Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2020, 06:00 AM

2,281 posts, read 1,580,488 times

Advertisements

Any mask mandate that says you need to wear it in wide open spaces nobody within 50-100 yards or in my car alone will be met with a strong NO.
nope not a ultra-conservative, I am an independent. If the country gets any crazier post-election, I may have to move out.

Old 10-26-2020, 08:13 AM

37,959 posts, read 22,134,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
I don't care what you do. I know how to protect myself against the irresponsible folks.
Easy, just don't come in contact with any people.

We all know, or should know, that if we do come across a person who is contagious with COVID, and are near them for 15 minutes, then even if both of us wear a mask we are not protected. I just stay six feet away, and don't hang around with the same person for any longer than I need to; family members excluded.

Old 10-26-2020, 08:17 AM

37,959 posts, read 22,134,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankrj View Post
Any mask mandate that says you need to wear it in wide open spaces nobody within 50-100 yards or in my car alone will be met with a strong NO.
nope not a ultra-conservative, I am an independent. If the country gets any crazier post-election, I may have to move out.
The medical professionals have been very clear, wearing these cheap masks will not protect healthy people from breathing in the virus. Masks are only to try and prevent contagious people from sneezing or coughing in our faces, and getting phlegm or saliva on us.

Old 10-26-2020, 08:25 AM
bu2

24,070 posts, read 14,859,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankrj View Post
I will ignore such nonsense. Probably half the population will.

Old 10-26-2020, 08:27 AM
bu2

Quote:
Originally Posted by serger View Post
Well, I don't know if it's dramatic, but spreading the virus by idiotic behavior causes unnecessary deaths. And ruins the economy. How stupid is that?
But not wearing a mask is not idiotic behavior or irresponsible.

Going out after you know you've been exposed, with or without a mask, is irresponsible. Wearing a mask and getting in someone's face is irresponsible. Going out to a protest or a rally with 10,000 people crammed together is irresponsible.

And the virus only ruins the economy if you overreact to it.

Old 10-26-2020, 08:31 AM
bu2

If you follow the science, here is ALL that a mask does:

It reduces the distance the cough/sneeze/spit travels from a person.
That is relevant if:
You are not already social distancing (which is when mask wearing is recommended-when you CAN'T socially distance).
The person is one of the 1-5% or so who has the virus at a given time.
You are exposed at that close distance for a period of time. Exposure is defined as close contact for 15 minutes.

So the impact is really marginal even when you don't consider all the downsides of mask mandates.

Old 10-26-2020, 09:39 AM

2,281 posts, read 1,580,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
The medical professionals have been very clear, wearing these cheap masks will not protect healthy people from breathing in the virus. Masks are only to try and prevent contagious people from sneezing or coughing in our faces, and getting phlegm or saliva on us.
I don't know about you but I have never been coughed or sneezed on by anyone in 45+ years.
People wearing N95 masks can be infected and touch objects at the store that you touch at checkout counter, handles, produce bags, produce, packaged goods and so on. You are not 100% protected wearing a mask or gloves. If you wear a CDC suit then you are protected 99.99% beyond a doubt. Or are you if it's airborne and lingers for hours?

I get my Covid info from Europe as well. Smart people would not rely entirely on the US media or politician's talking points. Science is consistent, not opinionated which is what is happening in the US and in some countries. Epidemiologists from Stanford and other highly renowned medical hospitals worldwide have strong differing views and factual studies that are dismissed as not science. Why? Can your mind not be critical or think independently? Take politics out of it and just think.

The media is ridiculous. Fauci changes his mind several times in six months and so did Biden. Their videos and tweet publish dates don't lie. We all make mistakes. Trump made some too. They should own up to it and resolve this intelligently.

People not at risk and who don't visit people at risk absolutely should not be forced to wear masks or be forced to stay at home. This is not instant death or hospitalization as it's being promoted. I have read that not 1/10th, not 1/100th, and not for 1/10th of 100 of the population dies or becomes long term ill.

Meanwhile there's 60% more deaths in diabetes, kidney deaths, 50% more deaths in cancers in the last 6 months due to not seeing their doctors because of this Covid that has killed 225,000+. only Covid deaths count not our other diseases? Let's not talk about suicides either. I know one teen in our extended family who was so depressed with this crap they mention suicidal thoughts and had to be talked out of it. Our media is very irresponsible with this constant daily fear campaign and hate for one person. They have shut down many people's lives, jobs and caused thousands of deaths.

Like some countries in Europe I say live your life responsibly as if you have a cold. Don't live your life like you're hiding in the closet from a home invader.

Last edited by frankrj; 10-26-2020 at 10:22 AM..

Old 10-26-2020, 11:43 AM

5,204 posts, read 4,666,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post

That is relevant if:
You are not already social distancing (which is when mask wearing is recommended-when you CAN'T socially distance).
You are exposed at that close distance for a period of time. Exposure is defined as close contact for 15 minutes.

So the impact is really marginal even when you don't consider all the downsides of mask mandates.
And yet in Asia they've managed to virtually eliminate the virus through common sense and mask use, neither of which is common here in America.

Old 10-26-2020, 12:32 PM

6,829 posts, read 2,115,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adhom View Post
And yet in Asia they've managed to virtually eliminate the virus through common sense and mask use, neither of which is common here in America.
But Europe did not. France and Spain had mask mandates. On Sunday, France saw 50,000 new cases. That would be like us (USA) seeing 245,000 cases. Democrats scream that the sky is falling when we see 80,000 new cases.

Of course, France will be fine. This virus is a joke.

Old 10-26-2020, 02:28 PM

5,450 posts, read 2,713,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post

That is relevant if:

Suppose you have an N95 or K95 mask on and you are sitting on a bus for 15 minutes and a few feet away is a person who has COVID-19 with no mask on and they cough and sneeze a few times.
To what degree does that mask reduce your chances of breathing in virus particles in the air?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies