Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2020, 08:54 PM

7,351 posts, read 6,504,570 times

Advertisements

In Georgia, the corona death incidence per 100k is twice that for African Americans as for white people, roughly 45 to 21 respectively at last count. A particularly striking example is Forsyth County vs Hancock County. Forsyth has 30 times the population, 50 times the density, but only 4 times the cases, and half the deaths (15 vs 32). Why? Could it be that Forsyth is 85% white while Hancock is 84% African American? With a median household income 4.3 times less than Forsyth? Because as someone who lives here, with Forsyth being solid red, and Hancock being solid blue (voting records show each may be the reddest and bluest counties in Georgia respectively), I guarantee you that people in Forsyth haven't been keeping their distance, and haven't been wearing masks. Hancock County has 8000 people unless they all decided to go to a party in the largest town (Sparta, pop 1400), they couldn't help but keep their distance from each other. Even going outside Georgia, Arizona is 73% white, but white people only make up 43% of Arizona's corona cases.

I'm white upper-middle class. I can walk into my doctor's office and they'll try treating me. This actually happened to a family member, and they didn't even have to walk in. Corona symptoms, and a phone call, and they got an antibiotic and steroid. Back to normal in a few days. Can the same be said for the person who has to go to whatever free clinic or understaffed, overworked urgent care is around the corner, or the ER if they're desperate? I'd be willing to bet that easily 70% of the people in Forsyth County, if not more, have a primary care physician that they at least have a relationship, if not good, personal relationship with (professional...get your head out of the gutter!). But can the same be said for English Avenue? Or South Dekalb? Or Chicago's Southside, or Harlem, or Central Brooklyn? Or South Los Angeles? Look, I don't write the world, but let's face it, the poor areas of cities, tend to have a strong overlap with minority areas of city, it's sad, it sucks, it's not right, but that's how the world is, sorry.

So how does that affect corona? Doctors with good relationships are going to treat their patients, like my family member was. Is the doctor, or intern or nurse practitioner at some random clinic going to do the same? NO! The professional risk is too high. Instead they have the incredibly stupid cdc/w.h.o. guidance of "do nothing" to fall back and cover themselves with. And I can't really blame them. If someone goes to them for "treatment" for corona and still dies, they're backed. If they prescribed a medication and it still didn't work, they aren't, they could be sued, and their malpractice insurance may not cover it (I don't know the ins and outs of malpractice insurance specifically, but I'm pretty familiar with insurance in general). Even if it does, would it cover them again? So where does that leave us? A worldwide "health" organization and national "health" agency tell every doctor to do nothing when presented with basic, ordinary, upper respiratory symptoms. So suddenly, people that would have been treated, aren't, but they're largely minorities. So guess what? Disease starts running wild. Just like when the anti-vaxxers gain traction somewhere and measles starts popping up.

But what about Europe? Simple, their autocratic government-run health systems don't treat anyone either. But instead of being select clinics with a [justified] fear of malpractice, it's everyone. So why then do I say racism? The minority areas being hit hard are largely the way they are due to things like white flight, and deliberate attempts by white city government to "contain" the minority population. One of Atlanta's mayors went so far as to barricade two streets to keep African Americans from moving more into the white areas. He literally called it "Atlanta's Berlin Wall." So do I think these clinics aren't treating people due to "personal racism" that is the clinic workers would treat (or rather not treat I guess) a white person the same way? No, but racism isn't limited to a personal attack, there IS systemic racism out there, and I see it right here in our healthcare system which led us straight to where we are now. If places just start treating this disease, it goes away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2020, 09:19 PM

2,923 posts, read 973,877 times
Rambling madness...if healthcare is limited in black areas it cant be testing which means it's either people being refused care and dying in their homes.......or could it be that black people are more likely to have underlying health issues like obesity diabetes poor hygiene that make them more likely to die.

Old 07-07-2020, 10:23 PM

20,112 posts, read 16,089,167 times
I belong to one of those African-American families who have been hit hard by this virus. People talk about not knowing a single person whose gotten the virus, well I’m the opposite because I know too &+&$# many. I have had two brothers die along with numerous aunts, uncles, and cousins. I’ve even had a nephew die. One of my brothers lived in the DC area, while the other lived in the Cleveland area. The extended family member lived in the Cleveland to Detroit areas. All had insurance, none lived in poor areas. Most were professionals or skilled tradesmen. About half worked essential jobs, the rest were either retired or were able to work from home. Diabetes does run rampant in the family but not all who died had it. The weird thing is my family seems to get infected easier than other people, we have non-blood family members that have lived and cared for the infected folks who either never got it or it was so mild as to be non-existent. My sister-in-law was tested numerous times and has yet to show up positive, despite sleeping in the same bed as my brother and taking care of him without a mask or gloves.

What I’m trying to say is that race may play a role in who gets sick/sicker but that doesn’t mean it has anything to do with racism, systematic or otherwise. It may be all about genetics.

Old 07-07-2020, 10:29 PM

7,302 posts, read 3,384,754 times
Please, with this text wall.

Black people, as a large group, have large issues following directions: like those related to social distancing.

Anyone who has taught in Black high schools will know exactly why the transmission rate is higher. So do Black People.

Stop making excuses for them and perpetuating invalid, nasty theories.

Old 07-07-2020, 10:34 PM

10,092 posts, read 9,901,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_N_1962 View Post
Rambling madness...if healthcare is limited in black areas it cant be testing which means it's either people being refused care and dying in their homes.......or could it be that black people are more likely to have underlying health issues like obesity diabetes poor hygiene that make them more likely to die.
Obesity, diabetes possibly. Black people generally aren't as dirty as less melinated races are known to be.

Old 07-07-2020, 10:35 PM

2,540 posts, read 1,027,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
I belong to one of those African-American families who have been hit hard by this virus. People talk about not knowing a single person whose gotten the virus, well I’m the opposite because I know too &+&$# many. I have had two brothers die along with numerous aunts, uncles, and cousins. I’ve even had a nephew die. One of my brothers lived in the DC area, while the other lived in the Cleveland area. The extended family member lived in the Cleveland to Detroit areas. All had insurance, none lived in poor areas. Most were professionals or skilled tradesmen. About half worked essential jobs, the rest were either retired or were able to work from home. Diabetes does run rampant in the family but not all who died had it. The weird thing is my family seems to get infected easier than other people, we have non-blood family members that have lived and cared for the infected folks who either never got it or it was so mild as to be non-existent. My sister-in-law was tested numerous times and has yet to show up positive, despite sleeping in the same bed as my brother and taking care of him without a mask or gloves.

What I’m trying to say is that race may play a role in who gets sick/sicker but that doesn’t mean it has anything to do with racism, systematic or otherwise. It may be all about genetics.

I heard there was a theory about melanin causing vitamin D deficiency causing African Americans to be more susceptible but then, Indians, who have skin darker than most American Blacks have a lower Covid infection rate than whites so that throws the skin color theory out the window.

Old 07-07-2020, 10:37 PM

10,092 posts, read 9,901,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golgi1 View Post

Black people, as a large group, have large issues following directions: like those related to social distancing.

Anyone who has taught in Black high schools will know exactly why the transmission rate is higher. So do Black People.

Americans have problems following directions.

Old 07-07-2020, 10:47 PM

18,667 posts, read 7,542,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Americans have problems following directions.
One of the reasons why this country is better off with small government, than with Big Government.

"That government governs best that governs least, because its people discipline themselves."
-Thomas Jefferson, Henry David Thoreau, and/or others

Old 07-07-2020, 10:47 PM

6,252 posts, read 5,052,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Obesity, diabetes possibly. Black people generally aren't as dirty as less melinated races are known to be.
Did you write "less melinated races" with a straight face? Just curious.

Old 07-07-2020, 10:57 PM

20,112 posts, read 16,089,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golgi1 View Post

Do we, now? Please, I know my black skin is blocking my brain cells from operating as well as yours do, but could you be so kind as to explain to me in small words why the transmission rate is higher? I mean, I am both black and taught at predominantly black schools, and I seriously am not getting what those students do differently than my students at predominantly white schools that guarantees the transmission will be higher.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies