Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2020, 11:51 AM

5,281 posts, read 6,585,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
How can we not? You said that the government is censoring economic development in poor black communities, and I pointed out that Trump instituted the Opportunity Zones program. It refutes your point. Should I just say "government instituted Opportunity Zones" and NOT mention Trump, since perhaps it shows he is doing something to help blacks?

(Plus, you DID post in politics. If you want to keep politics out of it, you should DM a moderator and ask her to move this thread to Great Debates.)

I don't care about Trump

Plus you brought up opportunity zones, not me. My OP was about the war on drugs and automation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2020, 11:53 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,851,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
Seem that now the pressing issue is black on black crime. And this unfortunately tells us how we're creatures of the moment. Pretending that black on black crime will always be an issue, while in reality it's a problem that will eventually solve itself. There was a time when the mafia had an insane amount of power, and was hyper violent. Today mafia violence is virtually unheard of. To the point where talks about it is basically modern American folklore.

Why and how does black on black crime exist?

We must first ask ourselves the foundation of black on black crime. The reasons are layered but it comes down to one thing. Perverse economic incentives. Meaning that there are economic incentives to keep this going on. And the reward in these communities is worth the risk.

First we must talk about economic censorship. The government has played an active role in censoring economic activity in the black community. So its virtually impossible to start small business there. Because banks won't loan to normal black people. But it does make lots of loans to foreigners. So black people don't really have economic control in these areas. This was fallout after the US government decided to run freeways through most black neighborhoods. Essentially killing black owned businesses overnight.

With economic censorship. We now get to the heart of these perverse incentives. The War On Drugs. Or we can can call this the Cradle To Prison pipeline.

The war on drugs was targeted towards black communities. This was to feed more blacks into the prison system. This leads to cheap labor for various manufacturers. And now this becomes a very good supply chain for the US economy.

So how will the issue be solved?

As we move deeper into the 21st century. We are seeing e en greater refinements to manufacturing. And as a result, AI and robots will soon replace cheap labor. The cradle to prison pipeline has less reason to really exist. And the War On Drugs will serve little purpose.

We are seeing it now, as more people are being pardoned. And law enforcement towards drugs is being relaxed. We will eventually see the legalization of all drugs. And a massive reduction of the black prison population.

However with drugs legalized, there is little perverse incentives. And with most new businesses being driven online, then more black people will be able to start businesses for cheaper. I also think with our national debt our banking system will become more lax. And probably remove restriction towards funding black owned businesses. This is due to the rising pressure from cryptocurrencies.

So in conclusion. Let's not be prisoners of the moment. Let's talk about the future not the present.
Crime exists because those who commit the crime, overwhelmingly are not raised properly. Single parent families have the highest percentage of problem children by far. Not a majority are bad but that is where the problem is. That's where it starts, at birth.

Until we get rid of the welfare state which encourages couples to not stay together and raise their children nothing will be solved. Don't incentivize people to not work.

Old 07-11-2020, 11:54 AM

25,118 posts, read 16,198,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
I am addressing the problem. It's more than economics. It's family structure. That structure is more likely to hold together when economic times get tough. Kids are much less likely to turn to drugs and other criminal activity with a father and mother in the home.

If there is no man in the home, and a boy needs a male example, the street is waiting and willing to take him in to their system.

I am not denying economics play a role - I just think family structure is more important.

Listen to some of the stats presented here from 1995 - starts at 1:18 in the video.

https://twitter.com/SFY/status/1278064470435090438
perhaps the question is ... how are economics affecting the family structure (is there some horrible disincentive?), o how is the family structure affecting economics?

I think we all can find "negative reactions that really do happen more frequently in single parent homes" or perhaps I should say benefits of 2 v 1. I don't know of ANY benefits of single-parent over two-parent, unless the 2nd parent is abusive to children or the other parent.

Old 07-11-2020, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
What is your experience with capital and bank lending?

Do you know what the Community Reinvestment Act requires of banks? Nevermind the recent monitoring upheaval?
Yes. Banks are a big problem. They don't compete in the real market. And they don't really have competition. They've been considered too big to fail. So nothing they do will ever result in anything negative. The government will always save them.

They're effectively not private actors. They're only a few layers from basically being subsidized institutions.

I think we need to end the FED and have true currency competition. I actually think cryptocurrencies is something that could save most black communities. It can infuse these communities with capital without dealing with banks.

Old 07-11-2020, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Crime exists because those who commit the crime, overwhelmingly are not raised properly. Single parent families have the highest percentage of problem children by far. Not a majority are bad but that is where the problem is. That's where it starts, at birth.

Until we get rid of the welfare state which encourages couples to not stay together and raise their children nothing will be solved. Don't incentivize people to not work.
The War On Drugs must also go away. Neither do these communities any good

Old 07-11-2020, 11:57 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,497,447 times
Quote:
Government programs do not help. And I'm talking about economic censorship from 60 years ago. Like the construction of the freeway system killed many black businesses back then. And also occupational licensing, which creates fake hurdles for black businesses. Making it impossible to start a business without a huge loan. In which black people are categorically denied

There is very little economic recourse but to get money illegally. Or leave the ghetto. But there exist no vehicles for wealth creation within these communities. Hence the remain poor.

Ending the War On Drugs would have far better economic impact than just yet another government program. Government doesn't lift people out of poverty. It keeps people poor. Whether the incentive comes from Republicans or Democrats. People only succeed when government goes away
So, on one hand you are blaming the government for "censoring" economic activity in black neighborhoods, and on the other, you are claiming government programs don't help. So why don't we just get rid of affirmative action, then, since it doesn't help? I worked in the admissions field for several years, and I know for a fact that if standards were applied equally, only about 30% of the black students accepted WOULD have been accepted, and the population of the URM (under-represented minorities) would drop to around 5%.

Your second statement....WOW! There's no way to get money but to steal it?? My parents grew up very poor, in the Depression and its aftermath, and I guarantee you that they never stole a thing. Rather, they took advantage of a government program (happened to be a city program) that helped poor but high-achieving kids get a college education.

So what's your answer? You say that government programs don't help. You honestly think that by legalizing heroin and having everyone a junkie, incapable of holding down a job, along with mothers with children and no husband, all the problems will be solved? To the contrary, blacks in poor neighborhoods will be even MORE dependent on government largesse and even less likely to escape poverty.

Since you like solutions, here it is. Three steps:

1) Finish high school. Take a financial literacy class, which should be required for all HS grads.
2) No babies prior to marriage, and then only once a husband-and-wife earns a combined $40,000 minimum.
3) Get a Pell Grant to pay for a trade school or community college. (Take a bus if need be.)

Old 07-11-2020, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
So, on one hand you are blaming the government for "censoring" economic activity in black neighborhoods, and on the other, you are claiming government programs don't help. So why don't we just get rid of affirmative action, then, since it doesn't help? I worked in the admissions field for several years, and I know for a fact that if standards were applied equally, only about 30% of the black students accepted WOULD have been accepted, and the population of the URM (under-represented minorities) would drop to around 5%.

Your second statement....WOW! There's no way to get money but to steal it?? My parents grew up very poor, in the Depression and its aftermath, and I guarantee you that they never stole a thing. Rather, they took advantage of a government program (happened to be a city program) that helped poor but high-achieving kids get a college education.

So what's your answer? You say that government programs don't help. You honestly think that by legalizing heroin and having everyone a junkie, incapable of holding down a job, along with mothers with children and no husband, all the problems will be solved? To the contrary, blacks in poor neighborhoods will be even MORE dependent on government largesse and even less likely to escape poverty.

Since you like solutions, here it is. Three steps:

1) Finish high school. Take a financial literacy class, which should be required for all HS grads.
2) No babies prior to marriage, and then only once a husband-and-wife earns a combined $40,000 minimum.
3) Get a Pell Grant to pay for a trade school or community college. (Take a bus if need be.)
Why are we talking about affirmative action? I dont support affirmative action at all. I just want you to stay on topic

Old 07-11-2020, 11:59 AM

Quote:
I don't care about Trump

Plus you brought up opportunity zones, not me. My OP was about the war on drugs and automation
NO, your OP said that government "censors" economic development in black areas, as if to say that government is actively holding back people from starting businesses there. I introduced the Opportunity Zones as an example that shows that you are wrong, and that government - at least now, under Trump - has a program en force to actively ENCOURAGE such development.

Old 07-11-2020, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Why are we talking about affirmative action? I dont support affirmative action at all. I just want you to stay on topic
I AM staying on topic. You just claimed that "government programs don't help," and I named one that does - and a LOT.

It seems you want to make a statement, and then if I respond with a specific example showing you that your statement is wrong, you claim I'm going off topic. I am merely showing you that your statement is wrong, and backing it up with a fact.

Unless you just want people to take at face value what you claim, agree with it all, and then move on to solutions? Can't do that when what you claim isn't accurate.

Old 07-11-2020, 12:06 PM

25,118 posts, read 16,198,148 times
Quote:
Can we not talk about Trump. This discussion goes beyond the current sitting president. We're talking economics here.
I have to ask, based upon your posts up to this point ... what is your background in economics or business?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies