Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2020, 02:54 AM

37,213 posts, read 19,210,527 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherman99 View Post
Killing little kids...that would be a travesty...
It's okay. The kids she wants to kill have already been born.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2020, 04:36 PM

407 posts, read 123,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimApplebaum View Post
PilgrimsProgress stated he or she had heard a doctor state no one under the age of 18 in the U.S. had died of COVID-19. This is incorrect.

You stated that if you recalled correctly no one under 10 had died of COVID-19. Once, again this incorrect.

I posted links to show both statements are untrue. What is there to argue?
No, that is not what I stated. I suggest you try to remove your lens and read again. I never said anything about who died or didn't die and that poster said more than only who died and didn't die. Children statistically experience fewer consequences than adults and I addressed a possible mechanism for it, which was a decreased number of receptors. What there is to argue are your assumptions and projections.

Old 07-18-2020, 05:32 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,359,245 times
Default What is DeVos doing to ensure our children are safe in schools?

To paraphrase Michael Corleone's answer: "My offer is nothing."

Old 07-19-2020, 02:42 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,018,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
Heard a doctor the other day who said no one in the US under the age of 18 has died from Covid. Children rarely pass CV to adults (cited biological reason that I didn't understand) but can get it from adults, although they seldom have serious results. One reason they are safer at school.

Well that's a lie.

We had a child in South Carolina who was 5 years old die from it. https://abcnews4.com/news/local/firs...9-dhec-reports

Wasn't even in school

Old 07-19-2020, 02:47 PM
bu2

24,106 posts, read 14,891,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Well that's a lie.

We had a child in South Carolina who was 5 years old die from it. https://abcnews4.com/news/local/firs...9-dhec-reports

Wasn't even in school
You can make an argument (I think a weak one) to close schools to protect teachers and the elderly.

But the common flue is more likely to kill kids than Covid. Only hysteria will make you argue that closing schools is good for the children.

Schools are open all over Europe. There is no question that keeping schools closed hurts those who struggle the most.

Old 07-20-2020, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimApplebaum View Post
I don't wear a monocle.
Umm. Ok

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
Children rarely pass CV to adults (cited biological reason that I didn't understand) but can get it from adults, although they seldom have serious results.
So, this statement doesn't exist. I am speaking to the lower infection rate due to lower viral load capacity. I have no idea how many kids have died in the US. But, if you're that invested in it, if you need your rightness badly, have at it I guess.

Old 07-20-2020, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
You can make an argument (I think a weak one) to close schools to protect teachers and the elderly.

But the common flue is more likely to kill kids than Covid. Only hysteria will make you argue that closing schools is good for the children.

Schools are open all over Europe. There is no question that keeping schools closed hurts those who struggle the most.
How can we compare countries that have their infection rates under control with the US? That's not to say some states shouldn't reopen school, but states that continue to have a lot of cases? That doesn't make sense. I wish we would/could generally close state borders save those who have to cross for work.

Old 07-20-2020, 11:29 AM

4,022 posts, read 1,878,692 times
It isn't and hasn't been a great risk to young people - figures vary, but I'd wager the car ride to school is more risky than the 'Rona for school-age kids.

But the OVERALL problem - remains - the kids take it to school, give it to their friends, who take it home to their parents. Since we're worried about HOSPITAL BEDS - and not (just) death - this could cause a major problem.

For folks that don't want to expose their own children to danger or whatever - that's prudent, compassionate, and understandable, and I am not telling anyone how to raise their kids - but, quite literally, the risk is less than practically anything else your child is exposed to during the day, including strangers, peanuts, and bee stings.

So - if you're going to worry - worry for yourself or your local hospital and its ability to deal with an infected community - but don't worry about your kids, unless you plan to put them in a bubble. Home schooling won't work either - more likely to die at home from practically anything else except the 'rona.

As of June 23rd (a month ago, I know) we had 26 school-aged or younger child deaths from COVID. 26.

In that same period (4 months), about 200 drowned, 400 died of SIDS, some 200 have died of the regular flu this season, and about 200 in car crashes. (I'm using averages here.)

There is NO DOUBT the child-total will rise, as the nation-wide totals rise - but it's pretty clear it's very - very - rare. About half as likely as being killed by lightning. Really. Look it up.

So to avoid school to protect your kids - you'll have to do better than just avoid the 'Rona, if you want to make a meaningful change. Again - not downplaying your care of kids - but the risks will never - ever - be zero - from ANYTHING. It will never be zero. But this is, mathematically, about as close to zero as you're going to get.

EXCEPT - it seems being killed in a school-bus accident is about half as likely as COVID. That's how rare THAT is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies