Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2020, 11:48 AM

73,008 posts, read 62,598,043 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepnking View Post
Often times when talking of a group or class of people, statements are taken to be a broad brush analysis of everyone in that group or class. We know a 'broad brush' description doesn't begin to portray reality. There are sectors of every group that have bad tendencies which tend to stand out from the rest of the group. It is that portion which is usually being spoken of. It becomes redundant to say 'now this doesn't apply to everyone' before making a statement. There will be those who do implement a broad brush view of their outlook, but they are the minority.
And that is the thing. Making a broad brush analysis doesn't make for a good discussion. It doesn't get anything solved. Talking about Black on Black crime is one thing. Making broad brushing comments, and phrasing things in ways like "the Blacks", and the inability to make any distinction between the average Black person and the thugs doing the killing, that is a big problem. What good does it do for this discussion?

Old 09-16-2020, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHenriques1147 View Post
I'd submit that if BLM were an organically grown organization stemming from anti-violence initiatives in the black community in general, then their moniker of black lives "mattering" would be taken more seriously.

Right now, however, it's like someone who just lost a leg who is bleeding out complaining about a fractured finger.
I didn't even bring up BLM in that post. What does it have to do with what you responded to? In fact, go look who I responded to.

Old 09-16-2020, 12:02 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,733,704 times
Yes I care a lot. I have a -- the closest equivalent would be a godson -- who is black and he has no father in the home. I worry about the kid. If he looks to black culture for role models and who he's supposed to be, this will push him in a lot of bad directions. Crime. Drug culture. Black Lives Matter would have him believe that he's entitled to other people's stuff and that the world owes him. This leads to rage, hatred, bitterness, but nothing positive. It does not lead to passion for life and a positive life experience. I'll do what I can, but I already see the bad influences turning him in the wrong direct. And sure, I have black friends -- a statement which is apparently racist ...

I feel like a broken record, but I think it's important for people like me to say more than, "But black on black crime!"

Why is black crime so bad? The root of the problem is the culture within black America. The only way you solve this kind of thing is to change the culture. If we can challenge all young Americans, but with a special focus on black and Hispanic communities, to do the following, we might just turn things around:
  • Graduate from high school. (21% of black kids don't.)
  • After high school, get a full time job. (Idle hands are the devil's playground.)
  • Do not commit any crimes.
  • Stay away from drugs, alcohol and other things that are likely to sabotage your future.
  • Do not get pregnant/get anyone else pregnant. To be safe, don't have sex at all before you're 18.
  • After you turn 20, start looking. Find somebody special, get married and have a family.
  • Make your future, and later on, your current family the center of your life.

The studies have been done over and over and over again. If young people currently in poverty can just do those things, there is 93-97% chance they'll move out of poverty and into the middle class. It will also do wonders for decreasing crime. It opens the doors to bigger and better things.

It also wouldn't hurt to stop glorifying gang culture, drug culture and all the wrong sorts of things. There are a lot better role models available to you than George Floyd or Tupac Shakur. Better options:
  • Frederick Douglas
  • George Washington Carver
  • Neil DeGrass Tyson
  • Jack Johnson

Old 09-16-2020, 12:08 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,163,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by devdaen View Post
With that being said, do you actually care about blacks harming other blacks?
I do, but BLM does not and apparently could actually care less.

6.2% of the population is responsible for 54.9% of the murders in 2018.

Yes, I know 13.4% of the US population is Black, but to include Black women would be unfair. Black women outnumber Black men due to the high mortality rate of Black men and Black women infrequently commit murder. You're more likely to be murdered by a White woman than a Black woman.

So far in 2020, Cincinnati has seen 57 homicides, the latest coming overnight. That's a 36.6% increase from numbers at this point last year. “If 2020 continues on the pace that it is, this will probably be the worst year for homicidal violence that we've had on record,” Neudigate added.

BLM has never shown up once for any of those 57 murders.

The conclusion a reasonable person would draw is that Black Lives DON"T Matter.

Old 09-16-2020, 03:53 PM

1,926 posts, read 557,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
And that is the thing. Making a broad brush analysis doesn't make for a good discussion. It doesn't get anything solved. Talking about Black on Black crime is one thing. Making broad brushing comments, and phrasing things in ways like "the Blacks", and the inability to make any distinction between the average Black person and the thugs doing the killing, that is a big problem. What good does it do for this discussion?
......or any other discussion for that matter. The same thing happens with whites. 'White privilege' is a phrase we hear often applied to all whites, although there are white people in poverty also leading less than desirable lives 'trapped' in their environment just as their black counterparts. "Whites are racists" as evidenced by 'systemic racism' is another example. The 'broad brush' is applied to everyone by everyone in any race or class, intentionally or not. It is not a perfect world.

Old 09-17-2020, 10:08 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,862,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
Yes I care a lot. I have a -- the closest equivalent would be a godson -- who is black and he has no father in the home. I worry about the kid. If he looks to black culture for role models and who he's supposed to be, this will push him in a lot of bad directions. Crime. Drug culture. Black Lives Matter would have him believe that he's entitled to other people's stuff and that the world owes him. This leads to rage, hatred, bitterness, but nothing positive. It does not lead to passion for life and a positive life experience. I'll do what I can, but I already see the bad influences turning him in the wrong direct. And sure, I have black friends -- a statement which is apparently racist ...

I feel like a broken record, but I think it's important for people like me to say more than, "But black on black crime!"

Why is black crime so bad? The root of the problem is the culture within black America. The only way you solve this kind of thing is to change the culture. If we can challenge all young Americans, but with a special focus on black and Hispanic communities, to do the following, we might just turn things around:
  • Graduate from high school. (21% of black kids don't.)
  • After high school, get a full time job. (Idle hands are the devil's playground.)
  • Do not commit any crimes.
  • Stay away from drugs, alcohol and other things that are likely to sabotage your future.
  • Do not get pregnant/get anyone else pregnant. To be safe, don't have sex at all before you're 18.
  • After you turn 20, start looking. Find somebody special, get married and have a family.
  • Make your future, and later on, your current family the center of your life.

The studies have been done over and over and over again. If young people currently in poverty can just do those things, there is 93-97% chance they'll move out of poverty and into the middle class. It will also do wonders for decreasing crime. It opens the doors to bigger and better things.

It also wouldn't hurt to stop glorifying gang culture, drug culture and all the wrong sorts of things. There are a lot better role models available to you than George Floyd or Tupac Shakur. Better options:
  • Frederick Douglas
  • George Washington Carver
  • Neil DeGrass Tyson
  • Jack Johnson
Until we get rid of the welfare state which encourages couples to not stay together and raise their kids, not much will be solved. The ones committing the highest rates of crimes, by far, are the same sub group of every group. it's children raised in single parent families. Most of those children are good kids, but that is where the problem is.

"Even in high-crime inner-city neighborhoods, well over 90 percent of children from safe, stable homes do not become delinquents. By contrast only 10 percent of children from unsafe, unstable homes in these neighborhoods avoid crime."

Old 09-17-2020, 11:41 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,879,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Interesting, candid thread.

I will admit I don't care all that much when i read a local story about two young men in gangs, or warring over drugs, who shoot one another dead in the streets. I click into the headline, of a murder, and when it's clear it was a gangland killing, or drug dealers shooting each other, I can feel my "care" just drain out. Literally.

I do care a great deal when you see a bright eyed child gunned down in the crossfire, or a mother begging for safety in her neighborhood so her kids can simply walk to school, and that breaks my heart.

But these late teens and 20something men who are shooting each other every day - all I can think is, don't be involving anyone else in your murderous behavior, kill each other if you must.

Every life has value, and so every death is a loss, but we only have so many hours in the day and I'm not even going to finish a news story that's about some guy getting dumped off at the emergency room dying, while his friends speed off, and here's a description of the shooter, cops need your help.

I don't even finish the story.
For once we agree completely.

Honestly dont care when 1 gangbanger kills another. I do care when they kill an innocent child , or a single mom, or kid about to leave for college.

Old 09-24-2020, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
I care more about it than the BLM people do, I can tell you that.
This isn't the question though. The question is "do you really care about black on black violent crime", period. Yes or No?

Old 09-24-2020, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
The gang culture goes back to prehistory.
Gangs have been a thing all over the world going back to the formation of cities, and before.

Old 09-24-2020, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
For once we agree completely.

Honestly dont care when 1 gangbanger kills another. I do care when they kill an innocent child , or a single mom, or kid about to leave for college.
My reason for caring crosses of multitude of reasons. If said persons are thugs killing each other, that is one thing. But like you, I care if it's a parent getting killed or someone innocent getting killed.

Normally, I wouldn't care if crips and bloods are going at each other. But they make the neighborhoods they live in nightmares. It hurts those who are there out of necessity (can't afford much better,etc). When alot of gang shootings happen, it isn't just gang members who get killed. In many cases, innocent people get killed because of stray bullets. Kids who get shot in their beds, who aren't even the targets, because two men outside got into it, shot each other, stray bullets hit an apartment or a house. No one is thinking "there are kids sleeping in that house". Said persons are so full of hate and anger towards each other, they want to kill each other, and kill each other with profound rage and hatred.

It also hurts persons who don't even live in those rough areas. I've said this ad nauseam, but this is just what I think. I watched an episode of Different Strokes. It was the bank robbery episode. Willis and Arnold were being held hostage by the bank robbers. Willis said to the Black bank robber "There are alot of good Black people out there, but it's going to be YOU they remember. That will make it harder for the rest of us". That quote can be applied to persons committing murders. Black males, relative to other demographics, have to deal with the stigma of being viewed as inherently more violent. Killing each other is only going to make worse.

To those thugs: When you commit all forms of violent crimes, you aren't just hurting yourselves and your neighborhood, you make my life harder. Whenever you commit murder and it ends up in the news, some people see this, and it isn't just you that will pay. Black men who have nothing to do with the violence might have to try twice as much to prove "not all of us Black men are like that".

I understand you have a Black son, and you aren't the person I'm talking about when I talk about those who perceive Black men as inherently violent. I was merely addressing a particular situation, and as to other reasons I care about Black on Black violence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies