Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2020, 05:35 AM

407 posts, read 122,195 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Lower cognitive ability linked to non-compliance with social distancing guidelines during the coronavirus outbreak

New research provides evidence that working memory is associated with engaging in social distancing in the early stages of the coronavirus pandemic. The new study has been published in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.

What's also interesting is that working memory will be less important when social norms of mask wearing and social distancing become norms. But, how long does that take?

“Realizing this cognitive bottleneck, the bottom line is that we should not rely on people’s habitual following of a norm because social distancing is not yet adequately established in U.S. society. Policy makers should develop strategies to aid people’s decision by making information or debriefing materials succinct, concise, and brief.”

As with all research, the study comes with a few caveats.
“We expect that the contribution of working memory will decline as new social norms, such as wearing a mask or socially distancing, are acquired by the U.S. society over time,” Xie said."

https://www.psypost.org/2020/07/covi...outbreak-57293

https://www.pnas.org/content/early/2.../09/2008868117
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2020, 05:43 AM

19,394 posts, read 6,451,961 times
IOW, dumb people come within inches of each other while there is a contagious virus working its way through the population.

Old 07-13-2020, 05:50 AM

35,410 posts, read 20,779,044 times
no-- its arrogance, hard heads, deniers and distrustful folks .

Old 07-13-2020, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
Most of the people bunching up are young people on the beach, the bar, and, in the greatest numbers of all, at protests and riots. I'd say it's naiveite, combined with a sense of invincibility, and a pinch of selfishness. (Well, more than a pinch.)

Old 07-13-2020, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
I would think cognitive ability comes into play with all of these characteristics.

Old 07-13-2020, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax_G View Post
I would think cognitive ability comes into play with all of these characteristics.
But again, most of the people ignoring social distancing are those in the late teens and 20s. Are you saying that our youth are dumber than those in middle-age and up? (You notice I'm not venturing my opinion about that.)

Old 07-13-2020, 06:10 AM

88,666 posts, read 44,404,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
But again, most of the people ignoring social distancing are those in the late teens and 20s. Are you saying that our youth are dumber than those in middle-age and up? (You notice I'm not venturing my opinion about that.)
There actually is evidence that it's true, for millennials, at least ...

Quote:
"This exam [OECD's PIAAC], given in 23 countries, assessed the thinking abilities and workplace skills of adults. It focused on literacy, math and technological problem-solving. The goal was to figure out how prepared people are to work in a complex, modern society. And U.S. millennials performed horribly...

But surely America’s brightest were on top?

Nope.

U.S. millennials with master’s degrees and doctorates did better than their peers in only three countries, Ireland, Poland and Spain...The ETS study noted that a decade ago the skill level of American adults was judged mediocre. “Now it is below even that.” So Millennials are falling even further behind.

Top-scoring US millennials – the 90th percentile on the PIAAC test – were at the bottom internationally, ranking higher only than their peers in Spain. The bottom scorers (10th percentile) also lagged behind their peers."
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...foreign-peers/

Old 07-13-2020, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
There actually is evidence that it's true, for millennials, at least ...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...foreign-peers/
Didn't they dumb down the scoring of the SAT to help disguise the dropping scores over the past couple of decades?

Old 07-13-2020, 06:13 AM

4,623 posts, read 1,914,342 times
Quote:
Most of the people bunching up are young people on the beach, the bar, and, in the greatest numbers of all, at protests and riots. I'd say it's naiveite, combined with a sense of invincibility, and a pinch of selfishness. (Well, more than a pinch.)
in other words most young people are dumb. I think most of us were guilty of it a time or two they are just playing with higher stakes today.

Old 07-13-2020, 06:14 AM

Quote:
I am not saying anything. These researchers are and the data is. I have my thoughts, though. Given that the human brain does not fully develop until the age of 25 I think maturity is certainly playing a role. But, adults? Like Trump? Sure cognitive ability is playing a role. It always does with everything and all the decisions we make. The same way it's playing a role for people who are unable to read the studies in the first place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies