Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2020, 10:44 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,259,041 times

Advertisements

This is a great link with tons of good information.

Use of Masks to Help Slow the Spread of COVID-19

Old 10-21-2020, 11:59 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,576,536 times
Chris Cuomo threatened with $500 fine by his apartment building for not wearing a mask.

Do as Dems say, not as they do.

Old 10-22-2020, 12:30 AM

11,761 posts, read 7,259,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
Chris Cuomo threatened with $500 fine by his apartment building for not wearing a mask.
Perhaps he's a closet Trumplican?

Old 10-22-2020, 03:39 AM

6,933 posts, read 2,390,326 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BLLbIWdk5Q 3:24

"The Brave New World has arrived."

I wonder if they will be box car linked....

Old 10-22-2020, 06:06 AM

20,955 posts, read 5,545,098 times
Quote:

Rule number one, right?

Old 10-22-2020, 06:06 AM

6,829 posts, read 2,117,145 times
Quote:

Everyone mandating these mask policies know they're ineffective. It reminds me of the "under the desk" drills to prepare yourself for a nuclear attack. It's about providing a veneer of safety.

I see people tugging on their masks, adjusting them as tight as possible, when I pass maskless. They seem to not understand how masks work, otherwise they wouldn't bother doing that.

Old 10-22-2020, 06:09 AM

3,644 posts, read 8,580,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
I've already posted this peer reviewed review study...perhaps some missed it.

It's a very informative review study. The key take away from this study...The available evidence suggests that near-universal adoption of non-medical masks when out in public, in combination with complementary public health measures could successfully reduce effective-R to below 1.0, thereby stopping community spread. Economic analysis suggests that the impact of mask wearing could be thousands of US dollars saved per person per mask.

Face Masks Against COVID-19: An Evidence Review

This is a great video and read from researchers at the Florida Atlantic University, courtesy of the Department of Ocean and Mechanical Engineering, College of Engineering and Computer Science.

SEEING IS BELIEVING: EFFECTIVENESS OF FACEMASKS

After watching the droplets linger in still air...it's clear that walking into this aerosol of droplets without wearing a face mask would indeed result in serious exposure if this was a person infected with SARS-CoV-2.

It's clear that bandana face masks offer the least protection.

Bandanas and neck gaitors actually increase the risk of transmission because they break up the large droplets into tiny droplets. The droplets, then, remained suspended instead of just falling to the ground. In NC, where there are very strict mandates in place, rarely will I see someone without a mask. I would guess 99% mask compliance based on my personal observation. A lot of the mask I see are neck gaitors and bandanas. Based on the science of those two types of "mask" it explains why the confirmed positive numbers have continued to rise since the implication of mask mandate.

Sorry, the science has failed to slow down the spread in NC.

"Gaiters, which are known for being made of fleece, were found to release a lot of little particles from the wearer and created more tiny droplets than speaking without a mask. “This mask breaking down big droplets into you, multiple little droplets,” said Fisher. “These little droplets could be problematic because they have an easier time being carried away by air. So they might travel for the distance as opposed to just dropping down to the floor. So this was problematic.”

https://www.goodmorningamerica.com/w...orked-72285844
https://advances.sciencemag.org/cont...d3083.full.pdf

Old 10-22-2020, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaMaj7 View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BLLbIWdk5Q 3:24

"The Brave New World has arrived."

I wonder if they will be box car linked....

It's coming. Who is going to fight? The fools who walk around with muzzles on their faces?

Old 10-22-2020, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenPineTree View Post
Everyone mandating these mask policies know they're ineffective. It reminds me of the "under the desk" drills to prepare yourself for a nuclear attack. It's about providing a veneer of safety.

I see people tugging on their masks, adjusting them as tight as possible, when I pass maskless. They seem to not understand how masks work, otherwise they wouldn't bother doing that.

Old 10-22-2020, 08:37 AM
bu2

24,097 posts, read 14,879,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
I've already posted this peer reviewed review study...perhaps some missed it.

It's a very informative review study. The key take away from this study...The available evidence suggests that near-universal adoption of non-medical masks when out in public, in combination with complementary public health measures could successfully reduce effective-R to below 1.0, thereby stopping community spread. Economic analysis suggests that the impact of mask wearing could be thousands of US dollars saved per person per mask.

Face Masks Against COVID-19: An Evidence Review

This is a great video and read from researchers at the Florida Atlantic University, courtesy of the Department of Ocean and Mechanical Engineering, College of Engineering and Computer Science.

SEEING IS BELIEVING: EFFECTIVENESS OF FACEMASKS

After watching the droplets linger in still air...it's clear that walking into this aerosol of droplets without wearing a face mask would indeed result in serious exposure if this was a person infected with SARS-CoV-2.

It's clear that bandana face masks offer the least protection.
From the link:

"...Although no randomized controlled trials (RCT) on the use
of masks as source control for SARS-CoV-2 has been published
, a number of studies have attempted to indirectly estimate the efficacy of masks. Overall, an evidence review (29)
finds "moderate certainty evidence shows that the use of handwashing plus masks probably reduces the spread of respiratory
viruses."
The most relevant paper (30), with important implications
for public mask wearing during the COVID-19 outbreak, is
one that compares the efficacy of surgical masks for source control for seasonal coronavirus, influenza, and rhinovirus. With
ten participants, the masks were effective at blocking coronavirus droplets of all sizes for every subject. However, masks
were far less effective at blocking rhinovirus droplets of any
size, or of blocking small influenza droplets. The results suggest that masks may have a significant..."

1. People are not wearing surgical masks.
2. 10 people in an uncontrolled trial is nothing beyond an anecdote and that is the best they have and that is with surgical masks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies