Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2020, 03:37 PM

31,340 posts, read 14,265,634 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
I defy you to find 1 person in Washington DC who would be more likely to stop the wreckless spending.

Thomas Massie is another, but he doesn't have the name recognition of Rand Paul, so he's #2.

These are the only 2 Congressman in Washington DC out of 535, to vote NO to all the Covid-19 "stimulus" spending.

If you put EVERY other issue aside, & put 100% of your vote into stopping the wreckless spending, there is no better choice.

Why should you put every other issue aside?

Because in the next 4.5 yrs, interest payments on our national debt will overtake defense spending. Interest will threaten national security.

Also, interest was $600B in 2019. We spent $1,044B on Social Security in 2019. Interest is growing faster. Interest will threaten SS.

By the end of this decade, interest on the debt will eclipse social security spending too.

To put it another way, in 2029 if we had no interest, we could DOUBLE all SSecurity payments, so people could live off SS (in many places).

Rand Paul & Thomas Massie would have 533 Congresspersons fighting them every step of the way, so some of them must go too.

How, and/or where to cut the budget is another topic. Please start another thread to discuss that.

This topic is about putting spending 1st, & finding the best leader to make it so.

Too late. Way, way too late. Decades too late.

1992 - Ross Perot was your man.

By now the debt has gotten too large, and it will never be fixed. We'll either inflate our way out of it, or it will ruin us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2020, 05:14 PM

18,802 posts, read 8,471,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
That is fine until the dollar is no longer the safe haven. And between the virus, poor economy, protests and turmoil and the sorry two choice for POTUS that could be sooner than we think.
There is no other currency nearly as safe or as large to replace the USD in the world. Nothing close as I've already been saying for a generation. And the Yuan has barely moved.

Old 07-12-2020, 06:11 PM

25,737 posts, read 12,815,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggerung View Post
But OP, debts and deficits don't matter! We can keep running them up with no consequences whatsoever, can't we?
That is what most people think who don't understand macroeconomics. For every dollar of monopoly money we print, the rest of the money in circulation is worth a wee bit less.

What is Monopoly money? Its also called fiat money. Our money is no longer 100% backed by gold, probably not 50% backed...I'm not sure...maybe 5% backed. That is why Ron Paul and Rand want the Fed audited, and Fort Knox too. When money is not backed by a tangible asset, its fiat money...based upon a promise to pay the bearer. Our promise to pay any bearer today is weaker than Obama's promise of keeping your doctors & plans, and healthcare costing less.

I read a few years ago that a Dollar is really worth 30 cents, and that was before we racked up $30T in debt.

Fewer are willing to buy our debt today, with interest rates being so low, and the return being better in stocks, real estate, & commodities. Why do you think huge corporations are buying thousands of rental properties? Rental properties are a PainInThaAzz, but its their only way to get a decent return on their investment.

Anyways, I've already lost nearly every reader of this post, so let me close by saying we are all so scrued right now, you wouldn't believe it, if you knew, what I know.

Every other topic discussed would have the weight of a grain of sand. Covid-19, racism, Dems vs. Pubs...not even worthy distractions from what hangs over us all.

Last edited by beach43ofus; 07-12-2020 at 07:17 PM..

Old 07-12-2020, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
Of course they do.

They corral in the thoughts and gold standard minds of a good portion of our voters. So we have a much harder time in meeting the needs of our people.

With modern money deficits and debt matter less. Any debt or interest can be paid as long as it is denominated in the USD.

Inflation is the worry, not national bankruptcy.
Actually, deflation is the worry...our Dollar is worth nomore than 30 cents already I read a while back.

Old 07-12-2020, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
Rand Paul is another republican weirdo. They all act like they care about the debt until their party is in office.. look how your dear leader (Trump) spends. He has taken advantage of taxpayers since he’s been in office and golfs twice as much as Obama ever did.
The topic is not Trump...he's a lost cause...they all are except the pretend Republican weirdo. Einstein was a weirdo, so was Steve Jobs, and so is Bill Gates. Have you seen what Elon Musk named his kid?

Rand isn't a Republican, he's hiding out in the Republican party, but they hate him. He's trying a different route than his Dad took, w/o much better results...thus far. He's an outcast.

If you think president's golfing matters, I probably can't help you to comprehend what is at stake, but I'm not giving up on you though. Rand Paul needs 100,000,000 votes, and right now he has about 6. You'd be 7.

To help you focus on the magnitude of this, close your eyes, & pretend Washington DC was swallowed up by a huge sinkhole, and no politicians survived. No more Red vs. Blue.

Once you can get to that point, you can begin to think about where we are really at. Then start reading about the debt, and the budget, an the experts projections. Imagine a sinkhole so large, it swallows up every dollar America has, or can borrow.

Now you have a grasp of the interest on our debt. This problem makes Red vs. Blue look like a playground tussle.

Old 07-12-2020, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justus978 View Post
...sorry folks..but to think there's anyone out there in politics that is going to right all the wrongs, pay all the debt, be the champion of whatever inequities you want fixed, make all things good again, you are incredibly naive...but ...if it gives you comfort, by all means continue to look for such a 'savior'...
I already found the savior, the problem is I'm a million votes light.

I've got mine, so I can weather nearly anything that comes along, but 98% of Americans can't.

I prefer not to be stuck with the top 2% for eternity.

Old 07-12-2020, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Rand Paul is an evil sociopath.

So there's that to consider.
Howso? Please elaborate, and provide links.

He's a bit odd, but he's a fine family man, and follows our laws. His income is the lowest of all 535 congressman, because he won't take bribes, or kickbacks.

Please dig up some real verifiable dirt on him, and get back to us....with links.

Tell me who you think is more honest, more law abiding, and has a better proven track record of fiscal responsibility in Washington DC than Rand Paul.

We'll be here waiting on you.

Old 07-12-2020, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
I agree that the deficit is our biggest problem, long-term. I also agree that Rand Paul is one of very few in Congress who seems to want to do anything about it. He's not my favorite politician, but would be miles better than our current POTUS.

I don't think anyone is going to win by write-in. You should have nominated him in 2016.

Tha path to deficit reduction was laid out by the Simpson-Bowles Commission in 2010. That plan included $2 of spending cuts for every $1 in revenue increases. Lower tax rates and broaden the tax base by eliminating loopholes. Raise the Social Security retirement age and remove the income cap on the payroll tax. Reduce farm subsidies. Move to the Chained CPI for inflation adjusted benefits. The Simpson-Bowles plan went nowhere.
Of course it went nowhere. The public is grossly misinformed (by design) of the mainstream media, and politicians who dummy down the schools.

Most American don't give a flying leap about our impending fiscal doom because thy've heard about it their entire lives, and think people like me are crying wolf.

How to convince them this time its real? Well, 3-4 more years will take care of that. It cannot be hidden any longer than that.

Do the math, read the experts. Research the interest on the debt trends. Don't believe me.

Old 07-12-2020, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Yep. I wrote him in 2016.

You?
No, I didnt. I voted for him in a primary, and sent him money. I get his incessant emails as a result...ugh! I won't send any poltiician money again after I learned what happens to it frona friend who ran for Congress.

Bad stuff is going to start happening soon. Rand needs to tell people so when things start to happen, he'll gain traction. The Dollar being seriously questioned as the world's leading monetary currency will be the first shoe to drop. That will be a fight for our lives when it gains momentum.

Old 07-12-2020, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurider2002 View Post
Rand Paul is a despicable POS. Surprised his neighbor is the only person who has assaulted him.
Please elaborate. Your lack of details has me perplexed. Please do tell, and provide adequate documentation. At the moment, your words are looking a bit empty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies