Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2020, 06:24 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,250,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
This part?
The part about mandates not being enforced.

Old 12-09-2020, 04:34 AM

7,353 posts, read 3,525,357 times
In NJ, mask compliance is pretty high. Thanks to our governor for keeping us safe through his executive orders. If it wasn't for him, I would have probably been very sick by now as my personal choices in life have no bearing on my personal health. Thank you Governor Murphy for keeping me alive!

Old 12-09-2020, 04:04 PM

1,969 posts, read 544,212 times
what i see alot of is people leaning into each others space to talk. they cant hear each other right so move in, and talk louder. i see it so often. the masks may help if people dont see it as a golden shield and remember to stay the heck away.

ive always been uncomfortable with people in my space. those in line that love to stand so close you can feel their breath. so im glad there are stickers everywhere keeping people out of my space.

Old 12-09-2020, 05:25 PM

202 posts, read 143,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wifi Cake View Post
As of right now San Mateo County is not on lockdown...while 6 other Bay Area counties are.

Dr. Scott Morrow on Monday said the San Mateo won’t join six other Bay Area counties in stay-at-home order.
Your opinion means squat.

Anyone claiming that people are idiots for wearing a mask during a world pandemic that's exploding in the US and is spread between people who are in close contact with one another (within 6 feet).

○ Through respiratory droplets produced when an infected person coughs, sneezes, breathes, sings
or talks.

Only an idiot would scoff at people wearing masks during a highly contagious viral pandemic where the numbers are off the rails in the US.
Yes because SF has one of the highest densities of college educated folks in the US. Intelligent people understand how this virus spreads and they also understand that 45-80% of asymptomatic people shed heavy viral loads of the virus for up to 21 days.

It makes perfect sense why you saw these people wearing masks. Anyone with any sense would be wearing a mask regardless if a mask mandate was in place or not.
What about a Face shield by itself?

Old 12-09-2020, 05:31 PM

Default FACE shields?

Anybody here have an opinion about Face Shields?

I hate wearing a stupid mask but a Face shield by itself is 100x tolerable

most stores i been to have let me in with JUST a shield ( no mask)
I don’t care if it protects me less it’s so much breathable and tolerable than a stupid mask
I wear the glasses kind

Anyone here just wears a face shield instead of the mask?

Old 12-09-2020, 06:35 PM

2,540 posts, read 1,033,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert473 View Post
Anybody here have an opinion about Face Shields?

I hate wearing a stupid mask but a Face shield by itself is 100x tolerable

most stores i been to have let me in with JUST a shield ( no mask)
I don’t care if it protects me less it’s so much breathable and tolerable than a stupid mask
I wear the glasses kind

Anyone here just wears a face shield instead of the mask?

Costco will let you in with a face shield instead of a mask if you're medically exempt.

Old 12-09-2020, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkingOutsideTheBox View Post
Costco will let you in with a face shield instead of a mask if you're medically exempt.
What about other stores or places ?

Whats your experience been? Or what have u seen or heard?

Old 12-10-2020, 12:01 AM

37,110 posts, read 41,250,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenPineTree View Post
The virus is weak. 69 million got it, and 65 million probably had nothing more than the sniffles. Of that 65 million, probably 60 million felt completely healthy.

1.5 million deaths out of 7 billion, with questionable practices of attributing a death to Covid, is a rounding error. Out of those 1.5 million, at least 1 million were ancient walking dinosaurs, who would have died within the next few years.

This virus is a joke. Repeat it.

I have been trying to catch this virus since March. I was in Miami during the summer wave. I even shared a jacuzzi and drinks with people who came down with symptoms on July 4th. Nada nothing.

I went to numerous house parties, indoors, no masks. Nothing, nada.

I went to the gym entire time. No mask. I won't even disinfect equipment right after someone left their sweatstain. Nada, nothing.

I ate at numerous restaurants, bars, and nightclubs in the USA since pandemic began. Nada, nothing.

I did a lot of domestic travel, including numerous airplane flights and hops. I mentioned California, but you can add Michigan (family), Chicago, Smokey Mountains, NYC to the list. Nada nothing.

I did a lot of international travel, including to the boogeyman of the left: Brazil. I also went to France in December (just returned) and was in the Balkans (thanks to Croatia allowing Americans) in November/December when Covid19 exploded, and now the Balkans is the worst in Europe per capita. Nada nothing. I even gave some hitchhikers a ride in Croatia, one was coughing, windows closed because it was cold outside. Nada, nothing.

Did I mention I almost never wash my hands? After international travel, I'm perfectly fine buying a slice of pizza or sandwich and eating it with my hands, without washing my hands. Nada, nothing.

By nada, nothing I mean literally nada, nothing. Not even a runny nose. Not even a sore throat. Not even a temperature. Not even 5% fatigue. Nada, nothing. At this point I'm more scared of catching the common cold, at least that will give me the sniffles and a sore throat.

So this virus is a BIG Fing JOKE. Big Fing JOKE.
Ask a scientist about the significance of a case series of 1.

Or should it be a case series of "I"?

I am happy you have not gotten sick. It may be just luck, or you may be genetically resistant to the virus, as happens for some people who are unable to catch HIV.

Meanwhile, millions of people are getting sick, and right now over 3,000 per day are dying in the US, where it is the number one killer on a per day basis, exceeding even heart disease and cancer.

Old 12-10-2020, 12:25 AM

Quote:
TBH, I don't know anyone directly who died from it. A custodial supervisor back in my building in Miami Beach, died supposedly from Covid19. I saw him before, never interacted with him. That's about the closest I got. I also have a friend, who has a friend, whose husband died. But I never met her friend, let alone her friend's husband.

I have known numerous people who test +. Most showed cold-like symptoms. The only reason I'm entertaining this thing is different from the cold is that many I know lost their sense of smell, without a stuffy nose. I know someone, actually an uncle, who never fully regained his smell. He can smell some smells but not all. He jokes it changed his diet.

But at this point it's dozens of dozens of people I personally known who have tested + and none have died. So who are those people dying? Everytime I read obituaries I see extremely old people, extremely obese people. Granted the two I mentioned earlier, were younger than me and not obese, and had no underlying conditions that anyone divulged anyway.

I have since lost count, but let's say I know around 50 people who tested +, it maybe actually more at this point. Worldometers shows a 3% of dying. So that means 97% chance of not dying. So simple math shows then, that if I know 50 people who didn't die, the odds of that are (0.97)^50 = 22%.

Ok, ok, the risk of dying explodes if you're above 70. Below this age, your risk of dying is in the same range as the flu. Why is that? Why does the death rate explode when you're above 70? Something specific to this virus or how we're counting deaths.

A lot of these 3,000 deaths per day are dying of heart attacks and strokes, that are being attributed to Covid19. Before Covid19, I had numerous relatives die of a stroke, often when they came down with cold like symptoms. No one would say the cold caused the stroke, even though it was the straw that broke the camels back, as they say.

I agree with you. I know about 15 people who tested positive: ranging from totally asymptomatic to a minor cold with loss of smell for a week to flu like conditions for a couple of weeks. One guy was sick for a month but he is in his 60s and obese. Even he recovered completely. I wear a mask where it's required but won't wear one outside. Last summer, I saw people swimming in the ocean wearing masks and the other day, I saw a woman yell at her little daughter for taking off her mask when she was riding her scooter. Kids under 6 are exempt even indoors (the kid looked about 4) and they were outside where masks aren't required anyway. I also see people wearing masks when driving alone in their own cars and when riding on bicycles solo far away from other people. Most stores here don't give mask exemptions and tell you to order online or do curbside pick up if you have a medical reason you can't wear one. Costco does allow face shields but some places won't even accept that.

Old 12-10-2020, 12:37 AM

Quote:
I have seen people put masks on their infants. I want to say something, but I just stare and shrug.

Me too: I've seen a few on babies in strollers and once on a Golden Retriever (not a muzzle but a human Covid mask). And lots of women buying and marketing "fashionable" masks on social media as stocking stuffers as if it's going to be a permanent feature of our wardrobe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies