Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2020, 10:57 AM

20,757 posts, read 8,594,869 times

Advertisements

There are some odd examples of experiments, and how famous scientists even centuries ago tended to 'fudge' things.

A month ago the Lancet and the New England Journal of Medicine each retracted a major study on Covid-19 drug therapies. One article had been up for more than a month, the other for less than two weeks. Both were based on faked data. That the rush to publish on Covid-19 led established researchers, reviewers and journals to skip elementary checks is deplorable, if not entirely surprising. But is there a more deep-seated crisis in scientific research?

...committees of academics will always tend to reward mediocrity and distrust originality. For this, I am sorry to say, there is no cure. Human beings are pack animals. In science, as in market economies, competition is always imperfect; but the solution is never to eliminate but always to regulate it.

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/...f261990e496cac
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2020, 11:05 AM

17,311 posts, read 12,267,497 times
The scientific method results in continuous improvement. So things can flip-flop with new data and bad studies will get exposed and retracted. This isn't a bad thing but rather a sign of better understanding of our world.

There are a lot of people that crave a permanent truth(like religious dogma) and can't accept that. I believe that is a big cause of the anti-intellectualism we see. They want everything to stay the same as what they learned as a child. New evidence that rewrites history becomes "revisionist history" as a negative rather than positive. Eggs are good or eggs are bad. Wear a mask or don't. All chip away at any trust they had in science, not realizing that updates are signs of science working.

Old 07-09-2020, 11:05 AM

20,955 posts, read 5,550,060 times
Yep.

Just yep.

But....but....but....SCIENCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 07-09-2020, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
The scientific method results in continuous improvement. So things can flip-flop with new data and bad studies will get exposed and retracted. This isn't a bad thing but rather a sign of better understanding of our world.

There are a lot of people that crave a permanent truth(like religious dogma) and can't accept that. I believe that is a big cause of the anti-intellectualism we see. They want everything to stay the same as what they learned as a child. New evidence that rewrites history becomes "revisionist history" as a negative rather than positive. Eggs are good or eggs are bad. Wear a mask or don't. All chip away at any trust they had in science, not realizing that updates are signs of science working.

And what happens when one of the white coated deities simply makes up their "research" out of whole cloth? This guy is the one who finally convinced me to abandon any faith I ever had in "medicine" after I took one of the drugs he supposedly "researched" and my teeth fell out, among other side effects.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...st-faked-data/

Old 07-09-2020, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkhmini View Post
And what happens when one of the white coated deities simply makes up their "research" out of whole cloth? This guy is the one who finally convinced me to abandon any faith I ever had in "medicine" after I took one of the drugs he supposedly "researched" and my teeth fell out, among other side effects.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...st-faked-data/
Then that is discovered as it was...

Old 07-09-2020, 11:18 AM

4,214 posts, read 3,764,709 times
Anything can be scientifically proven if they are paid enough. There always seems to be two sides to science when there should only be one. This unfortunately makes debating a topic very difficult when both sides have science to back their theories.

Old 07-09-2020, 11:30 AM

Short term bad studies exist, sure. But the principle of reproducibility by 3rd parties ensures it won't stand over time.

Also why it's important to have public funding for science.

Old 07-09-2020, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangman66 View Post
Anything can be scientifically proven if they are paid enough. There always seems to be two sides to science when there should only be one. This unfortunately makes debating a topic very difficult when both sides have science to back their theories.

There's the point. Everyone has a price, including "scientists".

Old 07-09-2020, 12:13 PM

46,970 posts, read 26,018,521 times
Bogus studies being discovered as such and retracted is an example of the process working, you doofuses.

A scientist is as prone to human weakness, vanity, stubbornness and folly as is every other person. That is why we gradually refined the process. Is it perfect? Absolutely not. But it's worked pretty damn well over the centuries. And it sure beats the alternatives.

Old 07-09-2020, 12:21 PM

4,025 posts, read 1,881,674 times
So a handful of bad actors causes ALL OF SCIENCE to be invalid for you?

Same logic as All Cops Are Racist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies