bill Cody
  • The Wright Brothers
  • The Tuskegee Airmen
  • Harriet Tubman
  • Clara Barton
  • Jesse Owens
  • George Patton
  • Louie Armstrong
  • Alan Shepard
  • Elvis Presley
  • Mohammad Ali
  • Walt Whitman
  • Mark Twain
  • Irving Berlin
  • Ella Fitzgerald
  • Frank Sinatra
  • Bob Hope
  • Oh yeah, and the brave soldiers who repelled Pickett's Charge and changed the tide of the war in favor of the Union.
I'm very curious as to which members of this list you consider "dead traitors."

Old 07-08-2020, 02:34 PM

1,769 posts, read 1,691,703 times
Quote:

Funny, I thought citizens being heard by our government was kind of the whole point of the country?

Well, if we are being honest, the people tearing down statues are not really interested in dialog. I do think that Tammy Duckworth was basically dodging the questions, as I stated in my previous posts. She was asked to clarify who she was referring to with her "dead traitors" comment on Trump's speech, as "traitors" is a term that we are used to hearing with regard to Confederate leaders but not George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, etc. It was an attempt to get her to clarify by name who she was talking about. She dodged the question and answered a followup question with a vaguer response of "we should start off by having a national dialogue". While dialogue and listening to people's opinions is good, intelligent people basically understand that when a politician provides an answer like that, they are really just trying to avoid providing a real answer that clarifies their own feelings.

Old 07-08-2020, 02:34 PM

7,520 posts, read 2,810,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nap1313 View Post
How does her patriotism have nothing to do with her legs?

You don’t have a debate on policy by name calling and questioning love of country. Of course, this is Tucker Carlson, so we know he’s not looking for a serious conversation, but rather attention and ratings.
She is capable of going on Carlson's show and debating isn't she? Let's see that. I notice you ignored the part where I said "with regard to her policies" but that is to be expected.

Old 07-08-2020, 02:35 PM

Quote:

Another waste of taxpayers’ dollars—oh yes, let’s have hearings on Washington and whether we should keep his statues on display because he was a slave holder.

Nothing better to do with our country’s money. These statues are under attack by a mob—I rue the day this country is governed by mob.

Old 07-08-2020, 02:36 PM

1,769 posts, read 1,691,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwood66 View Post
She is capable of going on Carlson's show and debating isn't she? Let's see that.
According to Carlson, her office stated that she would only do so if he apologized to her and then she would "consider" it. Essentially, she declined. Even if he apologized, she would not have gone on the show and clarified her statements and stance.

Old 07-08-2020, 02:37 PM

7,520 posts, read 2,810,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
Basically, I am questioning your patriotism right now, and it has nothing to do with your legs. Senator Duckworth has given a life of public service, Tucker Carlson has not done anything of the sort.

Tucker Carlson doesn't know what patriotism is, he makes his living creating senseless strife, and you are his mark.

What Senator Duckworth said was that we need a national dialog on the subject of statues and memorials at some point. That is basically what we have been having here in the forums. And I agree with her, it is a fit subject for discussion.

What Carlson said in (in other words) was that Democrats don't really want a discussion. His exact words were "They're not looking for any kind of colloquy. What they want is the soliloquy", which he doesn't support with a quote or any sort of proof, it's just a rant and a lie.

That's ok, he's not a journalist, he's a talking head performance artist. Carlson is not bound by the norms of journalism, he doesn't have to be honest, he is there to 'entertain' ... to gin you up.
blah blah blah, ad hominem, blah blah blah.

Old 07-08-2020, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jardine8 View Post
Well, if we are being honest, the people tearing down statues are not really interested in dialog. I do think that Tammy Duckworth was basically dodging the questions, as I stated in my previous posts. She was asked to clarify who she was referring to with her "dead traitors" comment on Trump's speech, as "traitors" is a term that we are used to hearing with regard to Confederate leaders but not George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, etc. It was an attempt to get her to clarify by name who she was talking about. She dodged the question and answered a followup question with a vaguer response of "we should start off by having a national dialogue". While dialogue and listening to people's opinions is good, intelligent people basically understand that when a politician provides an answer like that, they are really just trying to avoid providing a real answer that clarifies their own feelings.
I read an article that said she basically parroted what the liberal media was reporting. She knew she could get away with her statements until conservative journalists followed up. If she was that intellectually lazy, then she deserves the criticism. Who knows, she may be Biden’s running mate but she’ll need a greater command of the facts as VP.

Old 07-08-2020, 02:50 PM

30,639 posts, read 18,235,725 times
Quote:
What Confederate heroes was Donald Trump praising or otherwise prioritizing, either at his South Dakota speech (which is what she was explicitly referring to as other posts have shown) or otherwise? She was dishonest, as Trump's focus has never been on prioritizing Confederate monuments, but rather on the rule of law (e.g. calling for cities and states to stop allowing lawlessness destruction of taxpayer property) and to stop erasing history. What president shouldn't focus on calling for the rule of law and order to be respected? The purpose of Duckworth's rant was clear, which was to tie Trump to the "dead traitors."

Also, I could respect people like Duckworth if they didn't politicize everything. Indeed, she will never call out Joe Biden who actually voted to restore the citizenship (posthumously) of one of these "dead traitors" and subject of many a statue removal (i.e. Robert E. Lee).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies