Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2020, 10:17 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,717,974 times

Advertisements

WOW, we all knew this to be true but now it's out in the open. My how the the New York Times has fallen

https://deadline.com/2020/07/new-yor...ing-1202985236
Bari Weiss Resigns From New York Times Decrying “Constant Bullying” Of Colleagues
  • “constant bullying by colleagues who disagree with my views”
  • “self-censorship has become the norm.”
  • “What rules that remain at The Times are applied with extreme selectivity,”
  • “If a person’s ideology is in keeping with the new orthodoxy, they and their work remain unscrutinized. Everyone else lives in fear of the digital thunderdome. Online venom is excused so long as it is directed at the proper targets.”
  • “my own forays into Wrongthink have made me the subject of constant bullying by colleagues who disagree with my views. They have called me a Nazi and a racist; I have learned to brush off comments about how I’m ‘writing about the Jews again.'”
  • “Several colleagues perceived to be friendly with me were badgered by coworkers. My work and my character are openly demeaned on company-wide Slack channels where masthead editors regularly weigh in"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2020, 10:22 AM

Full resignation letter:
https://www.bariweiss.com/resignation-letter

Twitter just completely went nuclear holocaust, this will have HUGE ripples in the world of media

Old 07-14-2020, 10:24 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 6 days ago)

35,627 posts, read 17,953,728 times
To be fair, the "staff editor and writer in the opinion section" of a newspaper should write views that represent the newspaper.

If her views don't represent the opinions of the paper, she should have been more than bullied - she should have been fired.

Old 07-14-2020, 10:27 AM

17,792 posts, read 13,687,653 times
Snowflake.

Old 07-14-2020, 10:28 AM

5,581 posts, read 2,306,661 times
First I ever heard of her.

Old 07-14-2020, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
To be fair, the "staff editor and writer in the opinion section" of a newspaper should write views that represent the newspaper.

If her views don't represent the opinions of the paper, she should have been more than bullied - she should have been fired.
So you're saying the Times is a leftist publication, as opposed to their public claim that they are centrist?

Fascinating.

Do you even know why Bari Weiss was hired?

After the Trump win all the left were utterly confused why they did not see it coming. The times admitted they may have had their heads in the sand, and so they made an effort to diversify viewpoints so she was hired to balance things out.

Turns out they don't want balance, color me shocked. Not.

Old 07-14-2020, 10:33 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,718,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
Full resignation letter:
https://www.bariweiss.com/resignation-letter

Twitter just completely went nuclear holocaust, this will have HUGE ripples in the world of media
I suppose that might be true if anyone had ever heard of Bari Weiss.

Old 07-14-2020, 10:39 AM

5,980 posts, read 2,234,421 times
That letter was boring to read, if Beri always writes like that then I understand why I have never heard of this person.

Honestly I cannot take all the whining going on, if they don’t agree with you or you don’t like your work place then go somewhere else. You only publicly quit like this (Beri was not fired apparently) when your trying to build a following or a brand of your own.

This person already has the next move planned out, he/she (I don’t care to look it up) is just playing their first hand.

Old 07-14-2020, 10:43 AM

5,209 posts, read 1,796,457 times
The Times lost all credibility after 2016. And it took a lot for me to stop reading because I loved that paper. I'm a NY-er-- I've read it my entire adult life. The Sunday Times was a thing you looked forward to. Now, they are the Breitbart of the left. The paper of record for the alt-left.

Old 07-14-2020, 10:44 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 6 days ago)

35,627 posts, read 17,953,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmom2 View Post
The Times lost all credibility after 2016. And it took a lot for me to stop reading because I loved that paper. I'm a NY-er-- I've read it my entire adult life. The Sunday Times was a thing you looked forward to. Now, they are the Breitbart of the left.
I still love the paper - don't necessarily need to read their opinion pieces, but their factual articles are indepth and thoughtful and well-researched.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies