Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2020, 09:26 AM

25,724 posts, read 12,793,994 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMS02760 View Post
The media is just reporting the news. If you have any issue, you should direct it to the inept federal reaction to the virus which has resulted in more than 130,000 American lives (and counting) being taken. The Trump administration's feeble effort to contain this epidemic is shameful. That is where criticism should rightfully be directed.
pop quiz...

1) which governmental body has front line responsibility for public health?

a) State Government

b) Federal Government

2) which governmental body is President Trump part of?

a) State Government

b) Federal Government

3) if the federal government had front line responsibility, would outcomes...

a) vary very little state by state

b) vary a lot state by state (like we have seen occur)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2020, 09:40 AM

25,724 posts, read 12,793,994 times
Traditional media pushes political propaganda, & advertising. The amount of factual content is so miniscule, its not worth sifting through all the rubbish to find it. I disconnected cable tv 5+ years ago, and stopped reading print media. I listen to talk radio in my car, which isn't much...maybe 1 hour/week.

I find the sifting through the rubbish to be easiest online, but that still takes quite a bit of effort.

At this time, C-19 deaths are way down, but cases are way up. We need more time to see if deaths will begin to climb again. We'll all know in 2 more weeks how many of the new cases are fatal.

Its my opinion that very few of the new cases will be fatal. I think most of the new cases are younger people, who will survive, so we'll have a lot larger hurd a few weeks from now.

Old 07-08-2020, 09:43 AM

20,955 posts, read 5,544,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
Traditional media pushes political propaganda, & advertising. The amount of factual content is so miniscule, its not worth sifting through all the rubbish to find it. I disconnected cable tv 5+ years ago, and stopped reading print media. I listen to talk radio in my car, which isn't much...maybe 1 hour/week.

I find the sifting through the rubbish to be easiest online, but that still takes quite a bit of effort.

At this time, C-19 deaths are way down, but cases are way up. We need more time to see if deaths will begin to climb again. We'll all know in 2 more weeks how many of the new cases are fatal.

Its my opinion that very few of the new cases will be fatal. I think most of the new cases are younger people, who will survive, so we'll have a lot larger hurd a few weeks from now.

Old 07-08-2020, 09:47 AM

7,447 posts, read 2,832,049 times
Deaths lag diagnosis lag contraction.

Seems to be about ~6-8 weeks ish total start to finish.

Thus the death rates you see today are mostly people who contracted the disease ~6-8 weeks or so ago.

It is possible that the virus has mutated to be less fatal -however, I'd refrain from spiking the football early because you will likely end up looking like a fool when you do not understand the cause and effect at play.

Old 07-08-2020, 09:52 AM

16,077 posts, read 10,738,506 times
The US is acquiring the bulk of the world supply of Remdesivir -- that should be an indicator that things are not going well -- an alarm bell. We will have people laid up in hospitals like sardines in a can. Deaths will be down, for a while - sure, but with the current enormous case count, and relaxed precautions, there will be little available hospital space. Once the hospitals fill to capacity we will see military field hospitals set up to handle the overflow and deaths rising again. The notion that these are "just old people" is a lie. The average age has dropped by 15 years.

Some young people who survive will wish they were dead. Living 50 years with impaired lungs and other problems won't be fun. Quality of life sucks when that happens. But, hey, it was fun at the bar and the beach -- until it wasn't anymore. Who needs a face mask if you are immortal? Victoria state in Australia just got locked down for the next six weeks (they have had 106 deaths in the whole country). Americans can't go six days without a hissy-fit and constant whining. Remember Sweden? Nobody is talking much about them anymore.

Old 07-08-2020, 09:54 AM

6,343 posts, read 2,893,854 times
And the fatality rate for people under 70 is 0.04%.

Quote:
Among people <70 years old, infection fatality rates ranged from 0.00% to 0.26% with median of 0.05% (corrected, 0.00-0.23% with median of 0.04%)
https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1....13.20101253v2

Old 07-08-2020, 09:55 AM

4,750 posts, read 3,566,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
What the moronic right fails to understand: Death is not the only way to judge a disease unless you're stupid enough to believe serious long term health issues are meaningless.
They are stupid enough - - they prove it in every post they make on the subject.

Old 07-08-2020, 10:08 AM

7,420 posts, read 2,708,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbythegreat View Post
Is it not public knowledge that nearly everyone under 25 is functionally immune from the virus meaning if they get it they'll be asymptomatic?

I know, I know, we hear about the outliers, but pointing out a few outliers does nothing to disprove the fact that nearly everyone under 25 is functionally immune from COVID-19.....and it's not a secret.

In reality, if you are under 50, you have next to nothing to worry about from this virus unless you have absolutely major health problems, known or unknown. That again doesn't mean that there won't be outliers, but they are outliers.

Keep in mind, we're talking about a virus with something like a 0.7% natural mortality rate.
Why do you routinely post disinformation and baseless opinions to downplay this very serious pandemic?

Old 07-08-2020, 10:27 AM

8,496 posts, read 4,557,552 times
We are currently in the midst of a great battle versus a virus that has killed more than 130,000 Americans and continues each day to take more. The nuts however would rather attack the media than attack the virus. Sad example of misdirected priorities.

Old 07-08-2020, 10:31 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,727,877 times
Down over 90%? OMG! We’re “shattering” records!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies