Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2020, 09:54 AM

13,627 posts, read 20,684,914 times

Advertisements

Congress decides the budget, not the President.

If you are concerned with government spending- a legitimate issue- then your first stop should be Pelosi's office. Then on to Mitch's office.

And when the Democratic party adopts a Balanced Budget as an official pillar of their party platform, I will entertain criticism of so-called "Fiscal Conservatives."

Not to mention, the main source of our debt remains ... <wait for it> ... Entitlement Spending. You Democrats and Liberals who all of sudden have discovered Fiscal Sanity might want to consider that. Maybe you will do something about it.

LOL! I Dare You.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2020, 10:04 AM

76,990 posts, read 47,311,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainraiser View Post
When was the last time a president won and election by offering to give less.
In 2016.

But we know that it was a lie.

Old 07-08-2020, 10:07 AM

18,193 posts, read 16,788,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
Agreed, I don't think he's anything more than a NY Democrat. I've always thought this and wouldn't expect anything but big government spending from him.

Still better than what the Dems are serving up, but not by much.

Trump wouldn't spend a dime of taxpayers' money on anyone but himself, his family and his cronies. So if he's proposing new bailouts you know who it's going to, unless he intends to use it to buy votes from people for being grateful to him for the money. Trump never does ANYTHING unless it benefits him personally.

Old 07-08-2020, 10:07 AM

19,508 posts, read 22,389,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post

If you are concerned with government spending- a legitimate issue- then your first stop should be Pelosi's office. Then on to Mitch's office.

And when the Democratic party adopts a Balanced Budget as an official pillar of their party platform, I will entertain criticism of so-called "Fiscal Conservatives."

Not to mention, the main source of our debt remains ... <wait for it> ... Entitlement Spending. You Democrats and Liberals who all of sudden have discovered Fiscal Sanity might want to consider that. Maybe you will do something about it.

LOL! I Dare You.
I don't care if they chop social security, medicare or the defense budget. Those are the big three. I grew up under the oft cited premise that Social Security wouldn't be around when I retire- so my wife and I planned accordingly. I don't want to pay for other peoples inability to cover their own retirement. I'm all for a means test if necessary and I'm willing to vote for people that feel that very same way. Where are they? Which party 'should it be'?

And please note- the article in the OP quotes the 'Administration' requesting of Congress an additional $1T

The cries for more largess are coming from Trump.

Old 07-08-2020, 10:08 AM

76,990 posts, read 47,311,479 times
Quote:
And GOP House racked up more debt than you could imagine.

Have you heard of presidential veto power? It exists, but all we hear from Trump admin is requests for more and more money to burn

Quote:
Any honest person would entertain it whenever their party talks about balanced budgets, and then spend like drunken sailors when they are in power.

However, it seems you are satisfied as long as they talk about it even if they don't do anything about it.

Old 07-08-2020, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
I don't care if they chop social security, medicare or the defense budget. Those are the big three. I grew up under the oft cited premise that Social Security wouldn't be around when I retire- so my wife and I planned accordingly. I don't want to pay for other peoples inability to cover their own retirement. I'm all for a means test if necessary and I'm willing to vote for people that feel that very same way. Where are they? Which party 'should it be'?

And please note- the article in the OP quotes the 'Administration' requesting of Congress an additional $1T

The cries for more largess are coming from Trump.

They are coming from everybody. The House is free to say, "no."

As for Entitlements, I repeat, I DARE YOU.

Last edited by Moth; 07-08-2020 at 10:18 AM..

Old 07-08-2020, 10:17 AM

46,827 posts, read 25,751,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Where's the Tea Party faithful of just a few years ago?
Wearing MAGA hats. These aren't principled people. (Nor smart, but mostly they're not principled.)

What do you expect Republicans in charge to do, except direct money from the public coffers into the bank accounts of the very rich?

Old 07-08-2020, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
And GOP House racked up more debt than you could imagine.

Have you heard of presidential veto power? It exists, but all we hear from Trump admin is requests for more and more money to burn

Any honest person would entertain it whenever their party talks about balanced budgets, and then spend like drunken sailors when they are in power.

However, it seems you are satisfied as long as they talk about it even if they don't do anything about it.

<Sigh>

Stop it. Really, just stop it.

Both parties have racked up debt. Both parties support the social welfare state (aka Entitlements). Neither party touts themselves as fiscally responsible.

Veto? What was Trump supposed to veto? The bill that gave you a check? He was supposed to veto THAT? Yea sure, Finn_Jarber, that would have really worked! You would have been rioting along with Pelosi. It was a Bipartisan bill, Finn_Jarber. Don't be daft.

Balanced Budgets are neither spoken of nor wanted in Washington.

As for me, I would love Fiscal Prudence. But I know that the mob, led by YOU no doubt, would start with the pushing grandma off the cliff nonsense and that would be the end of it.

Old 07-08-2020, 10:18 AM

46,827 posts, read 25,751,383 times
Quote:
You may want to read the headline or perhaps even the article. It's the administration that's asking for money.

Old 07-08-2020, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
You may want to read the headline or perhaps even the article. It's the administration that's asking for money.
Sure. They can ask for any fricken, stupid, insane thing they want. Politicians ask for all kinds of things, all day, every day.

And Congress can simply say ..... NO.

Don't be daft.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies