Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2020, 04:30 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,889,999 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post
No, it is not even close to reasonable. I am not sick so I can't give you or anyone else anything. So no I should not have to wear a mask because you are scared. I am in charge of what I wear, not you and not the government.
I am scared because I have two parents who had near death experiences in the lady 18 months and would rather not worry about them ending in a box because of people like you that think masks are useless because you don't have symptoms.

Old 10-10-2020, 04:31 PM

17,620 posts, read 6,905,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I am scared because I have two parents who had near death experiences in the lady 18 months and would rather not worry about them ending in a box because of people like you that think masks are useless because you don't have symptoms.
You and your parents should do what you need to do to avoid exposure to risk. That has nothing to do with me and what I choose to do.

Old 10-10-2020, 04:37 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,894,188 times
Quote:
Within reason. Everything anyone does theoretically endangers others. You driving your car endangers others.

A virus with a mortality rate of less than 0.5% is not a justification to limit the conduct of everyone in the country. You totalitarians are scary people. Your mindset is far more dangerous, insidious, and life-threatening than COVID-19.
Me, a totalitarian?? Hardly.

And how am I threatening anyone, sitting here in my own home at my computer? Are my written words really that powerful?

As for my "mindset" being "life-threatening", first, you have no idea what my "mindset" is or what my values are, or how the way I choose to live my life reflects them.

Let's just say I support several spot-clean charities which work with orphans in the developing world, do my bit for Global Warming by my long-time ownership of thirteen wooded acres (even if you don't believe in global warming, I also keep that land clean and well-populated by a variety of wildlife, and I invite friends of all ages to enjoy it with me when conditions allow, and I informally teach all visitors more about whatever takes their interest while there).

I financially assist family members who are disabled and struggling to live on very limited incomes. I go to church when I can do so safely. I support my church regardless of my attendance. I support another church as well. I help my neighbors and appreciate their help when offered. Ditto my friends.

Oh, yeah, and I wear my mask whenever I am around other people, and I keep at least six feet away from others, even when masked.

I support local and national political candidates whose views reflect my own and who I think will do the best possible job. I work for their elections. For the last five or so years, barring 2020, I have registered new voters during my city's July 4 festivities. I would have done the same this year, barring the pandemic.

Okay, enough about me. Now, how does your life reflect YOUR mindset? You seem especially fond of name-calling and fond of your own way, regardless of others' well-being, at least here at C-D. Are you like that in real life? Do tell.

If people would observe masking and social distancing for just eight weeks, the pandemic would be severely reduced in this country, just in time for Christmas. Yet those who continually holler "ME! ME! ME!!!" and scream about their so-called "Rights" make it impossible for this to happen, and instead will contribute to the deaths of thousands by their petty, selfish, narcissistic behavior.

I'd use stronger words, but don't want to ire the mods.

Old 10-10-2020, 04:40 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,894,188 times
Quote:
You and your parents should do what you need to do to avoid exposure to risk. That has nothing to do with me and what I choose to do.
Okay, so the people you refer to have to visit their doctor - and there you are in the elevator, or on the street outside, or in the parking lot, all unmasked when an unavoidable loud sneeze hits you.

Still think it has nothing to do with you? You, sir, are mistaken. Having just told me that all that I did was "life-threatening", I'd suggest you take a long look in the mirror.

Old 10-10-2020, 04:50 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,257,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
Me, a totalitarian?? Hardly.

And how am I threatening anyone, sitting here in my own home at my computer? Are my written words really that powerful?

As for my "mindset" being "life-threatening", first, you have no idea what my "mindset" is or what my values are, or how the way I choose to live my life reflects them.

Let's just say I support several spot-clean charities which work with orphans in the developing world, do my bit for Global Warming by my long-time ownership of thirteen wooded acres (even if you don't believe in global warming, I also keep that land clean and well-populated by a variety of wildlife, and I invite friends of all ages to enjoy it with me when conditions allow, and I informally teach all visitors more about whatever takes their interest while there).

I financially assist family members who are disabled and struggling to live on very limited incomes. I go to church when I can do so safely. I support my church regardless of my attendance. I support another church as well. I help my neighbors and appreciate their help when offered. Ditto my friends.

Oh, yeah, and I wear my mask whenever I am around other people, and I keep at least six feet away from others, even when masked.

I support local and national political candidates whose views reflect my own and who I think will do the best possible job. I work for their elections. For the last five or so years, barring 2020, I have registered new voters during my city's July 4 festivities. I would have done the same this year, barring the pandemic.

Okay, enough about me. Now, how does your life reflect YOUR mindset? You seem especially fond of name-calling and fond of your own way, regardless of others' well-being, at least here at C-D. Are you like that in real life? Do tell.

If people would observe masking and social distancing for just eight weeks, the pandemic would be severely reduced in this country, just in time for Christmas. Yet those who continually holler "ME! ME! ME!!!" and scream about their so-called "Rights" make it impossible for this to happen, and instead will contribute to the deaths of thousands by their petty, selfish, narcissistic behavior.

I'd use stronger words, but don't want to ire the mods.
Good for you and thank you for all that you do and contribute for the better of life on this planet.

I especially commend you for the 13 wooded acres and educating folks, but especially for helping wildlife to have a home that they don't have to have taken by force from them so that humans can deforest to build more whatever's due to our out of control population that keeps on growing.

Old 10-10-2020, 04:55 PM

8,136 posts, read 3,671,773 times
Quote:
Within reason. Everything anyone does theoretically endangers others. You driving your car endangers others.

A virus with a mortality rate of less than 0.5% is not a justification to limit the conduct of everyone in the country. You totalitarians are scary people. Your mindset is far more dangerous, insidious, and life-threatening than COVID-19.
Lol, another load of ... Driving a car? You take a test, if you pass you get a license. Then you need liability insurance and the car needs to be safe to drive. You have to follow the rules. And if you are reckless, you face the consequences. Etc.

Any other nonsensical comparison?

Old 10-10-2020, 05:04 PM

17,620 posts, read 6,905,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by serger View Post
Lol, another load of ... Driving a car? You take a test, if you pass you get a license. Then you need liability insurance and the car needs to be safe to drive. You have to follow the rules. And if you are reckless, you face the consequences. Etc.

Any other nonsensical comparison?
Sure, let's compare it to H1N1. 60 million plus infections under Joe Biden's failed leadership. We'll never know how many died from it because the Biden administration intentionally stopped counting. Yet, nobody had to wear a mask or shelter in place. Nor did children lose a year of schooling, the economy wasn't shut down and businesses were not pointlessly destroyed.

The response to COVID-19 was initially necessary to ensure the hospital system was not overrun. That didn't happen. Since then, the Democrats have been using the pandemic for political purposes without a care in the world about the people and livelihoods they destroy in the process.

What is your role in the Democrat Party? I'm just curious. It's pretty clear you are active in the party so tell us if you don't mind.

Old 10-10-2020, 05:12 PM

4,169 posts, read 2,141,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post

You have a right to stay at home, lock your door and put blanket over your head. Same thing goes for your parents.

Old 10-10-2020, 05:17 PM

8,136 posts, read 3,671,773 times
Quote:
Sure, let's compare it to H1N1. 60 million plus infections under Joe Biden's failed leadership. We'll never know how many died from it because the Biden administration intentionally stopped counting. Yet, nobody had to wear a mask or shelter in place. Nor did children lose a year of schooling, the economy wasn't shut down and businesses were not pointlessly destroyed.

The response to COVID-19 was initially necessary to ensure the hospital system was not overrun. That didn't happen. Since then, the Democrats have been using the pandemic for political purposes without a care in the world about the people and livelihoods they destroy in the process.

What is your role in the Democrat Party? I'm just curious. It's pretty clear you are active in the party so tell us if you don't mind.

To answer your last question first - none whatsoever.

The CDC estimate for H1N1 is around 12.5k deaths. Couple of things: it was not nearly as contagious as the coronavirus , and there were very effective antivirals from day 1. Oh, and of course testing with immediate results was available.

One of my kids came down with it. He was not well at all, went to the doctor, test in spot, antiviral. Fine in like TWO hours. Lastly, none of us got it , despite extremely close contact.

Old 10-10-2020, 05:18 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,889,999 times
Quote:

60m H1N1 cases with 18k dead if you use the high end. CDC only counted 4k actual deaths. The 12k average came from get this, the CDC revising due to excess deaths related to flu-like symptoms. We are at a known 7.73m cases, 214K dead from Covid with KNOWN deaths and cases. With the testing blunders we easily have more cases and yes, more deaths too.

You seem to be Republican or pro-Trump shill with your rights crap. So you have some nerve calling someone whom's criticism of your view kills your argument.

In closing.
Your right to wear mask infringes on my and my parents' rights to health.
Your rights end where mine begin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies