Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2020, 02:22 PM

5,450 posts, read 2,717,954 times

Advertisements

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6f18_UxiMY

7/20/2020 (time 6:00)

The Surgeon General and great Kayleigh McEnany, latest remarks on mask wearing

Old 07-20-2020, 03:10 PM

10,513 posts, read 5,166,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenPineTree View Post
Where I live in Miami-Dade, Miami Beach, the majority of people don't wear masks while outside. I will refuse to wear a mask outdoors. If they give me a citation, I will throw it away. If they take me to court for unpaid citations, I will get a lawyer.

Enjoy your fines and your legal bills.

Old 07-20-2020, 03:13 PM

25,445 posts, read 9,805,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenPineTree View Post
Where I live in Miami-Dade, Miami Beach, the majority of people don't wear masks while outside. I will refuse to wear a mask outdoors. If they give me a citation, I will throw it away. If they take me to court for unpaid citations, I will get a lawyer.
The lawyer would probably cost more than the fine.

Old 07-20-2020, 04:47 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,044,521 times
People refusing to wear masks in The Villages (Florida) are now suffering the consequences of their actions; per an article in today's N Y Times.

Excerpt: "Since the beginning of July, hospital admissions of residents from the Villages have quadrupled at University of Florida Health The Villages, the hospital’s critical care doctors said. As of last week, the hospital admitted 29 Villages residents, all of them with the virus, said Dr. Anil Gogineni, a pulmonologist and critical care doctor there. That was up from the single digits three weeks before. ... The rise in cases among older residents most likely stems from the spread of the virus by young people who are not taking preventive measures like wearing masks..."

Myself, I wear a mask when I leave the house because I want to live long enough to vote on Nov 3rd.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 07-20-2020, 05:01 PM

1,676 posts, read 1,534,598 times
Just gonna leave this here: https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/...746811915?s=19

Old 07-20-2020, 06:21 PM

7,826 posts, read 2,727,776 times
Here is the Gov from Mississippi Tate Reeves.....this is the first time somebody from Mississippi made sense to me and I grew up in KY. He really makes some great points here.

https://twitter.com/tatereeves/statu...50813439483904

Quote:
Warning: this is straight talk. It assumes people can handle hearing hard truth and nuance. If you’re up for that, keep reading.
Quote:
Throughout this pandemic, everyone has leapt for the “silver bullet” solution. Every few weeks, there seems to be a new shiny object that will protect us all. First it was more ventilators. Then it was a shelter-in-place. Testing and contact tracing. Now a statewide mask mandate.

Here’s the hard truth: there’s no single answer. All of those measures can be useful. None can be our savior. There’s no magic solution coming to save us all from personal responsibility. There is no piece of paper that a politician can sign to make this go away.

It’s a messy, complicated problem. There’s lots of contradicting information out there. It’s nuanced. Unfortunately, our country (especially the dominant political and media infrastructure) does not do nuance very well right now.

I, for one, am very grateful that there seems to be an emerging consensus around masks. I am frustrated—even angry—at the smug dismissal of masks from the world’s experts at the start of this pandemic. They pushed for painful shut downs that cost livelihoods and lives instead.

I’m baffled by my friends who are so passionately anti-mask. This is so much better. No, it’s not fun. Of course, there are a few people who can’t safely wear masks. But as policy, wearing a mask at public gatherings is infinitely better than losing your paycheck and livelihood.

Skepticism is good. We should all question authority constantly. I questioned the risk/reward of long-term lockdowns, and went against the grain many times. It’s not wrong to do so. But I’m telling you, the effects of COVID-19 on hospitals are not hypothetical. It’s happening.

The prevailing question should always be: what is the cost of this measure compared to the benefit? We believe the benefit of wearing masks is pretty high. Nothing’s perfect, but it’s good. And the societal cost—compared to shuttering schools and businesses—is infinitely lighter.

We also have to be clear: masks alone won’t be the end of this fight. In a few weeks, there will be something else for everyone to chase in the media. It’s why I’ve tried to deemphasize any single part of the equation—none are magic. Acting to the contrary loses us credibility.

COVID-19 is extremely dangerous. School closures are dangerous. Mass unemployment is dangerous. Those aren’t contradictory ideas. We have to mitigate the damage from all of them. Pretending this is simple, when it’s so obviously not, makes intelligent people stop listening.

The only solution is for all of us to make some effort. Wash your hands. Avoid that large gathering. Wear a mask as often as you can. You won’t be perfect—none of us are. Please just try, because the impact of mass apathy or overconfidence is widespread death.

Last edited by JohnBoy64; 07-20-2020 at 06:34 PM..

Old 07-20-2020, 09:12 PM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 27 days ago)

27,646 posts, read 16,133,597 times
So sick of the conflicting information. Asymptomatic went from infectious, to not very infectious , now back to causing 40% of new cases? Wtf? Surfaces were highly suspect to not really a problem, who is putting this info out?

Old 07-20-2020, 09:26 PM

10,531 posts, read 6,165,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCMann2 View Post
I guess the sheeple will start wearing masks now that god aka Trump says so.

Old 07-21-2020, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
So sick of the conflicting information. Asymptomatic went from infectious, to not very infectious , now back to causing 40% of new cases? Wtf? Surfaces were highly suspect to not really a problem, who is putting this info out?

Welcome to science. When something brand new and unknown emerges, theories get tossed out. As time goes by, mounting evidence disproves some early theories while others are confirmed. In science being wrong isn't bad, it's valuable because it helps point you in the right direction towards a full understanding.

Old 07-21-2020, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Excerpt: "Since the beginning of July, hospital admissions of residents from the Villages have quadrupled at University of Florida Health The Villages, the hospital’s critical care doctors said. As of last week, the hospital admitted 29 Villages residents, all of them with the virus, said Dr. Anil Gogineni, a pulmonologist and critical care doctor there. That was up from the single digits three weeks before. ... The rise in cases among older residents most likely stems from the spread of the virus by young people who are not taking preventive measures like wearing masks..."
I wonder if White Power Golf Cart guy is one of the 29.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies