Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2020, 01:18 PM

73,024 posts, read 62,622,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkingOutsideTheBox View Post
He says melanin gives the traits, which I have more of than him.
Perhaps, but I've noticed this. Some persons that I've heard of being "pro-Black" are often anti-non Black. When someone like him mentions melanin, he is really referring to people of African descent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2020, 01:23 PM

34,232 posts, read 18,584,601 times
Quote:
I am a dark skinned Indian with the same “melanin” as him but we Indians have neither Black privilege nor White privilege (except for maybe high SES) but if we started to separate by race, I’d be forced to either go back to India or live in an enclave with a large Indian population without freedom to go freely to mostly White areas. I don’t want that.
Well there is the Reservation.

Old 07-14-2020, 01:24 PM

I don't want racial separation. People from my parents generation fought against that, and I don't want it back. However, I do wonder about some people using Nick Cannon as an example of "this is why we need to separate. Blacks like him".

Old 07-14-2020, 02:14 PM

52,282 posts, read 52,700,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I don't want racial separation. People from my parents generation fought against that, and I don't want it back. However, I do wonder about some people using Nick Cannon as an example of "this is why we need to separate. Blacks like him".
I find that in real life things tend to be much more "calm" for lack of another term. The stuff you see in the media and in online forums tends to be exaggerated or not the standard norm. Most people in real life tend to get along. I don't see anything of this racial disharmony in real life. If you watch the news you'd think that there is a race war going on, not really that, but you see all of the "one offs" in the media. Never see the millions of interactions between people of all races that are fine, of course we see the crap in the media and it seems like things are worse than they really are.

For the most part average every day people aren't for going back the old days of separation, aside from the handfuls of loons here and there. It's not mainstream thinking, not at all. People just need to be polite and respectful of others and things will be ok.

My opinion, but whatever, maybe others see the world differently.

Old 07-14-2020, 02:15 PM

2,540 posts, read 1,034,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Well there is the Reservation.
I thought mentioning "either go back to India" in my post would have clarified that I'm the dot-type, not the feather (which disqualifies me from the Reservation).

Old 07-14-2020, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I find that in real life things tend to be much more "calm" for lack of another term. The stuff you see in the media and in online forums tends to be exaggerated or not the standard norm. Most people in real life tend to get along. I don't see anything of this racial disharmony in real life. If you watch the news you'd think that there is a race war going on, not really that, but you see all of the "one offs" in the media. Never see the millions of interactions between people of all races that are fine, of course we see the crap in the media and it seems like things are worse than they really are.

For the most part average every day people aren't for going back the old days of separation, aside from the handfuls of loons here and there. It's not mainstream thinking, not at all. People just need to be polite and respectful of others and things will be ok.

My opinion, but whatever, maybe others see the world differently.
I have no doubt that there are individuals who aren't segregationist. Being out in public seems calm. On the flip side, seeing the comments here on city-data, and this isn't the news, can make me wonder who is out there.

Old 07-14-2020, 02:30 PM

34,232 posts, read 18,584,601 times
Quote:
I thought mentioning "either go back to India" in my post would have clarified that I'm the dot-type, not the feather (which disqualifies me from the Reservation).
Thus the smiley I put next to it.

Old 07-14-2020, 03:48 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,210,859 times
Quote:
I was raised in the U.S. and this is my country. I've visited India and don't want to go live there. Too crowded and the culture is too narrow and judgy. My parents have been here since 1979.
There is going to be no black separatism so it is pointless to discuss. But I think the goal of any separatism is to create a country of people who actually get along with each other and who have shared values. Allowing them to cooperate and live more peacefully.

The United States is just a bunch of opportunists trying to use the power of government to their economic and social advantage. We're not countrymen, we're competitors. Those who are doing well don't want anything to change, while people who are doing less well want to burn everything down.

People increasingly don't trust their neighbors, if they know them at all. They largely hide away in their houses, with no sense of community.

Homogeneous countries are demonstrably better in every conceivable way.

Old 07-14-2020, 04:18 PM

14,483 posts, read 11,285,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoOnMyMind View Post
That is some straight up black supremacy talk there. Openly saying people without melanin are lesser people.

“the melanin that connects us so the people that don’t have it, are, and I’m going to say this carefully, are a little less “
They both are rationalizing and it comes from a place of an inferiority complex.

Old 07-14-2020, 05:14 PM

6,475 posts, read 4,076,574 times
Nick Cannon is really “Wildin’ Out” on that podcast. Even if its his guest spouting the tropes, he’s way to taciturn about it. He needed to speak up against what his guest was saying instead of outing himself and his own personal biases.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies