Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2020, 09:00 AM

8,060 posts, read 3,941,959 times

Advertisements

Mandatory Implicit Bias Training Is a Bad Idea
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2020, 09:00 AM

9,701 posts, read 5,109,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
If you read my post above this one #41, you will see how I addressed a few of the posters comments.

Yours are similar in that you attribute higher death rates or medical problems, with an implication that individual caregivers are not looking at a patient based on medical need, rather race.
That is absurd.
Access to care, poor health in general, improper diet, genetic predispositions, poor education, etc. etc. etc. have NOTHING to do with a MD, nurse, or other medical professional delivering the best care they are capable of.

You almost make it sound like when a white person comes into the ER the staff jumps to it, and do everything possible to help the person. But when a black person comes in, they are ambivalent toward the outcome of the persons medical malady.
That is absurd, and you should know that in your heart.

If you and others have gotten to the point of thinking (or being brainwashed) that every aspect of life treats blacks poorly, and whites are all being carried around on litters in the lap of luxury, we have much bigger problems in race relations than we did just a decade or so ago.

`
Just in case you didn't see this

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
Did you know that to this very day, actual doctors and nurses STILL believe that Black people have a higher pain tolerance and literally thicker skin than non-Blacks and that impacts how they allow medicine and pain killers in hospitals.

This study has been repeated many times, and even as recently as 2016 this was still a highly held belief by literal doctors and nurses.

Do I need to repeat that?

Old 07-10-2020, 09:06 AM

30,140 posts, read 11,765,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
Wow, not a single comment thus far about this leftist kooks insanity, that is bleeding over into every aspect of life in our country?

It is bad enough the teachers are brainwashing our kids and those who send their kids to public schools do nothing about it.
But now Whitmer wants to mandate re-education camps for people who are not racist/biased, but are presumed to be, and must be made to comply with her projecting her own delusional beliefs on everyone else.

`
I am not for mandating this sort of thing at all. But its a states rights thing to me as a Libertarian. If the majority of people do not like it, vote her out or recall her. Or move. I don't live there so its not my problem.

Its a little over the top calling them re-education camps. Reality is the watch a video and sign a form saying they watched a video. In a sense it protects the health care workers from being accused of not treating a minority patient correctly.

Old 07-10-2020, 09:20 AM

16,548 posts, read 8,584,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
So your argument is that there is absolutely no implicit bias in the medical community?

Well first of all, lets start out with the premise some of these terms like implicit bias, microaggressions, triggered, etc., are all things that are newly discovered in the present "woke" culture among the liberals/leftists.
Then you have the grievance merchants/industry telling people they are the victims of XYZ (not just black folks).

Personally I think we have been in a culture war since the 1960's when the apply coined phrase "counter culture" was born. Though that was before many of our times coming of age, we can see many of those hippie types are now at an age that they are influencing our school systems, government, etc.
They see everything traditional with American culture as inherently biased and in need of "transformation".
To a great degree they are still stuck in the 60's.
Many black folks (who are older and wiser) know life has never been better for them on the whole, yet the media and liberal Democrats try to convince them they never had it worse.

This video clip from a funny comedy has always stuck out in my mind where the woman comes into the lawyers office knowing she is responsible for her impending divorce, and being cut out of a big money settlement.
But by the time the lawyer twists things to make the husband seem like the bad guy, with her bearing no responsibility, she is all enraged and looking for her "entitlement";

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uciVCnUYeuc

While just a funny clip, if you are taught from a young age that every obstacle in your path is due to someone else causing it, and that we are all entitled to live like billionaires (and would do so if XYZ was not stopping you), how do you think people are going to think.
I have run out of time to finish my overall point, but rest assured many of us have encountered hardships, disappointment, and potholes, yet we are white people, supposedly privileged in some way. But just imagine being brainwashed into thinking because were are XYZ, that those aforementioned things were not our fault or just part of the hard knocks of life. Instead is was inherent bias against us.
That would become not only a crutch, but an excuse for us to demand what we deserve and are entitled to. That is no way to live, nor to base how a society functions.

`

Old 07-10-2020, 09:29 AM

7,974 posts, read 7,346,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
If someone is truly racist, no amount of "bias training" will change that, they will sit through those classes rolling their eyes the whole time. In fact, I think this will make them even MORE racist because they're being forced to do something they don't want to do.
This. You nailed it. Like I stated in another post, I was required to sit through various "sensitivity training" seminars throughout my checkered work history. You could hear the snickers and rude comments in back of the room. Later these seminars/presenters were mocked unmercilessly behind HR's back. Yeah, they did a LOT of good (snark).

Old 07-10-2020, 09:39 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,368,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
She is implying the healthcare system is racist. She needs more than training to fix her issues. I wonder if she'll be re elected?
No, she's not.

She's recognizing that medical practitioners and medical service providers can be biased, specifically based on race. Those sorts of biases can be much more damaging in a medical setting as opposed to, say, someone who works at the GAP. Hence the training requirement.

Old 07-10-2020, 09:48 AM

34,229 posts, read 18,561,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
No, she's not.

She's recognizing that medical practitioners and medical service providers can be biased, specifically based on race. Those sorts of biases can be much more damaging in a medical setting as opposed to, say, someone who works at the GAP. Hence the training requirement.
Yes she is. Bias based solely on race IS Racism.

Old 07-10-2020, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Yes she is. Bias based solely on race IS Racism.

Hint: I italicized the important bits in my reply.

Old 07-10-2020, 10:12 AM

5,978 posts, read 2,232,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultor View Post
That article seems to target the general population or college campuses. That article does not address healthcare providers and the effects of bias on care provided. You need to be more specific.

Old 07-10-2020, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultor View Post
Shocker! You mean there isn't 100% agreement across the professional psychological community on a given topic???? Gotta be the first time ever for that, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies