Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2020, 08:28 AM

8,957 posts, read 2,557,261 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
People want this to end so we can get back to normal. The pandemic is real. People are getting sick and dying. Countries that have controlled this have taken the right steps. People have accepted minor inconveniences like wearing masks. These countries have done more testing, quarantines, and tracing. These efforts have been very weak in this country.
I'm not saying that it's not real, I know it's real, I've not only had it myself but I deal with COVID patients literally every day (how I got it to begin with BTW). What I am disputing is the fearmongering tactics that make this out to be more than what it is.

Also, what's funny is that the countries and states that did the worst job are now being praised because they already had their massive spikes and are on the downside of a very steep curve while those who managed to "flatten the curve" are being bashed because now they are finally starting to hit the peak in their curves. It's just backwards rhetoric that shouldn't work on anyone who is informed.

Last edited by bobbythegreat; 07-10-2020 at 08:37 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2020, 08:45 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,661,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbythegreat View Post
I'm not saying that it's not real, I know it's real, I've not only had it myself but I deal with COVID patients literally every day. What I am disputing is the fearmongering tactics that make this out to be more than what it is.

Also, what's funny is that the countries and states that did the worst job are now being praised because they already had their massive spikes and are on the downside of a very steep curve while those who managed to "flatten the curve" are being bashed because now they are finally starting to hit the peak in their curves. It's just backwards rhetoric that shouldn't work on anyone who is informed.
Take a look at the death rate for countries like Japan, Hong Kong, Thailand, Australia, New Zealand, Taiwan, Singapore, Jordan, Malaysia, S. Korea, Philippines, Indonesia, and China. The virus started in China. They controlled it and have a death rate of 3/1M population. It spread to the U.S. and we have a death rate of 410/1M population. The only major countries with a higher death rate than the U.S. are Belgium, UK, France, Spain, Sweden, and Italy.

Old 07-10-2020, 08:47 AM

7,420 posts, read 2,709,177 times
Quote:
You got your own posts removed by posting off topic trolling, I had no part in it and honestly don't even support that kind of thing. I want your words to remain visible so I can use them against you, but that's not the policy of this board and I respect that.

From what I've seen, you've done nothing but lie, attack, and spin fabrications. Those of us on the front lines and those of us who actually have firsthand information about COVID-19 don't buy into your politically motivated spin.

I don't blame you, BTW, you clearly don't know enough to know that you are buying into false narratives or that the fearmongering tactics worked on you.

The truth is that COVID-19 is not anywhere near as dangerous as was initially feared, that's not to say there's no danger whatsoever, but we're talking about a scenario with something like a 0.7% mortality rate rather than what was at one time feared to be closer to 2-5%. The rate is likely to further drop as the most effective techniques to prevent or mitigate the viral pneumonia that kills you are being figured out. It'll still remain dangerous for those 65+ and those with severe health problems....but EVERYTHING is potentially dangerous for people in those demographics.

Those are the facts, and they are not disputed by those who know what they are talking about.
"The lady doth protest too much, methinks".

Anyway, may God bless you, and all of us in America, as we find our way to working together again to defeat this vexing virus that is causing a very grave disease that is threatening our public health and our national security. Let us remember the words of some great, patriotic, American orators from Benjamin Franklin & John Dickinson to Abraham Lincoln: "UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL.

Last edited by corpgypsy; 07-10-2020 at 10:00 AM..

Old 07-10-2020, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Take a look at the death rate for countries like Japan, Hong Kong, Thailand, Australia, New Zealand, Taiwan, Singapore, Jordan, Malaysia, S. Korea, Philippines, Indonesia, and China. The virus started in China. They controlled it and have a death rate of 3/1M population. It spread to the U.S. and we have a death rate of 410/1M population. The only major countries with a higher death rate than the U.S. are Belgium, UK, France, Spain, Sweden, and Italy.
Shocker, the countries that outright lie or have questionable at best reporting when it comes to death tolls and those who deal with these kinds of virus' on a regular basis managed better overall numbers than the US. I was pretty outspoken about the pathetic job NY and surrounding states did and that's STILL the main driver of the US death toll.

My goal all along was to provide perspective and the reality of the situation in the face of fearmongering rhetoric with a political agenda.

Old 07-10-2020, 09:14 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,661,869 times
Quote:
Shocker, the countries that outright lie or have questionable at best reporting when it comes to death tolls and those who deal with these kinds of virus' on a regular basis managed better overall numbers than the US. I was pretty outspoken about the pathetic job NY and surrounding states did and that's STILL the main driver of the US death toll.

My goal all along was to provide perspective and the reality of the situation in the face of fearmongering rhetoric with a political agenda.
Which of those countries outright lie or have questionable at best reporting?

New Jersey actually has the high death rate per capita. New York's total deaths are currently 23.8% of the total U.S. deaths. They may not end up with the most deaths when this is finally over.

Old 07-10-2020, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Which of those countries outright lie or have questionable at best reporting?

New Jersey actually has the high death rate per capita. New York's total deaths are currently 23.8% of the total U.S. deaths. They may not end up with the most deaths when this is finally over.
Most of the Asian and 3rd world countries you listed.

Of course New Jersey does, they were caught in the NYC wake, you do know that tons of people living in New Jersey work in NYC right?

The pathetic failure of NY doesn't just affect them, they are the primary reason for the 3 states with the highest death tolls per capita and they are partially responsible for the top 5. NYC was absolutely radioactive.

Old 07-10-2020, 09:33 AM

31,041 posts, read 22,070,533 times
Quote:
No kiddo, that's literally the only thing that matters.
Yeah, "Death doesn't count" when it doesn't back up your narrative

Old 07-10-2020, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
Yeah, "Death doesn't count" when it doesn't back up your narrative
Yup, the goalposts have to shift when previous narratives fail.

Old 07-10-2020, 12:27 PM

7,447 posts, read 2,832,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roodd279 View Post
"actually take some time to visit the WHO site which tells you that there is no evidence that a fabric mask does anything to stop the spread."

Maybe you should take some time and visit the WHO site - this link is theirs:

https://www.who.int/images/default-s...sn=b15e3742_16

Lower left - it says "a fabric mask can protect others around you."
Sociopath logic only cares about protecting themselves. Their eyes glaze over any actions that protect others.

This is why they are baffled by masks. It barely does anything to protect ME. If it doesn't protect ME what is the point.

Old 07-10-2020, 12:35 PM

30,160 posts, read 11,789,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodTheBadTheUgly View Post
Weeks.

True objective journalism died long ago. Hopefully, thanks to articles from people like Clay and Jason, people will wake up and see all the lies being spread by the media before it’s too late.

https://outkick.com/coronavirus-dail...traight-weeks/
Its not down 92%. You can't cherry pick a national holiday which is lower than average and then calculate from that. But if you use that number virus deaths are up almost 400% from the 4th of July weekend. See misleading numbers cut both ways.

Truth is deaths are up 18% from its lows a couple weeks ago when you use a 7 day moving average. This week will be the first week to week increase in many weeks. If you ever trade in the stock market you know would know the term "the trend is your friend" and the trend is up. We are getting close to 1,000 deaths a day now. In fact the past 3 days have averaged close to 1,000 deaths a day. First time we had 3 days like that since June 4th.

The sky is not falling nor is everything fine.

Last edited by Oklazona Bound; 07-10-2020 at 12:44 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies