Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2020, 03:09 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,729,827 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
What is President Bozo doing here?

Country going to hell and he tweets. What a moron.
He's in quite the interesting situation here. For starters, state and local governments are supposed to actually enforce the law. They aren't. They're letting these little Communist bastards run around murdering, raping, destroying and wreaking havoc, but keep insisting that they're just "peaceful protesters." Now Trump can exercise the Insurrection Act and deal with the problem, but if he does that the Left will start shrieking about how he's a dictator, mad with power, sending invading and occupying armies into the cities and towns in question.

They already did it. There is a federal courthouse in Portland. The Communist Terrorists of BLM and Antifa have been trying to burn it down for about a month now. Federal marshals have been violently attacked on multiple occasions. One of the marshals shot one of the terrorists in the head with a non-lethal round. The mayor of Portland lost his damn mind, calling the marshals -- who are just federal law enforcement agents defending federal property -- an occupying army. The mayor appears to be incapable of ending the ongoing assault on the courthouse, but he insists that the marshals must stay inside their building or leave his city.

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news...ds-stay-insid/

What is the right thing to do in such a situation? Send in the troops, or let Portland's mayor, who insists he's got everything under control, handle everything?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2020, 03:13 PM

8,060 posts, read 3,941,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
Two attorneys in St. Louis who brandished firearms at Black Lives Matter protesters over the weekend could be charged with a felony.
Under Section 571.030(4) of the Revised Statutes of Missouri, it is a crime when a person “[e]xhibits, in the presence of one or more persons, any weapon readily capable of lethal use in an angry or threatening manner.” Such a person “commits the offense of unlawful use of weapons,” which is defined as a class E felony. Such felonies carry up to four years in prison, one year in jail, and/or a $10,000 fine–but are subject to probation
https://lawandcrime.com/george-floyd...ers-with-guns/

And these two idiots are lawyers?

571.030:“ Subdivisions (3), (4), (5), (6), (7), (8), (9), and (10) of subsection 1 of this section shall not apply to persons who are engaged in a lawful act of defense pursuant to section 563.031.”

Old 07-15-2020, 03:24 PM

14,458 posts, read 12,081,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
What is known is that none of the protesters displayed or brandished a firearm. So your argument that the couple that were brandishing firearms were "standing their ground" is a crock. And the gal even had her trigger finger inside the trigger guard, which all responsible gun owners know is a violation of the safety rule "never place your finger inside the trigger guard or on the trigger unless you intend to fire the weapon". So the gal was ignorant of the most basic rules of safe gun handling, yet there she was waving her little .380 around in a threatening manner with her finger inside the trigger guard.

They were literally, standing on their ground. And if any of the protesters thought the homeowners seemed dangerous, all they had to do was leave. There is absolutely no evidence the couple in question was a danger to anyone who was not on their property.

I might have some advice for them if they were in a defensive tactics class, but there's no WAY I would convict them of any crime for what they did.

They're the reason for jury trials! And the reason I would never try to get out of jury duty.

Old 07-15-2020, 03:42 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,335,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
They were literally, standing on their ground. And if any of the protesters thought the homeowners seemed dangerous, all they had to do was leave. There is absolutely no evidence the couple in question was a danger to anyone who was not on their property.

I might have some advice for them if they were in a defensive tactics class, but there's no WAY I would convict them of any crime for what they did.

They're the reason for jury trials! And the reason I would never try to get out of jury duty.
The couple was standing on their ground but using a fire arm to threaten other people who were not on their property. And that is a felony.

My bet would be that they get charged. However I would not be surprised if they were found not guilty. I think it will be very hard to find any jury of 12 that will not have one or two who side with the couple. They might possibly get found guilty of some lesser charge but I would bet they beat the felony.

We will see.

Old 07-15-2020, 03:47 PM

16,269 posts, read 10,395,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
He's in quite the interesting situation here. For starters, state and local governments are supposed to actually enforce the law. They aren't. They're letting these little Communist bastards run around murdering, raping, destroying and wreaking havoc, but keep insisting that they're just "peaceful protesters." Now Trump can exercise the Insurrection Act and deal with the problem, but if he does that the Left will start shrieking about how he's a dictator, mad with power, sending invading and occupying armies into the cities and towns in question.

They already did it. There is a federal courthouse in Portland. The Communist Terrorists of BLM and Antifa have been trying to burn it down for about a month now. Federal marshals have been violently attacked on multiple occasions. One of the marshals shot one of the terrorists in the head with a non-lethal round. The mayor of Portland lost his damn mind, calling the marshals -- who are just federal law enforcement agents defending federal property -- an occupying army. The mayor appears to be incapable of ending the ongoing assault on the courthouse, but he insists that the marshals must stay inside their building or leave his city.

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news...ds-stay-insid/

What is the right thing to do in such a situation? Send in the troops, or let Portland's mayor, who insists he's got everything under control, handle everything?
I see we have another poster who struggles to understand the difference between a protester and a rioter. There is absolutely no indication, none, that would indicate this group murdered or raped anybody. So you need to stop lumping them in with the group of rioters.

Old 07-15-2020, 04:43 PM

14,215 posts, read 4,586,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
I see we have another poster who struggles to understand the difference between a protester and a rioter. There is absolutely no indication, none, that would indicate this group murdered or raped anybody. So you need to stop lumping them in with the group of rioters.
Same logic applies for 1,000,000 cops in america?

Old 07-15-2020, 05:28 PM

16,352 posts, read 8,088,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
The couple was standing on their ground but using a fire arm to threaten other people who were not on their property. And that is a felony.

My bet would be that they get charged. However I would not be surprised if they were found not guilty. I think it will be very hard to find any jury of 12 that will not have one or two who side with the couple. They might possibly get found guilty of some lesser charge but I would bet they beat the felony.

We will see.
^This is probably right. The wife may be charged with brandishing and then have the charge dismissed or lowered to something like disturbing the peace. Maybe pay a small fine, no jail time.

Old 07-16-2020, 05:45 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,368,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post

The wife was, literally, pointing a gun at the protesters who apparently had done nothing worse than walk down a private street/sidewalk at that point.

Brandishing is a Class E felony in MO, BTW.

We also now know that the couple has a history of flashing their firearms over relatively minor disputes, too. A pattern emerges....

Old 07-16-2020, 06:04 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,363,451 times
If they were sitting in lounge chairs with shotguns visible ---not pointed and being waved...
I wonder what woulda happened along with a clear a sign - Do not trespass.
Calm heads on tape make a difference to a judge.

" Missouri's law is more extensive than those of other states because it allows you
to use deadly force to attack an intruder to protect any private property that you own,
in addition to yourself or another individual.
Oct 10, 2018"

Old 07-16-2020, 06:23 AM

13,242 posts, read 4,919,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
If they were sitting in lounge chairs with shotguns visible ---not pointed and being waved...
I wonder what woulda happened along with a clear a sign - Do not trespass.
Calm heads on tape make a difference to a judge.

" Missouri's law is more extensive than those of other states because it allows you
to use deadly force to attack an intruder to protect any private property that you own,
in addition to yourself or another individual.
Oct 10, 2018"
The investigation into this incident is ongoing. From an earlier piece:

Quote:
Another video shared on Twitter that has now been made unavailable showed Patty McCloskey holding her gun straight at passing protesters, one wearing a T-shirt that read, “Hands up, don’t shoot.”
Quote:
In videos on Sunday, the McCloskeys could be seen outside their million-dollar home with guns. While holding a rifle, Mark McCloskey can be heard yelling to the crowd, “Private property! Get out! Private property, get out!” Patricia McCloskey, holding a handgun, also yelled at the protesters. One person in the protest can be heard yelling back, “Calm down,” as others tell the group to keep moving and not engage with the couple. Another person can be heard saying, “Then call the f—— cops, you idiot!” and “It’s a public street.” The area where the McCloskeys live does have signs saying it is a private street. But it is not clear if Missouri law allows them to point guns at people for entering into the area.
https://heavy.com/news/2020/06/mark-...le-guns-video/

It's likely the McCloskeys have video also however not likely it will be made available to the public.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies