Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2020, 03:59 PM

20,758 posts, read 8,562,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
There isn't one except maybe New Zealand. I'd like to go there myself.
They enforce their immigration laws. Unless you have a lot of money, which is why so many politicians and celebs have property there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2020, 04:10 PM

46,943 posts, read 25,964,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
I heard schools in Europe are open now with no problem.
The combination of competent political leadership and a population that doesn't go "You're not the boss of me!" when asked to cooperate seems to do wonders, no?

Old 07-14-2020, 04:16 PM

4,381 posts, read 4,231,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
There isn't a person in the USA that doesn't want kids to go back to school. BUT there is much to consider. And just mandating all schools have to be opened, refusing to provide EXTRA Funding to implement enhance safety procedures, provide teachers with better sick care benefits for risking their lives and the lives of theier families., etc....ist just plain careless.

And those panel of experts were saying the kids should go back to school using the old notion of how school was.

It isn't going to be that like.Kids aren't going to be roaming the halls by themselves at school. There are adults required to teach, administer, look after the building.

And then those kids have to go home to multi-generational families.

And the social environment is not going to be the traditional social environment of a school in order to mitigate the spread of the virus.

Right now leadership is open open up or else risk losing funding.

That's not a good strategy.
A local city council member pointed out that our district has many students who live with a single grandparent, many of whom are in poor health. If the children bring the children home and the grandparent dies or becomes incapacitated, then the children will end up as wards of the state. The social safety net has a holey past. The coronavirus is shredding what is left.

Old 07-14-2020, 04:17 PM

46,943 posts, read 25,964,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dementia Joe B View Post
Schools are run by city and country governments. The federal government does not run them.
In a sane world, federal authorities would be able to collate and issue a set of guidelines based on the highest level of medical and epidemiological expertise available. It's sometimes known as "leadership". East Podunk City Government doesn't have a pandemic task force. The federal government does - or at least , used to have.

But leadership has been replaced with a frantic call of "Make the economy look better, no matter the cost to yourself!", so...

Old 07-14-2020, 05:06 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,371,084 times
Quote:
I heard schools in Europe are open now with no problem.

I predict parents will start killing their kids if schools don't reopen soon. I'm only half kidding.
The USA can't be like Europe. We have too many people screaming about "persecution" when they are asked to wear a covering over their mouth & nose when in public places. Even comparing it to "Nazi Germany". Even in my state, where our governor has mandated masks in public, people still walk around in stores defiantly not wearing one, exposing everyone else to their potentially infected nasal secretions. Which is why I won't feel safe with my kids being in school.

Children may be less likely to be hospitalized with corona virus, but if they catch the flu or some other illness, concurrent with corona virus, they are probably going to wind up being hospitalized. Medically fragile children are also more likely to become very sick if they catch the virus.

Old 07-17-2020, 06:25 PM

20,758 posts, read 8,562,401 times
Heard a doctor the other day who said no one in the US under the age of 18 has died from Covid. Children rarely pass CV to adults (cited biological reason that I didn't understand) but can get it from adults, although they seldom have serious results. One reason they are safer at school.

Old 07-17-2020, 08:09 PM

407 posts, read 122,896 times
Quote:
Heard a doctor the other day who said no one in the US under the age of 18 has died from Covid. Children rarely pass CV to adults (cited biological reason that I didn't understand) but can get it from adults, although they seldom have serious results. One reason they are safer at school.
That's children under 10 IIRC. One of the reasons thought is that children have narrower nasal cavities that limit viral load. eh. Maybe. For older kids it's a different story.

Old 07-17-2020, 08:48 PM

51,651 posts, read 25,790,245 times
Schools were shut down early on which limited children's social exposure.

We won't know until they open back up how easily it transmits among children or how deadly it is.

Also, saying that you heard this or that from some doctor sounds like trump's nonsense.

Just sayin'

Old 07-18-2020, 12:33 AM

407 posts, read 122,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimApplebaum View Post
The source is citing the washington post as you are, which is referencing an additional study. Although, the point I missed was density of receptors, not size, which is interesting.

"Their nasal passages don't have the density of the right receptors to lock into as easily as adults,” Kansas City Health Dr. Rex Archer said.'

https://www.kmbc.com/article/new-stu...hools/32892202

That's not to say every last kids would be safe or that I would risk mine, but there are differences between kids and adults and we should understand why

Old 07-18-2020, 02:53 AM

37,169 posts, read 19,174,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainraiser View Post
Did you not watch her confirmation hearing. She has no business being in the education field. She will follow the rules of her boss. We just need the schools open since this Covid19 is a hoax and will go away in due time. She will follow of the lead of the moron in charge.
She has a degree in business economics from Calvin College in Grand Rapids, a church supported school. She has no graduate degrees of any type.

Betsy DeVos is not qualified to teach in any classroom in this country. Obviously she was the only candidate to consider in the twisted mind of the squatter in the Oval Office.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies