Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2020, 09:04 AM

20,955 posts, read 5,544,409 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
"Pedestrians" aren't allowed on the highway.

There are no sidewalks, crosswalks or traffic lights.

Highways are for MOTOR VEHICLE traffic.
The "Duhhhhh Factor" is strong in the threads about this incident.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2020, 09:07 AM

Quote:
I know it's a lot to ask of the Left.... But bit of common sense goes a long way.

If he was intentionally trying to hit people, why did he swerve away from the larger group?

If his goal was to run people over, he could have hit a lot more than those two girls who appear to run out in front of the car as if they were going to block him at speed.

And why were his brake lights on when it happened?

Old 07-09-2020, 09:11 AM

23,548 posts, read 12,517,887 times
Quote:
I know it's a lot to ask of the Left.... But bit of common sense goes a long way.

If he was intentionally trying to hit people, why did he swerve away from the larger group?

If his goal was to run people over, he could have hit a lot more than those two girls who appear to run out in front of the car as if they were going to block him at speed.
Yep.

All he had was a few short seconds and probably didn't see the protesters until he was upon them. The protesters were dressed in dark clothing, in the dark of night. A view from above of the street lights shining on the roadway has a fishbowl effect, making things appear brightly lit. The view is far different and darker on the ground, especially in a speeding car.

Most likely he'd got on the interstate for no reason other than to see what it felt like to drive his muscle car fast. He wouldn't be the first person to do something like that. Doubtful he even knew the protesters were on the stretch of highway that was directly past the curve in the road.

Everyone, the city, the protesters and him, made a series of bad choices.
They should all be held responsible - but none for murder!

Old 07-09-2020, 09:14 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 6 days ago)

35,627 posts, read 17,953,728 times
Quote:

You must admit, in this case, it was a very grey area.

The highway had been closed down to accommodate pedestrians for 19 days straight, and was again closed by the State Troopers to allow for the safety of protesters and drivers.

Troopers watched them gather in the road, and said nothing. Arrests weren't made, or even warnings or instructions to clear the roadway.

Anyone who lives in a city sees occasional reports of someone trying to cross a highway in the wee hours, and getting hit, and there aren't charges filed because hey, it's a highway.

This was different. And the judge and prosecutor agree.

Old 07-09-2020, 10:12 AM

5,067 posts, read 1,665,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkhmini View Post
And why were his brake lights on when it happened?

brake lights usually come on, if functional, when you driver presses the brake pedal in a vehicle.

Old 07-09-2020, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tipsyguam View Post
brake lights usually come on, if functional, when you driver presses the brake pedal in a vehicle.

Yep. Mow 'em down while I hit the brakes. Makes perfect sense.

Old 07-09-2020, 10:47 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 6 days ago)

35,627 posts, read 17,953,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkhmini View Post
Yep. Mow 'em down while I hit the brakes. Makes perfect sense.
I think people who street race typically hit the brakes before they plough into innocent people, too.

I think there are few people who are still believing he intended to kill people that evening.

What he did intend to do, it seems clear, is enter a highway illegally (and extremely dangerously) that he knew to be closed to vehicular traffic.

Old 07-09-2020, 10:58 AM

23,548 posts, read 12,517,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I think people who street race typically hit the brakes before they plough into innocent people, too.
He came out of a blind curve with only a few seconds to react. The protesters should have set up farther own the road, and, should have set up warning flares, wore bright clothing, etc.
Quote:
I think there are few people who are still believing he intended to kill people that evening.
Only the ignorant, or those with an agenda.
Quote:
What he did intend to do, it seems clear, is enter a highway illegally (and extremely dangerously) that he knew to be closed to vehicular traffic.
Yep. He got on there to make his car go vroom, not to kill him some protesters. Charge him for the traffic violations. Charge the protesters for being on the roadway. Charge the city leaders for allowing the protesters to be there, without a permit and without safety advice.

It was a series of bad choices by all involved that led to the accident.

Old 07-09-2020, 11:18 AM

8,381 posts, read 4,365,088 times
Quote:

Sources from dozens of newspapers state the highway had been closed for over an hour by the highway patrol and the driver went around barricades and hit two people at high speed where they flew into the air over the vehicle. The freaking highway was CLOSED. I understand some have a hard time understanding what closed means.

Old 07-09-2020, 11:24 AM

29,470 posts, read 14,639,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchoc View Post
Sources from dozens of newspapers state the highway had been closed for over an hour by the highway patrol and the driver went around barricades and hit two people at high speed where they flew into the air over the vehicle. The freaking highway was CLOSED. I understand some have a hard time understanding what closed means.
It was closed because the children decided to play in the freeway in the middle of the night. The same people that the little twits were protesting against took it upon themselves to protect them, even though they were breaking the law by playing on the freeway. Had the children decided not to break the law and play in the freeway this would never have happened.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies