Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2020, 05:16 PM

25,436 posts, read 9,793,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
This is false. The risk of serious illness for a child with covid is NOT zero. Many children wind up in the hospital with covid.
In my hometown two children, 4 and 2, tested positive today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2020, 05:17 PM

25,436 posts, read 9,793,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yspobo View Post
My step-sister is dead because she was in the hospital and they weren't paying much attention to her. It's a lousy hospital most of the time anyway. They weren't allowing anyone to be with her because of their new virus policies. Had someone been with her she'd likely still be alive. All she did was have a baby. She died back in May. Neither her or her husband had the virus. Her little baby will grow up never knowing his mother.
I'm so sorry for the loss of your step sister. That's just awful.

Old 07-12-2020, 05:27 PM

407 posts, read 122,896 times
Quote:
Public schools tend to have at least two or three classrooms for each grade, sometimes more. Simply find out which parents want their children home doing their schooling online and assign them to classrooms for that. The parents that want their kids in a regular school setting can get that. Then, there would be enough space opened up from all the ones staying home that the kids can social distance.
That will require more teachers. Our district is trying to figure out how a teacher can manage a class on site and virtually...providing any in our district decide to do on site teaching. it's all going to be super $$$.

Quote:
My step-sister is dead because she was in the hospital and they weren't paying much attention to her. It's a lousy hospital most of the time anyway. They weren't allowing anyone to be with her because of their new virus policies. Had someone been with her she'd likely still be alive. All she did was have a baby. She died back in May. Neither her or her husband had the virus. Her little baby will grow up never knowing his mother.
I am so sorry for your loss. That poor baby.

Old 07-12-2020, 05:55 PM

13,233 posts, read 7,286,273 times
Quote:
Sorry about your sister recently a co-worker lost her niece to child birth I was shocked to know that still happens in 2020 in the US. I hope the family has contacted an attorney regarding malpractice just because of a policy not allow visitors care should not be lacking.

Old 07-12-2020, 07:55 PM

8,208 posts, read 3,479,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax_G View Post
That will require more teachers. Our district is trying to figure out how a teacher can manage a class on site and virtually...providing any in our district decide to do on site teaching. it's all going to be super $$$.
No, it would be the same number of teachers. Say for example the fifth grade in a particular school normally has four separate fifth grade classrooms. Upon enrolling, the parents state whether they want online or in-class instruction. If say half are choosing online, then two teachers/classrooms would be assigned to those. The other two would be for in-class instruction. Or they could even only have one teacher/classroom for the online students and the in-class instruction divided among the three teachers/classrooms. Since there would be half the students, they would be able to spread the students out more.

Most of the students going back to school will likely be lower income students. Their parents would be unable to be employed and survive without the schools being open. The middle class and upper class would be able to afford more options.

Old 07-12-2020, 08:03 PM

407 posts, read 122,896 times
Quote:
No, it would be the same number of teachers. Say for example the fifth grade in a particular school normally has four separate fifth grade classrooms. Upon enrolling, the parents state whether they want online or in-class instruction. If say half are choosing online, then two teachers/classrooms would be assigned to those. The other two would be for in-class instruction. Or they could even only have one teacher/classroom for the online students and the in-class instruction divided among the three teachers/classrooms. Since there would be half the students, they would be able to spread the students out more.

Most of the students going back to school will likely be lower income students. Their parents would be unable to be employed and survive without the schools being open. The middle class and upper class would be able to afford more options.
Based on my experiences so far speaking with other parents, taking district surveys, and my own considerations we have a mixed bag. Some are interested in FT. Some are interested in online only. Some are interested in hybrid in 3 ways ways- 1 week on and 1 week off or 1 week on and 2 week off, then AM or PM sessions on site and swapped for virtual. It's pretty complicated at this point.

None of this takes kids on IEPs into account or whatever special needs that exist. We just voted and passed on a tax override in my town for more funding because they are going to need it.

Old 07-12-2020, 08:22 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,734,689 times
It all goes back to trump’s failure as a leader. Had he handled this from the beginning instead of saying it will magically go away, calling it a hoax, blaming it on the democrats, and had actually listened to the scientists. Imagine where we as a country would be, IF he actually put a plan in place.

Last edited by veuvegirl; 07-12-2020 at 08:31 PM..

Old 07-12-2020, 08:24 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,572,039 times
My son is a widower with a 5 yo. He has struggled working at home and taking care of his little boy. So he has enrolled him in a private school kindergarten for the next school year. It is full time, class size 8 children. I just don't see how most working families are going to handle this.

Old 07-12-2020, 09:22 PM

5,985 posts, read 2,915,239 times
I have a deal, every person working for the white house, and every member of congress has to send their kids to public school for a month, with no testing and no hospital treatment for covid19.

As soon as everyone agrees to that, and after that month passes by, schools re-open for the rest of us.

Old 07-12-2020, 09:32 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,572,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neko_mimi View Post
Why are you anti-education?

If that is what you got from this post, you need to examine your own education.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies