Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2020, 09:31 AM

2,180 posts, read 639,735 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCbaxter View Post
And some are completely unaware of fact. The cotton gin caused an increase need for slaves, not the opposite.
Also, I don’t live in the SW and most of the farm workers here are Hispanic.

Don't worry. In the future we won't need a large class of pseudo slaves picking our food so that you guys can have cheap lettuce.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-t...-idUSKBN1DA0IQ

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-to-trump-wall

https://www.axios.com/automation-far...1d53b1598.html

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2...-robot-farmers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2020, 09:46 AM

407 posts, read 122,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AHenriques1147 View Post
And our next generation of college students can hopefully follow this trend as engineering and programming majors to create, write, and drive the automation. Maybe even some of these DACA kids.

Old 07-11-2020, 10:24 AM

62,866 posts, read 29,098,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AHenriques1147 View Post
We already have unlimited visas for "legal" foreign crop pickers because it's not a career job for Americans and is only seasonal work and most illegals aren't picking crops anyway. They have taken once good paying blue-collared jobs such as construction, landscaping, etc. They don't keep the costs of lettuce or any other produce down either. Their greedy employers merely pocket the profits from them. Get your facts straight!

Old 07-11-2020, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCbaxter View Post
And some are completely unaware of fact. The cotton gin caused an increase need for slaves, not the opposite.
Also, I don’t live in the SW and most of the farm workers here are Hispanic.
And most of them are here legally under the H-2A unlimited visas. That's not the industry that most illegals are working in anyway.

Old 07-11-2020, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax_G View Post
And our next generation of college students can hopefully follow this trend as engineering and programming majors to create, write, and drive the automation. Maybe even some of these DACA kids.
We don't need these DACA so-called kids for anything. They will just compete for jobs and resources against Americans. There are 800,000 of them for God's sake! That's 800,000 jobs that should go Americans instead. Isn't it bad enough that we have millions of anchor babies that will be doing the same?

Old 07-11-2020, 10:39 AM

20,702 posts, read 12,524,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post
There was a Pew Research survey last month that said that 74% supported protections for DACA.

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tan...y-as-children/

He’s in a tough re-election fight and he will do whatever he thinks necessary to improve his chances. Trump is 100% transactional. It’s all about him. It’s always been that way.

Old 07-11-2020, 10:39 AM

5,462 posts, read 3,032,557 times
And all this when the Supreme court said the lower courts can obtain his tax records.

Old 07-11-2020, 10:42 AM

407 posts, read 122,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
We don't need these DACA so-called kids for anything. They will just compete for jobs and resources against Americans. There are 800,000 of them for God's sake! That's 800,000 jobs that should go Americans instead. Isn't it bad enough that we have millions of anchor babies that will be doing the same?
It is what it is. I know a few undocumented families who just bust their buts. And I know one DACA girl. She's a good kid. She's been in the US since she was like 3 or something. She's getting ready for college now. She used to talk to me about law school or engineering. I hope she is successful. It would be incredibly cruel to send her to a place she doesn't know or understand. We just have to deal with it and being cruel isn't the way.

I also do not know about the competing for jobs mantra. I think about the people I see on my facebook page- the people I went to HS school with. So many of them are not only right wingers, but on the dole. Either disability, unemployment (when they could be working, but are making more not), not educated, and don't have their stuff together. So many of them are not doing anything. So, why deprive this kid? Doesn't make sense to me. She's a human being.

Old 07-11-2020, 10:52 AM

2,413 posts, read 2,984,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorel36 View Post
They don't deserve citizenship
Whether they deserve it or not, WE deserve it. We educated them and taught them to be good, hard working, tax paying Americans. Why would we want to export them to benefit another country when they were literally raised to be Americans?

Old 07-11-2020, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax_G View Post
It is what it is. I know a few undocumented families who just bust their buts. And I know one DACA girl. She's a good kid. She's been in the US since she was like 3 or something. She's getting ready for college now. She used to talk to me about law school or engineering. I hope she is successful. It would be incredibly cruel to send her to a place she doesn't know or understand. We just have to deal with it and being cruel isn't the way.

I also do not know about the competing for jobs mantra. I think about the people I see on my facebook page- the people I went to HS school with. So many of them are not only right wingers, but on the dole. Either disability, unemployment (when they could be working, but are making more not), not educated, and don't have their stuff together. So many of them are not doing anything. So, why deprive this kid? Doesn't make sense to me. She's a human being.
So what? I know many American families that bust their butts to. Is busting one's butt make it ok for one to be in our country illegally? No such thing as an undocumented family either. They are illegal aliens! Your DACA girl should return to her homeland along with her law breaking parents and apply to come back legally. There is nothing cruel about it! What does being human have to do with anything? Humans break laws and must be held accountable for it and their kids shouldn't benefit from it.

Why should she get a pass on our immigration laws no matter how she got here? She would be benefiting from her parent's crime and it would also reward her parents for bringing her here illegally. It would set a presidence that all you have to do is drag your kids over our border and they would be home free. It would just encourage more parents to do so.

Don't give me that crap about returning to her homeland and not knowing it either. She learned the culture and language of her homeland from her parents. Her parents came here not knowing anything about our country but the managed, didn't they?

The fact that we have Americans citizens on the dole and there are plenty more on the left that but and it doesn't change the fact that we have immigration laws either. We have plenty of willing Americans to do most any job for a fair wage in this country. Stop being an emotional, bleeding heart liberal and understand why we have immigration laws and why we have to enforce them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies