Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2020, 04:29 PM

14,004 posts, read 5,652,661 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Alabama doesn't play other Alabama teams besides Auburn and hasn't since 1944. They are perfectly willing to feed the little dogs from other states...but not their own.

I appreciate tOSU for playing other in state teams because it keeps the MAC in the spotlight and the MAC plays decent football. I wish they would play Cincinatti a little more often because Cinci is a bit above the MAC. Could be a fun rivalry.
OK, bad example, but the point is, most top tier programs play instate small schools so those smaller schools can get a payday and keep football going strong inside the state. tOSU is one of the state schools that regularly gives 2-3 in state small schools the big payday. I know Michigan and MSU hook up the small schools in Michigan, etc.

If Alabama isn't keeping the money inside their state, well shame on them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2020, 04:37 PM

31,292 posts, read 20,774,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro5 View Post
I'm an avid hockey fan and would like to see the NHL back in action again, along with football. That said, if guys on the PGA Tour are getting sick with no contact, team sports are going to be a disaster.
Maybe not. These kids are very young and very healthy. It's more like catching a minor cold. Many that get infected never even know it.

Old 07-10-2020, 04:48 PM

17,835 posts, read 13,750,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
OK, bad example, but the point is, most top tier programs play instate small schools so those smaller schools can get a payday and keep football going strong inside the state. tOSU is one of the state schools that regularly gives 2-3 in state small schools the big payday. I know Michigan and MSU hook up the small schools in Michigan, etc.

If Alabama isn't keeping the money inside their state, well shame on them.
No doubt, Bama and Auburn should throw UAB and Troy a bone every once in a whole. They field pretty good teams some years. And it's not like Bama and Auburn aren't willing to play weak level non conference teams they play a couple every year.

Old 07-10-2020, 10:31 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,947,355 times
Pac-12 joined the Big10 in having only in conference games this year.

Old 07-10-2020, 10:42 PM

5,300 posts, read 5,255,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Ohio State was set to play Oregon in Eugene this year. It was one of the biggest, if not the biggest, non-conference games of the season in all of college football.

Other notable games canned...

Michigan at Washington
Penn State at Virginia Tech
Miami at Michigan State
Wisconsin vs Notre Dame (in Green Bay)
As a Buckeye fan I was really looking forward to that game this year...at least Oregon will be in Columbus next season so long as things are back to normal by then.

In all honesty, I don't see how football can be played...there is no social distancing to speak of as you have 22 guys trying to hit each other...even though its outside there is just no way to stop the spread of it.

Baseball is not a contact sport so it can be safely played if you ask me. The NBA bubble could work as long as every player stays put inside the bubble...but basketball is definitely played in too close quarters as well so if one player has it then all the players on the floor will probably get it.

As much as I love sports and miss them terribly, I think these leagues probably just need to cancel everything until this virus is under control.

Old 07-10-2020, 10:45 PM

34,094 posts, read 17,157,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
By October, ESPN will be showing Antiques Roadshow re-runs and a "Knitting with Nancy" Tag Team Take-down.
By then, their entire staff can gather in a small room together to watch, also.

Old 07-10-2020, 10:56 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,643,329 times
OH wow, the economy wont be able to handle that!

Also, if NFL doesnt play this fall, that is going to create some HUGE implications for stadium 'ownership' issues, where cities have staked the teams home, this has the potential to be VERY bad for numerous cities and teams.

Old 07-10-2020, 11:01 PM

34,094 posts, read 17,157,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
OH wow, the economy wont be able to handle that!

Also, if NFL doesnt play this fall, that is going to create some HUGE implications for stadium 'ownership' issues, where cities have staked the teams home, this has the potential to be VERY bad for numerous cities and teams.
It will also crush money-losing sports programs at universities, ESPN staff, stadium staff, government tax revenues which will lead to budget cuts,...

In 2030, covid economic affects will still be felt in ways the "close everything folks" are too ignorant to comprehend.

Old 07-10-2020, 11:26 PM

5,300 posts, read 5,255,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Pac-12 joined the Big10 in having only in conference games this year.
The Big 12, ACC, and SEC will all follow suit shortly..

Old 07-11-2020, 05:17 AM

2,924 posts, read 1,994,804 times
Conference games are safe for players to play but non-conference games aren't? Ridiculous. This has to be optics related to make the media and fans believe the conferences are being proactive while still being able to use the players to make big money.

They should cancel college and pro sports seasons and wait until we have a Covid-19 vaccine, which reportedly wont be available until at least the 1st or 2nd quarter of 2021. If they don't cancel now they'll probably be forced to cancel midway through the season after players start to fall ill and some of them die, coaches too. I'd like to see some of these big name coaches and players stand up and say no way, the risk is too severe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies