Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2020, 05:53 PM

11,240 posts, read 11,015,248 times

Advertisements

Everything is being monitored. Any high tech device or media you bring into your house is a new vehicle for intrusion into your personal life. Your phone is a virtual tracking device as well. I dropped my wife off in front of Costco the other morning to meet a friend and then I continued on with my day. I get to my next stop and my phone wants me to complete a survey on how my Costco experience went. Twenty years ago this would have been considered creepy as hell, but now it is considered the norm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2020, 06:28 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,595,087 times
I'm not on Facebook but I've noticed that with my iPhone.

Do you think it's a coincidence that the Pentagon had a project going exactly like Facebook but decided to announce they were closing it on the same day Facebook launched?

Old 07-12-2020, 06:32 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,746,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
If you are not taking active steps with browser ad ons and such to block ads, JavaScript, cookies, etc an ad profile is being built on you whether you have an account or not.
I have UBlock which blocks every ad under the sun. These slip by and I guess I need to learn how to block further. It's funny regular pages no ads. FB plenty of ads. They have some kind of nefarious intent with information.

Old 07-12-2020, 06:44 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,746,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkhmini View Post
Big Brother is watching you Wanna! Why I put tape over every camera in all electronics.
I tape my desktop and my laptop

Old 07-12-2020, 06:48 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 2 days ago)

35,607 posts, read 17,927,273 times
My iphone and apple desktop talk to each other, although I only plug my phone in occasionally, and that's only to download the pics from my phone to my photo file. I don't check email on my phone, for example, or use it to browse the internet.

I had a verbal conversation with someone in my home, we were discussing whether the store was Nordstrom or Nordstroms. So we said it a couple times, each way. I went to my laptop to look something up, and bam, there it was. A big Nordstrom ad in the margin.

Just two days ago I had a text conversation with a friend about Water Wigglers, which is this thing you put in your bird bath to keep the water moving so mosquito larvae can't survive. So we went back and forth, she was asking if I still had mine (no, it broke about 10 years ago) and she asked if there was anywhere else to buy them except Amazon. That text conversation was on my phone. Boom, went to facebook on my desktop and there was an ad for a Water Wiggler, the one Amazon sells. OH COME ON. There is NO WAY that was a coincidence.

Old 07-12-2020, 07:15 PM

20,955 posts, read 5,542,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
Everything is being monitored. Any high tech device or media you bring into your house is a new vehicle for intrusion into your personal life. Your phone is a virtual tracking device as well. I dropped my wife off in front of Costco the other morning to meet a friend and then I continued on with my day. I get to my next stop and my phone wants me to complete a survey on how my Costco experience went. Twenty years ago this would have been considered creepy as hell, but now it is considered the norm.

They can try to make it the norm, but it really is creepy as hell and will always be.

Old 07-12-2020, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
My iphone and apple desktop talk to each other, although I only plug my phone in occasionally, and that's only to download the pics from my phone to my photo file. I don't check email on my phone, for example, or use it to browse the internet.

I had a verbal conversation with someone in my home, we were discussing whether the store was Nordstrom or Nordstroms. So we said it a couple times, each way. I went to my laptop to look something up, and bam, there it was. A big Nordstrom ad in the margin.

Just two days ago I had a text conversation with a friend about Water Wigglers, which is this thing you put in your bird bath to keep the water moving so mosquito larvae can't survive. So we went back and forth, she was asking if I still had mine (no, it broke about 10 years ago) and she asked if there was anywhere else to buy them except Amazon. That text conversation was on my phone. Boom, went to facebook on my desktop and there was an ad for a Water Wiggler, the one Amazon sells. OH COME ON. There is NO WAY that was a coincidence.

This is why I will not carry a smart phone. I own an old flip phone but it isn't connected to the internet and I rarely carry it with me. You wouldn't believe how triggered folks in CD Land got when I said I don't carry a phone with me everywhere I go.

Old 07-12-2020, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
I'm not on Facebook but I've noticed that with my iPhone.

Do you think it's a coincidence that the Pentagon had a project going exactly like Facebook but decided to announce they were closing it on the same day Facebook launched?

Coincidence?

Old 07-12-2020, 07:36 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,595,087 times
Quote:
Coincidence?
Exactly. No coincidence, in my opinion.

Old 07-12-2020, 07:43 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 2 days ago)

35,607 posts, read 17,927,273 times
Quote:
This is why I will not carry a smart phone. I own an old flip phone but it isn't connected to the internet and I rarely carry it with me. You wouldn't believe how triggered folks in CD Land got when I said I don't carry a phone with me everywhere I go.
Like you, I was very reluctant to switch from my flip phone, that everyone would laugh at when I occasionally took it out because I also refused to carry it full time.

But. I had to take a trip out of state to be with an elderly family member, by myself, who was dying and needed decisions made through her dying process.

My husband bought an Iphone for me the day I left, and I can't believe this thing. It's like a swiss army knife. It can do ANYTHING. It would have been VERY difficult to get through that week without this phone. Every single thing I needed, this one little tool could do.

Voice direct me to my hotel. Voice direct me to the hospital. Tell me where is the nearest walgreens. Google Respite facilities in the area. Conference call my family. Take photos of stuff in the apartment and ask does anyone want this? Group text her friends to let them know she's going to Hospice. Take photos of people with her who come to visit her, and text them the photos.

Although I don't carry my iPhone everywhere, I can't believe what an excellent tool it is, if you need it. Life changer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies