Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2020, 11:09 AM

3,368 posts, read 1,538,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
LOL! Here's the conclusion:
"This investigation highlights differences in community and close contact exposures between adults who received a positive SARS-CoV-2 test result and those who received a negative SARS-CoV-2 test result. Continued assessment of various types of activities and exposures as communities, schools, and workplaces reopen is important. Exposures and activities where mask use and social distancing are difficult to maintain, including going to locations that offer on-site eating and drinking, might be important risk factors for SARS-CoV-2 infection. Implementing safe practices to reduce exposures to SARS-CoV-2 during on-site eating and drinking should be considered to protect customers, employees, and communities¶¶ and slow the spread of COVID-19."
look at the numbers who tested positive for covid . people who said they wore masks all of the time had the highest number of people infected . The people who never wore the mask had only 6 cases. Now the study does not have a big sample size but you would think the opposite would happen. In this case it almost looks like masks could increase your chance of getting covid. That is what the video pointed out not the conclusion. numbers do not lie. At the very least it could be said masks are not effective at preventing covid but more studies would need to be done with larger groups of people. The people doing the study could be biased therefore they refused to point out that people who wore the masks all the time got covid more. look below these numbers do not lie.

Reported use of cloth face covering or mask 14 days before illness onset (missing = 2)
Never 6 (3.9) 5 (3.1) 0.86
Rarely 6 (3.9) 6 (3.8)
Sometimes 11 (7.2) 7 (4.4)
Often 22 (14.4) 23 (14.5)
Always 108 (70.6) 118 (74.2)

70 percent of the people that wore masks all of the time got covid but the people that wore the mask the least or not at all got covid less.

Old 10-14-2020, 11:15 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenPineTree View Post
You seem to be unable to think at all.

So you're saying when re-exposed, they will have antibodies and/or B cells with prior immunological memory so they fight it off easier next time? Because that's exactly what I said and are talking about. I don't know what your stupid sentence means "But, s/he doesn't have to be exposed to anything prior for the immune system to do its job."

I don't care who you are, or what you do. Your statements are stupid and wrong.
But you don't have to have antibodies to some disease, any disease, for your immune system to work. You don't have to be constantly "challenging" your immune system so that it will work. It knows what to do.

You are rude and nasty.

Old 10-14-2020, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justyouraveragetenant View Post
look at the numbers who tested positive for covid . people who said they wore masks all of the time had the highest number of people infected . The people who never wore the mask had only 6 cases. Now the study does not have a big sample size but you would think the opposite would happen. In this case it almost looks like masks could increase your chance of getting covid. That is what the video pointed out not the conclusion. numbers do not lie. At the very least it could be said masks are not effective at preventing covid but more studies would need to be done with larger groups of people. The people doing the study could be biased therefore they refused to point out that people who wore the masks all the time got covid more. look below these numbers do not lie.

Reported use of cloth face covering or mask 14 days before illness onset (missing = 2)
Never 6 (3.9) 5 (3.1) 0.86
Rarely 6 (3.9) 6 (3.8)
Sometimes 11 (7.2) 7 (4.4)
Often 22 (14.4) 23 (14.5)
Always 108 (70.6) 118 (74.2)

70 percent of the people that wore masks all of the time got covid but the people that wore the mask the least or not at all got covid less.
The people who made the video do not understand statistics. Masks have never been touted as preventing the wearer from getting Covid; they're supposed to protect others from the wearer. It only works when everyone (or almost everyone) wears one.

Old 10-14-2020, 11:23 AM

3,368 posts, read 1,538,475 times
Quote:
The people who made the video do not understand statistics. Masks have never been touted as preventing the wearer from getting Covid; they're supposed to protect others from the wearer. It only works when everyone (or almost everyone) wears one.
ya that sounds like a logical fallacy if I ever heard one. Do viruses only go in one direction? how would it only work one way that makes no sense? I would like to hear the scientific explanation on this. I have heard that argument but no one has been able to explain it in detail.

if masks do protect (lets go with that claim) then the person wearing the mask would also have some protection even if others are not wearing them. Maybe they came up with that argument because they know they can not prove masks protect but it was a way to get everyone to wear them. This would give a false sense of safety.

Old 10-14-2020, 11:26 AM

6,829 posts, read 2,115,831 times
Quote:
But you don't have to have antibodies to some disease, any disease, for your immune system to work. You don't have to be constantly "challenging" your immune system so that it will work. It knows what to do.

You are rude and nasty.
What do you mean "work"? Your immune system is "working" in all cases, but if you're exposed to pathogens it works "better." Do you understand something that simple?

Analogy: your muscles work right now. But if you do weights and train, they become stronger and work better.

Jesus Christ, god help us if you're a nurse.

Old 10-14-2020, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justyouraveragetenant View Post
ya that sounds like a logical fallacy if I ever heard one. Do viruses only go in one direction? how would it only work one way that makes no sense? I would like to hear the scientific explanation on this. I have heard that argument but no one has been able to explain it in detail.

if masks do protect (lets go with that claim) then the person wearing the mask would also have some protection even if others are not wearing them.
Where have you been all this time? There is plenty of research that proves what I said. A HUGE body of research. Here's ONE article, among many.
https://www.ucsf.edu/news/2020/06/41...-masks-prevent

Your last statement is begging the issue.

Old 10-14-2020, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenPineTree View Post
What do you mean "work"? Your immune system is "working" in all cases, but if you're exposed to pathogens it works "better." Do you understand something that simple?

Analogy: your muscles work right now. But if you do weights and train, they become stronger and work better.

Jesus Christ, god help us if you're a nurse.
That is a false analogy, one that a lot of people who don't understand the immune system use. How often do you have to have s*x to make a baby? 1X, 10X, 100X?

If you don't quit your nasty personal attacks, I'll report you and this thread will get closed.

Old 10-14-2020, 11:57 AM
bu2

24,070 posts, read 14,863,435 times
Quote:
Where have you been? Most of the people arguing for masks claim they protect the wearer. You see it constantly on this board. You see if constantly with the people who say Republicans deserve it when they don't wear masks.

Mask Nazis are stupid, science denying idiots.

Old 10-14-2020, 12:08 PM

6,829 posts, read 2,115,831 times
Quote:
That is a false analogy, one that a lot of people who don't understand the immune system use. How often do you have to have s*x to make a baby? 1X, 10X, 100X?

If you don't quit your nasty personal attacks, I'll report you and this thread will get closed.
Your analogy to sex is a false analogy. Your immune system becomes stronger after it fights off infections. I cannot believe I need to tell this to a supposed nurse, but here I am.

Old 10-14-2020, 12:52 PM

995 posts, read 509,266 times
Reporting in from Atlanta, GA here.

I became an avid anti-masker back in the summer when they were doing the "you're selfish if you're don't mask up" thing. I've never believed in masks, I think they're one of the worse public health policies ever inflected upon the American people. These days, I have no qualms standing up to the folks who insist I wear a mask. It's my face, my air, and my body. Only me, myself and I get to decide what to wear.

Where do I go with a bare face? One word - everywhere. Outdoors and in. I just ignore the big signs in the stores, and only a few times I've had to claim exemption. I've been to Walmart, Target, IKEA, various grocery stores,auto stores, gas stations, restaurants - all mask-free. It was scary at first being the only bare-facer in the store. Now, that I've done it a while, it's far easier. Nobody's ever said anything to me, either.

What's bumming me out these days is seeing all those masks outdoors. My question is why?? Today, on my hike around Stone Mtn, I had people pulling up their masks just to pass me on the trail - I find that to be totally bizarre. I also a couple groups of people (friends, I assume) wearing masks. Again, outdoors, where even the CDC says they're not needed. No matter, I proudly bare-face it through it all. Even on the Emory campus, where they had signs everywhere saying wear a mask. Nobody said anything to me there, either.

However, I am looking forward to getting back to our 2nd property in Florida to do some work on it. It's next to the beach, so it's great to walk out on the beach and see 100% no-maskers. People elsewhere are chill about masking too, some stores are only 50/50 with mask usage. With the covid restrictions being taken off there, I hope masking has dropped further. I strongly suspect that mask usage will fall off sharply anyway after Nov 3rd, since this whole thing has gone mindlessly political.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies