Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2020, 12:52 PM

7,510 posts, read 4,351,558 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
If that group was that violent with murderous intentions, those two would not have survived going out there guns or not. So it was stupid. It reminds me of the fantasy that some people have that they can self protect individually in a total societal breakdown if they prep. It doesn't work that way unless you also have a fully armed large group and even then the aggressor group might get better weapons.

That group did not expect those two to use the guns, they know they have too much to lose and they know they didn't do anything worse than trespassing on a private road.
I guess the McCloskey's succeeded in protecting themselves and their property didn't they? How do you know what that mobs intentions were? Were you there to ask them? The McCloskey's didn't either, they were forced to take whatever steps necessary to protect themselves and their property. Fortunately they were armed. Obviously the mob didn't expect to be confronted by two armed individuals. God only knows what they may have done if they weren't confronted by them.

If you were in a mob of let's say 100 people and someone was holding a semi automatic rifle against the mob. Would you be the first one to step forward and advance them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2020, 01:13 PM

59,022 posts, read 27,290,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
I should have been more specific. Violence has accompanied recent protests in St. Louis, which I thought would be understood, since we are discussing St. Louis.
"Violence has accompanied recent protests in St. Louis," AND D.C., NYC, AND several other dem run cities.

Old 07-20-2020, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
This whole issue has become quite surreal. I never thought I’d see a time where it would become mainstream to excuse a criminal mob while at the same time excoriating, as well as trying to criminally charge, law abiding citizens for taking steps to defend themselves and their property against the mob.

It’s like some crazy virtue signaling run amok. Too bad it isn’t understood that it’s simply akin to appeasing the Lion, in hopes that he eats you last.
Unfortunately that's where we're at in this country. We've just got to hope and pray that someday these self proclaimed social justice warriors find themselves in that same situation. Inviting the mob in to discuss their intentions over a cup of latte certainly isn't going to work. Once you appease the mob they'll only demand more. Right from the beginning they should have brought out the water cannons like they used to do. Instead these Democrat mayors and city council members handed the keys to the city over to the mob.

It's getting to the point in this country that those who work hard and play by the rules are the one's who end up getting screwed. I just hope to Christ this serves as a wake up call that we're not gonna' stand for this anymore and vote against every Democrat that's on the ballot come November. However there's no hope left for America's major cities most of which have been under the Democrat's control for decades. What we're witnessing now is the Democrat's plan for the entire country. May God help us all.

Old 07-20-2020, 01:16 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,250,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"Violence has accompanied recent protests in St. Louis," AND D.C., NYC, AND several other dem run cities.
But this discussion is not about those, just St. Louis.

Old 07-20-2020, 01:26 PM

19,621 posts, read 12,218,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex New Yorker View Post
I guess the McCloskey's succeeded in protecting themselves and their property didn't they? How do you know what that mobs intentions were? Were you there to ask them? The McCloskey's didn't either, they were forced to take whatever steps necessary to protect themselves and their property. Fortunately they were armed. Obviously the mob didn't expect to be confronted by two armed individuals. God only knows what they may have done if they weren't confronted by them.

If you were in a mob of let's say 100 people and someone was holding a semi automatic rifle against the mob. Would you be the first one to step forward and advance them?
Right, the group of supposedly, hundreds of violent killers and arsonists was so scared of the barefoot old man in the pink shirt and dockers and the goofy blonde waving the silver pistol at pink shirt.

They didn't save anything. The group didn't turn back and leave in fear, they stopped, yelled back and kept walking further into the forbidden zone, to go where they were going.

The McCloskeys are nuts and possibly sociopaths. Their history of doing sleazy skeevy things for petty reasons and behaving like entitled tyrants is legend.

Old 07-20-2020, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Right, the group of supposedly, hundreds of violent killers and arsonists was so scared of the barefoot old man in the pink shirt and dockers and the goofy blonde waving the silver pistol at pink shirt.

They didn't save anything. The group didn't turn back and leave in fear, they stopped, yelled back and kept walking further into the forbidden zone, to go where they were going.

The McCloskeys are nuts and possibly sociopaths. Their history of doing sleazy skeevy things for petty reasons and behaving like entitled tyrants is legend.
Like it or not the bottom line is that the McCloskey's came out of this alive with their home and property intact. I'd say that they saved something. Regardless of what your misguided opinions are. You certainly know an awful lot for an individual that was not even there? Has anyone called you as a material witness since you know so much? What concrete proof do you have to back up your claims other than what the media allowed you to see and hear on the news?

What are you now a psychiatrist that can make a determination of whether someone is nuts and possibly a sociopath or not without even examining them? I hope that happens to you some day, you deserve it. Even if these people did "sleazy skeevy things for petty reasons" as you claim. What they may have done in the past has no relevance to the situation they found themselves in. If you were promiscuous when you were young and later on raped. Would it be fair to use that against you and let the rapist walk free?

We still have this little thing called "due process of law". Where a court of law will determine whether someone is guilty or not. It's there to protect people from people like you who make accusations about people that they don't even know. Or from people who make claims based on the opinions of others. Which is exactly what you have done. Unless of course you personally know the McCloskey's, witnessed their behavior, have irrefutable proof and filed charges against them. Which I seriously doubt that you do.

But you still can't answer my simple yes or no question: "How do you know what that mobs intentions were? Were you there to ask them?"

Last edited by Ex New Yorker; 07-20-2020 at 03:23 PM..

Old 07-20-2020, 04:50 PM

37,173 posts, read 19,189,687 times
Thew McCloskeys have been charged with a felony.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/st-louis-...205432913.html

Old 07-20-2020, 05:06 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,344,025 times
Well the shoe finally dropped. My projection is and remains that the pair will not be convicted though the majority of the jury will vote to convict. One or two holdouts will prevent a guilty verdict.

Then we will have the fun times as to whether to try them again...

And to all the experts on the law here note how many of the protesters have been charged with trespass. So it appears many of you are not nearly as knowledgeable as you think you are...

Old 07-20-2020, 05:57 PM

24,618 posts, read 9,449,501 times
They will either be proven innocent, charges get dropped, or be pardoned.

They're literally two attorney with clean records.

And lets be clear, the woman was the one pointing the gun at protesters, not the man (based on my recollection).

Old 07-20-2020, 06:30 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,593,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
They will either be proven innocent, charges get dropped, or be pardoned.

They're literally two attorney with clean records.

And lets be clear, the woman was the one pointing the gun at protesters, not the man (based on my recollection).
Maybe this will remind you:

https://imgur.com/HtyGRpc
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies