Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2020, 07:59 AM

4,383 posts, read 4,234,636 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by looker009 View Post
People had many months to figured out where they would work. They should have spend that time looking for a new job, acquiring new skills etc. If they can't find a job, i guess they will end up homeless. That is their fault and no one else. We absolutely do not need second stimulus payment as that would give people some incentive to stay home at bit longer. Maximum pressure should be applied to forced people to go back to work and for state to reopen all business that including California that just decided to close second time.

We are going have to learn to live with this virus and stop running away from it. Schools should not shutdown no matter what, teachers and other students need to learn how to live with this virus. We can't continue printing money just because some people are afraid to go back in to the public.
It's impossible to learn to live with something that kills you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2020, 08:54 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,698,449 times
Meanwhile in Israel:

“On June 3, two weeks after schools opened, more than 244 students and staff were found to test positive for COVID-19.

According to the education ministry, 2,026 students, teachers, and staff have contracted COVID-19, and 28,147 are in quarantine due to possible contagion.

Just in the first two weeks of July, 393 kindergartens and schools open for summer programs have been shuttered due to cases of COVID-19.”

https://www.thedailybeast.com/israel...gains?ref=home

Old 07-14-2020, 10:40 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,531,346 times
tRump and clueless, careless DeVos will try to go for another big spike in the fall.

My cynical side says tRump may see the corona virus as an ally to hold down voter turnout.

But no matter how cynical I get, I can't keep up.

Old 07-14-2020, 11:05 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,889,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
tRump and clueless, careless DeVos will try to go for another big spike in the fall.

My cynical side says tRump may see the corona virus as an ally to hold down voter turnout.

But no matter how cynical I get, I can't keep up.

Only if you don't do mail in ballot. I did mine Saturday for the Arizona Republican primary (I am an independent) and mailed it out yesterday. In about three months, I'll do the same thing as soon as I get my general election mail in ballot. Done it since the 2014 Arizona primary with no problems.

Old 07-14-2020, 11:39 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,531,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Only if you don't do mail in ballot. I did mine Saturday for the Arizona Republican primary (I am an independent) and mailed it out yesterday. In about three months, I'll do the same thing as soon as I get my general election mail in ballot. Done it since the 2014 Arizona primary with no problems.
I'm eligible to vote by mail here in TX just by being over 65.

Eligibility varies by state and the GOP will do whatever is in its power to suppress voter turnout.

A national initiative to allow universal voting via mail is what we need, not a patchwork of 50+ standards.

After all, it's a national election.

Old 07-14-2020, 11:41 AM

4,169 posts, read 2,140,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
I'm eligible to vote by mail here in TX just by being over 65.

Eligibility varies by state and the GOP will do whatever is in its power to suppress voter turnout.

A national initiative to allow universal voting via mail is what we need, not a patchwork of 50+ standards.

After all, it's a national election.

Wrong, it's state election and less Democrat that vote the better.

Old 07-14-2020, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by looker009 View Post
Wrong, it's state election and less Democrat that vote the better.
Yeah so Trump can take the United States straight down to the depths of Hell. That has been the goal here all along. Trump destroys America for Putin.

Old 07-14-2020, 12:05 PM

5,938 posts, read 4,697,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Schools are open all over Europe, Asia and Australia. Many never shut down. We should follow their example.
Yes, we should follow their example. Let's start with how they actually flattened the curve. Countries like Italy and Spain that were examples of how NOT to handle coronavirus are now the poster children for a successful mitigation campaign against it.

The problem we have is while many Americans stayed home, heeded social distancing guidelines and wore masks, a large swath of America listened to someone that said masks are a political statement against me, this will all go away in the summer heat and we will soon have cases down to zero.

And then they wonder why cases are skyrocketing and expect schools to reopen. If we had actually tackled this as a national crisis as opposed to politicizing it like our President - maybe we could send our kids back to school.

It is one thing to be incompetent, but the man is actively working to make things worse.

Old 07-14-2020, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dspguy View Post
Yes, we should follow their example. Let's start with how they actually flattened the curve. Countries like Italy and Spain that were examples of how NOT to handle coronavirus are now the poster children for a successful mitigation campaign against it.

The problem we have is while many Americans stayed home, heeded social distancing guidelines and wore masks, a large swath of America listened to someone that said masks are a political statement against me, this will all go away in the summer heat and we will soon have cases down to zero.

And then they wonder why cases are skyrocketing and expect schools to reopen. If we had actually tackled this as a national crisis as opposed to politicizing it like our President - maybe we could send our kids back to school.

It is one thing to be incompetent, but the man is actively working to make things worse.
This. Great post. Cannot say it any better.

Old 07-14-2020, 12:46 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,004,475 times
Folks keep saying kids want to go back to school and need to go back to school for socialization etc.

Problem with that argument......kids do want to go back to school because they want to go back to 'normal life'.

BUT what some of those adults aren't being honest about -- it isn't going to be normal anything. It isn't going to be at all like what the kids think.

The safety precautions that will have to be in place may not make the social scene at the schools any better than what parents can do with homeschooling, and their 'social' bubbles.

Most families I know have expanded their social bubbles to include some good friends of the kids. They get together in smaller groups and are encouraged not to be too physically close but still play. Works well in summer months with being outside --- cycling, skating, playing driveway hockey or backyard soccer..........adapting how kids play.

But in school.....the lunch routine will be eating in a classroom socially distanced.......recess will be social distant.

It isn't going to be what the kids are use to and who knows if it will be better than other options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies