Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2020, 11:00 PM

9,897 posts, read 3,429,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Do we, now? Please, I know my black skin is blocking my brain cells from operating as well as yours do, but could you be so kind as to explain to me in small words why the transmission rate is higher? I mean, I am both black and taught at predominantly black schools, and I seriously am not getting what those students do differently than my students at predominantly white schools that guarantees the transmission will be higher.
Some of the handshakes are quite lengthy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2020, 11:04 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,758,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
But what about Europe? Simple, their autocratic government-run health systems don't treat anyone either.
Ridiculous. Europe has some of the best hospitals in the world.
Quote:
So why then do I say racism?
'Cause that's what the cool kids say?

Quote:
If places just start treating this disease, it goes away.
For the vast majority it just goes away anyway, treatment or not. For some though, it hits very hard. And some die, despite the best treatment available. Get a clue.

Old 07-07-2020, 11:09 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,157,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolom View Post
Some of the handshakes are quite lengthy.
Bullcrap. I’ve worked both types of schools, that explanation does not justify the racist comments. I very seldom toss out the “that was racist” card because I think it needs to be used with great care and I do think it’s used way too much, especially as of late, but I definitely think it’s justified this time.

Old 07-07-2020, 11:21 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,758,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
I belong to one of those African-American families who have been hit hard by this virus. People talk about not knowing a single person whose gotten the virus, well I’m the opposite because I know too &+&$# many. I have had two brothers die along with numerous aunts, uncles, and cousins. I’ve even had a nephew die. One of my brothers lived in the DC area, while the other lived in the Cleveland area. The extended family member lived in the Cleveland to Detroit areas. All had insurance, none lived in poor areas. Most were professionals or skilled tradesmen. About half worked essential jobs, the rest were either retired or were able to work from home. Diabetes does run rampant in the family but not all who died had it. The weird thing is my family seems to get infected easier than other people, we have non-blood family members that have lived and cared for the infected folks who either never got it or it was so mild as to be non-existent. My sister-in-law was tested numerous times and has yet to show up positive, despite sleeping in the same bed as my brother and taking care of him without a mask or gloves.

What I’m trying to say is that race may play a role in who gets sick/sicker but that doesn’t mean it has anything to do with racism, systematic or otherwise. It may be all about genetics.
I'm very sorry to hear that you've suffered so many losses... my condolences.

There may well be genetic factors, and/or some level of immunity that some have due to past exposure to similar viruses but others lack.

Old 07-08-2020, 05:45 AM

4,383 posts, read 4,388,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post

There may well be genetic factors, and/or some level of immunity that some have due to past exposure to similar viruses but others lack.
Agree. And now there is news that your blood type can affect how sick you get with Covid. It may be years before we know the full story of Covid.

Old 07-08-2020, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post

That is what I think also.

Old 07-08-2020, 06:11 AM

89,006 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
In Georgia, the corona death incidence per 100k is twice that for African Americans as for white people, roughly 45 to 21 respectively at last count.
The reason why is quite obvious. Blacks have a higher rate of the comorbidities associated with the higher COVID death rates: diabetes, heart disease, lung disease, obesity, etc. That's all mostly self-inflicted.

Old 07-08-2020, 07:43 AM

24,490 posts, read 17,226,594 times
My state of MA. has put together a task force to understand how racism and oppression are leading to a higher rate of infection of covid in the black community.... Do we really need a task force to understand this? Our politicians think we do so they can put some extra money in their pockets and give themselves a pat on the back.

The virus is not racist. It could actually be that black people either through their physiology or mannerisms are more likely to catch it. Who knows. Or it could be that a large percentage of black folk live in the cities in close proximity to one another, they don't wear masks and when they get sick they don't go to the Doctor.

Old 07-08-2020, 07:56 AM

3,354 posts, read 1,184,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golgi1 View Post
Please, with this text wall.

Black people, as a large group, have large issues following directions: like those related to social distancing.

Anyone who has taught in Black high schools will know exactly why the transmission rate is higher. So do Black People.

Stop making excuses for them and perpetuating invalid, nasty theories.
Young whites pile up on beaches and don’t wear masks. Older whites in stores and everywhere in public with health issues don’t wear masks. Most whites don’t abide by all the rules, want their freedom, yet don’t get sick. Blacks are genetically weaker yet all other races like to pick at us. I would rather be the low IQ subhuman than the bully.

Old 07-08-2020, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
My state of MA. has put together a task force to understand how racism and oppression are leading to a higher rate of infection of covid in the black community.... Do we really need a task force to understand this? Our politicians think we do so they can put some extra money in their pockets and give themselves a pat on the back.

The virus is not racist. It could actually be that black people either through their physiology or mannerisms are more likely to catch it. Who knows. Or it could be that a large percentage of black folk live in the cities in close proximity to one another, they don't wear masks and when they get sick they don't go to the Doctor.
I really do think it’s some unknown physical issue not a societal one because of the way it is impacting certain families, even ones that live in different areas from each other, as we do. We have all been zealous about social distancing and masks, not to mention quit to call the doctor for the least little symptom; burying multiple people you love is one hell of a motivator.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies