Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2020, 08:31 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,889,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
No, they do it because nautical gendarmes would fine or otherwise harass them, were they to do otherwise. How often have you fallen from a boat? Try it sometime. Try swimming to overtake the boat, or to at least maneuver to be received upon its return. It doesn't work very well, if wearing a life-jacket.

I sincerely wish you the best of health and continued vitality. But do please realize, that not all of us share your zest for life, your obsession with its continuation. Some of us spend many a night, kneeling at the bedside, in prayer to Darwin.

I too am often in amazement and regret, at how people decide, what they choose, and why. But there is something liltingly soft and charming about being merely stupid. Far worse is a didactic insistence on how others ought to behave, and a withering contempt for those who behave otherwise.

The motivations for rules, are legion... and not all of them, or even the majority, are sincere, guileless, aboveboard or all that wise. The punishment for stupidity is sometimes death, but if that's so, then I am much befuddled, as to whether it's really a punishment, or a reward. Instead, the more common punishment is a loss of prestige, a diminution of resources, an ostracism, a deliberate infliction of pain.

Despite substantial reservations, I'm becoming a Trumpy/Trumpster/etc. Why? Because Trump, for all of his mendacity and incompetence, is an impediment to the nattering schoolmarmish cabal of the safety-culture.
Before Trump we had at least one somewhat rational main party. Now we have none. Putin’s b**** needs to go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2020, 08:38 AM

13,480 posts, read 8,382,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangman66 View Post
Those concerned about people not wearing a mask should just double up then. Problem solved. If that doesn't work, perhaps masks aren't that effective to begin with.
Do you even realize why masks are worn? They are worn to protect other people from your coughs and sneezes. Nobody ever said they will protect you, yourself, if you wear them.

Put a mask on your face when you go out, or get used to being kicked out of public places. Because it's going to happen.

Old 07-11-2020, 08:39 AM

290 posts, read 164,761 times
Wish I died in his place. This earth is ugly.

Old 07-11-2020, 08:46 AM

19,637 posts, read 12,226,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
I have a hard time feeling any sorrow. The people who actually know about disease warned us all from the first to protect ourselves because Covid can be deadly and no one else can protect you.

Those warnings began in early March and they're still coming daily, 4 months later. After a big flare-up that proves foregoing protection is dangerous.

No one is superhuman. The disease does not care in the least what you believe or not. It wants you, me and everyone else, and if it can catch us, it will kill us if it can.

Nope. Willful self-sacrifice to a lie is no noble way to die. It's as stupid as standing in front of a speeding
train and declaring the train won't run you over.

Gee... does it hurt? Hell yes it hurts! Everyone who has died from Covid has died in agony. He never needed to know that first-hand. He was warned time after time Covid is extremely painful.

An agonizing, slow, death by degrees is hardly worth a weekend pool party and a little bit of internet gloating. I'm sure that the dear departed would agree, if he could.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Do you even realize why masks are worn? They are worn to protect other people from your coughs and sneezes. Nobody ever said they will protect you, yourself, if you wear them.

Put a mask on your face when you go out, or get used to being kicked out of public places. Because it's going to happen.
It will only be enforced seriously if not wearing mask could be associated with racism.

Old 07-11-2020, 08:49 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,265,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnOurWayHome View Post
This should be a lesson. Wear the mask and social distance yourself. Also keep yourself in shape.

Old 07-11-2020, 09:04 AM

4,214 posts, read 3,760,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post

I shop where masks aren't required and I have peacefully left several places that said I had to wear one. A simple "ok, thank you" was all I said and took my business elsewhere.

I certainly realize the propoganda that is floating around about why everyone is supposed to wear a mask, but if two masks equal the best protection, why don't those two masks work if the same person is wearing them? When I am in public, I keep my distance, don't touch things that I'm not going to buy, don't start conversations, I mind my own business.

Old 07-11-2020, 12:35 PM

13,656 posts, read 9,714,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by let455_ View Post
Wish I died in his place. This earth is ugly.
Best post in the whole thread.

Old 07-11-2020, 12:42 PM

73,020 posts, read 62,607,656 times
A large portion of the world doesn't want Americans traveling there. Stuff like this is why. If this Covid-19 stuff is "nothing", why have so many countries barred Americans from going to them? Why is the EU closing its borders to Americans?

Old 07-11-2020, 12:51 PM

606 posts, read 354,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
Why? Why? Because we're mandated in doing so. I'd not wear a seatbelt, where there little chance of getting ticketed for such "transgression". Life jackets on boats? Same story. Ever tried to swim with any sort of celerity, while wearing a life jacket? And so forth. We accede to the demands levied upon us, not because we agree, or subscribe to the rationale, but because we fear punishment.
BS. You think I make my 6 year old wear a helmet on her bike because I’m afraid of being ticketed? You think i wear a seatbelt because I’m afraid of getting caught? The chances of the police stopping me for not wearing a seatbelt are probably less than dying in a car crash where I live.

I also have insurance on my wedding ring, keep important documents and items in a safe deposit box, and have higher than the base amount of coverage on my car even though none of those are required by law. It’s called making decisions based on risk assessment.

Old 07-11-2020, 12:52 PM

8,238 posts, read 3,492,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
A large portion of the world doesn't want Americans traveling there. Stuff like this is why. If this Covid-19 stuff is "nothing", why have so many countries barred Americans from going to them? Why is the EU closing its borders to Americans?
They did it too late. If everywhere else barred Americans all along then no one could have been going on vacation and bringing back disease.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies