Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2020, 02:47 PM

10,743 posts, read 5,668,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
Goes to the mindset of these people. Standing out in their yard brandishing weapons in a threatening manner. I'm a gun owner and a 2nd amendment supporter but I don't like to see firearms handled in an irresponsible (and flagrantly unsafe) manner. Why give the anti-gunners ammunition, so to speak.
I agree, their weapons handling and tactics were horrible. But I don’t believe that nullifies their right to defend themselves and their property.

I believe that their mindset is the result of the totality of the circumstances in which they found themselves. And I believe that their fears were perfectly justifiable, given the totality of the circumstances.

It’s been pointed out multiple times already, but I believe it bears repeating: they don’t have to be 100% correct, they only have to be reasonable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2020, 03:01 PM

16,352 posts, read 8,094,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
I agree, their weapons handling and tactics were horrible. But I don’t believe that nullifies their right to defend themselves and their property.

I believe that their mindset is the result of the totality of the circumstances in which they found themselves. And I believe that their fears were perfectly justifiable, given the totality of the circumstances.

It’s been pointed out multiple times already, but I believe it bears repeating: they don’t have to be 100% correct, they only have to be reasonable.
What if one of the protesters did have a gun and opened fire when Mrs. McCloskey pointed her little .380 at them. Regardless of who was responsible for instigating a shootout it could have resulted in a bloodbath. The McCloskeys would have been safer had they stayed within the four walls of their residence ready to shoot if there were a forced entry into their house, and there would have been much less of a chance of a shootout occurring. I'm a strong believer in Castle Doctrine and would have supported the McCloskeys 100% had they been inside their home and opened fire as someone broke through their front door. But standing out there in their yard brandishing their weapons was reckless and idiotic.

Old 07-17-2020, 03:26 PM

14,228 posts, read 4,592,230 times
Quote:
What if one of the protesters did have a gun and opened fire when Mrs. McCloskey pointed her little .380 at them. Regardless of who was responsible for instigating a shootout it could have resulted in a bloodbath. The McCloskeys would have been safer had they stayed within the four walls of their residence ready to shoot if there were a forced entry into their house, and there would have been much less of a chance of a shootout occurring. I'm a strong believer in Castle Doctrine and would have supported the McCloskeys 100% had they been inside their home and opened fire as someone broke through their front door. But standing out there in their yard brandishing their weapons was reckless and idiotic.
I was born & raised in LA. I was only a kid during the LA Riot in the 90s when Korean Rooftops defended their stores in Koreatown with firearms against looters and rioters. No charges were filed against the Korean Rooftops. Korean Rooftops are being looked at as some kind of legend around here.

Mind you this is liberal LA in liberal Califonia with strict gun control law. Not liberal St Louis in gun-slinging conservative Missouri

Old 07-17-2020, 03:34 PM

https://youtu.be/DBcYaR4M_w8

Old 07-17-2020, 03:40 PM

10,743 posts, read 5,668,616 times
Quote:
Again, I’m not now, nor have I ever, argued that their gun handling and tactics were sound.

89,006 posts, read 44,813,405 times
Quote:
MO law allows for the armed defense of one's property. It is not limited to just inside one's home.

7,520 posts, read 2,808,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Gate was open. No apparent damage. And even if there was hidden damage there is no evidence it was done by the protesters.

Engineers think through things. You should try it.
LOL. I thought you were a real estate broker? Jack of all trades and master of none apparently.

Old 07-17-2020, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwood66 View Post
LOL. I thought you were a real estate broker? Jack of all trades and master of none apparently.
Also a subject matter expert in digital cartography but couldn't figure out google map

Old 07-17-2020, 03:53 PM

89,006 posts, read 44,813,405 times
Quote:
He claims he's an EE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
I am an EE and was the Engineering VP for a Fortune 50 Company for half a decade before I retired. Ran large engineering organization for a couple of decades before that.

Old 07-17-2020, 03:55 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,347,290 times
Quote:
35 years doing engineering and physics and running big engineering organizations. 20 years as a RE Broker/Salesman which my wife and I continue to do because it keeps life interesting.

And I mastered both. Also learned early on to suffer fools. So I feel pretty comfortable on CD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies