Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2020, 07:45 PM

2,540 posts, read 1,033,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
I just read this:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...irus-hoax.html

This young man attended a party that was thrown by someone who tested positive for Covid. They all wanted to see if it was infectious. He was 30 when he died.

His last words were: 'I think I made a mistake. I thought this was a hoax, but it's not.'

The 37 year old man the OP posted was real but the link you just posted has no name even though he's dead which makes me a little suspicious. Can someone provide a link to the obituary?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2020, 08:10 PM

43,073 posts, read 18,246,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkingOutsideTheBox View Post
The 37 year old man the OP posted was real but the link you just posted has no name even though he's dead which makes me a little suspicious. Can someone provide a link to the obituary?
The Chief Medical Officer a the hospital didn't release his name.
Here's a link to a Texas news website.
Feel free to contact the good doctor and ask for his name.

https://myfox8.com/news/i-thought-th...g-covid-party/
Appelby says she hopes that, in sharing this patient’s story, she can help people realize the severity of the virus.

“This is just one example of a potentially avoidable death in a young member of our community, and I can’t imagine the loss of the family,” Appleby said. “We’re here to help you. At the same time, we hope that you don’t need our help. Please wear a mask, stay at home when you can, avoid groups of people and sanitize your hands.”

Old 07-11-2020, 08:32 PM

13,646 posts, read 9,706,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
This young man attended a party that was thrown by someone who tested positive for Covid. They all wanted to see if it was infectious. He was 30 when he died.

His last words were: 'I think I made a mistake. I thought this was a hoax, but it's not.'
And that's the source of both irony and finger-wagging deprecation in this thread. Suppose that instead the person in question had publicly asserted: "Yes, this is real; and yes, this is dangerous. No, I am not immune, and no, I don't believe that somehow I could swallow fire or walk on water. But you know what? I've had enough of this [expletive], and if this 'rona is my [expletive] out of this [expletive] life, ... if the [expletive] is going to get us anyway, then I make my stand here, on this hill, today".

Old 07-11-2020, 09:02 PM

32,056 posts, read 15,052,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Except, while he was out enjoying life, he was getting up close and personal with other people who weren't wearing masks. How many others did he infect? I'm sorry he died, I certainly wouldn't have wished anything like that on him. But the fact is, he was a selfish man. He was more concerned about drinking and partying and not inconveniencing himself by wearing a mask than he was about taking the simplest precautions to safeguard his own health and the health of others. He paid the ultimate penalty for his own selfishness, and he may have inflicted harm on others as well.
You know we have our differences but I always respect your point of view. Why can't we just all wear a mask. I don't understand the big deal. No one likes wearing one but if I can protect you than why wouldn't I wear one. Makes no sense to me. Why are some so selfish.

Old 07-11-2020, 09:10 PM

73,002 posts, read 62,578,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
You know we have our differences but I always respect your point of view. Why can't we just all wear a mask. I don't understand the big deal. No one likes wearing one but if I can protect you than why wouldn't I wear one. Makes no sense to me. Why are some so selfish.
I know why some people are very selfish. They don't care. At first it was people claiming it was a hoax. Next it was "it's not THAT BAD". Next it was "no one is taking my freedom ". At this point,this is where I think we're at. Some people know this isn't a game. Some people would rather die than wear a mask. Many people are out for themselves and don't care about consequences. Some people are selfish to the degree of preferring their own death.

Old 07-11-2020, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
...Many people are out for themselves and don't care about consequences. Some people are selfish to the degree of preferring their own death.
Why do you regard this as being some kind of shock, calamity or gross moral transgression? If people weren't out for themselves, how would businesses get started, investments get made, records in sports get pursued?

We humans collaborate to the extent hat we find there to be something useful in others. We recognize our limitations, and seek help accordingly, under the presumption that the counterparty provides help because we have something to offer in turn. Sometimes the specific party in question has nothing useful to offer, but others note our good behavior, and are in position to offer us something accordingly. True altruism - freely offering help to others, with no expectation or presumption of tangible return - is rare.

Old 07-11-2020, 09:50 PM

73,002 posts, read 62,578,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
Why do you regard this as being some kind of shock, calamity or gross moral transgression? If people weren't out for themselves, how would businesses get started, investments get made, records in sports get pursued?

We humans collaborate to the extent hat we find there to be something useful in others. We recognize our limitations, and seek help accordingly, under the presumption that the counterparty provides help because we have something to offer in turn. Sometimes the specific party in question has nothing useful to offer, but others note our good behavior, and are in position to offer us something accordingly. True altruism - freely offering help to others, with no expectation or presumption of tangible return - is rare.
I was talking specifically about this situation, the Covid-19 situation. Being out for yourself might work when it comes to starting a business. However, when it comes to diseases, it does not do any good.

Old 07-11-2020, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I was talking specifically about this situation, the Covid-19 situation. Being out for yourself might work when it comes to starting a business. However, when it comes to diseases, it does not do any good.
The principle is universal. It applies to cutting-off fellow drivers on the highway, lining up for sacks of rice when the UN food-truck shows up in your village, or dealing with a pandemic.

There is in the case of this thread a clear causal chain, between behavior (not wearing a mask, being in a crowded place with lots of other people who weren't wearing a mask) and outcome (contracting the virus and dying).

Now let's do a though-experiment, fast-forwarding years into the future. It's the year 2022, and the coronavirus pandemic has officially been declared to be over. You survived, and I survived. In fact to our knowledge, neither one of us ever contracted the virus. Can it be claimed reliably, that it was because we both wore masks for two years, that we avoided infection?

I'm more wont to say, that there I was, wearing masks for two years, and my reward was... return to the status quo ante. There was no "heroic mask wearer" award. No prize or accolade. Just the zero-result.

Let me rephrase. If you're a motorcycle rider who gets into a horrific accident, but walks away unscathed, then you'll sing praises of your safety equipment... jacket, boots, helmet. They saved your skin (literally) and probably your life. But if you spend 30 years riding motorcycles, without ever even getting into an accident, then the whole rigmarole of putting on the leathers and helmet will just feel like 30 years of bovine inconvenience... of listening to "The Man", because The Man told you to do it.

Old 07-12-2020, 06:51 AM

24,396 posts, read 23,053,611 times
If you saw a person inside a store NOT wearing a mask in defiance of local or state mandates requiring them be worn, would you confront them or go to store management to ask they wear one or call your local authorities to report them and have them charged?

If you answered YES to any or all of the above, here's another question for you. If the person was wearing a mask, but was displaying symptoms of coughing, sneezing or otherwise appearing to be ill what would you do then? Bear in mind this person has just posed a far far greater risk to the health and safety of those around them than the person not wearing a mask. Report them to the authorities? Demand they be removed from the business? Confront them yourself and demand they leave? What criminal charges should they face if they were tested and found to have Covid 19? Terrorism?
Or would you say its not your place to question them or would you just run away as fast as you could? Be honest, if possible.

Old 07-12-2020, 07:09 AM

4,206 posts, read 3,757,431 times
You would think by now our homeless population would be eradicated with how threatening this virus is. No sanitation, no distancing, no masks...it should be spreading like wild fire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies