Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2020, 01:09 PM

1,969 posts, read 543,869 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
It simply astounds me how so many folks truly believe that they are smarter than the vast majority of scientists and medical professionals when it comes to COVID-19. The ignorance is overwhelmingly astounding.
well, when you see your governor dining maskless with said medical professionals, it makes you question it, no?

Old 11-29-2020, 02:40 PM

17,602 posts, read 6,890,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wifi Cake View Post
Explain how wearing a protective mask during a major pandemic that's spreading like wildfire in the US, destroying "the American way of life"?

Also explain when there was a time you were forced by the government to wear a condom. Also how is "the American way of life" destroyed by wearing a condom?

You need to update your knowledge on what Communism is.

Communism a system in which goods are owned in common and are available to all as needed; Communism is a theory advocating elimination of private property.

Wearing a mask or a condom has nothing at all to do with Communism.
How many lives do you think you've saved with your cloth mask? Are you up to a hundred yet? I'm sure you've saved thousands of lives.

You deserve a gold star!!! Good job!!!

Old 11-29-2020, 04:29 PM

37,095 posts, read 41,226,282 times
Quote:
No this is not correct.

You need to have the a specific science background in order to understand the principal of this test...but here goes!

The COVID-19 RT-PCR Test is a real-time reverse transcription polymerase chain reaction (rRT -PCR) test. The test can be run in a singleplex format (three individual assays) or multiplexed into a single reaction and amplification set up.

In a singleplex format, the test uses three primer and probe sets to detect three regions in the SARSCoV-2 nucleocapsid (N) gene and one primer and probe set to detect human RNase P (RP) in a clinical sample.

When multiplexed into a single reaction, the test uses two primer and probe sets to detect two regions in the SARS-CoV-2 N gene and one primer and probe set to detect RP. RNA isolated from upper and lower respiratory specimens (such as nasal, nasopharyngeal or oropharyngeal swabs, sputum, lower respiratory tract aspirates, bronchoalveolar lavage, and nasopharyngeal wash/aspirate or nasal aspirate) is reverse transcribed to cDNA and subsequently amplified using Applied Biosystems QuantStudio7 Flex (QS7) instrument with software version 1.3. During the amplification process, the probe anneals to a specific target sequence located between the forward and reverse primers. During the extension phase of the PCR cycle, the 5’ nuclease activity of Taq polymerase degrades the bound probe, causing the reporter dye to separate from the quencher dye, generating a fluorescent signal. Fluorescence intensity is monitored at each PCR cycle by QS7.

You can read more about it here: EMERGENCY USE AUTHORIZATION (EUA) SUMMARY COVID-19 RT-PCR TEST (LABORATORY CORPORATION OF AMERICA)
Since you have a pattern of making false claims I am skeptical of this claim.
No this is not correct.

Active virus shedding appears to be transmissible several days before symptoms appear, and a patient can remain contagious for 2-4 weeks after infection.

An asymptomatic person continues to shed the virus for up to 14-21 days after they test negative for COVID-19.

Many individuals with SARS-CoV-2 infection remained asymptomatic for a prolonged period, and viral load was similar to that in symptomatic patients; therefore, isolation of infected persons should be performed regardless of symptoms.

Read this new study! Clinical Course and Molecular Viral Shedding Among Asymptomatic and Symptomatic Patients With SARS-CoV-2 Infection in a Community Treatment Center in the Republic of Korea

Available data indicate that persons with mild to moderate COVID-19 remain infectious no longer than 10 days after symptom onset. Persons with more severe to critical illness or severe immunocompromise likely remain infectious no longer than 20 days after symptom onset. Recovered persons can continue to shed detectable SARS-CoV-2 RNA in upper respiratory specimens for up to 3 months after illness onset, albeit at concentrations considerably lower than during illness, in ranges where replication-competent virus has not been reliably recovered and infectiousness is unlikely.
Which is why contact tracing testing is crucial!

It's how Singapore and S. Korea was able to contain this virus.
Thankfully your opinion on this subject does not matter.

Thankfully we will be getting a new administration that will seek out a team of highly qualified scientists, epidemiologists and other pandemic professionals who will work on ways to contain the spread of this virus.

Trump is the reason the virus is at the levels it is in the US today. When a very contagious virus hits you don't react they way he did. First came blithe denial. Having already disbanded the global health security team charged with fighting pandemics, ditched the 69-page playbook left to him by the Obama administration, and disregarded more than a dozen warnings in his own daily briefings, the president claimed the virus was no threat, and that it would miraculously disappear. The central goal was to keep the stock market from crashing. When it became clear that coronavirus was immune to happy talk, Trump moved on to phase two: distract and divide.

Trump could have mobilized the federal government to provide widespread testing and contact tracing, ordered a national lockdown, and coordinated aide to desperate states, instead Trump peddled quack cures, spouted conspiracy theories, and attacked anyone with the temerity to note his ineptitude.
Wrong again. People who do 3 simple things...properly wearing a mask in public, social distancing from others, and frequently washing their hands are at much lower risk than someone with your attitude.

Millions of people who do those 3 simple things have not contracted this virus. Yes it is doing good.
Oh yes the results are there. The states with the no mask mandates are the states with the most cases per capita, and states with mask mandates have lower numbers of cases per capita.

Example: North and South Dakoda have no statewide mask mandate. South Dakoda ranks the second for the most cases in the US per 1M people. North Dakota ranks #1 in the US for the most cases of COVID-19 per capita. In fact just a few weeks ago, Gov. Doug Burgum instituted a statewide mask requirement on Nov. 14. The order mandates face-covering for anyone over age 4 in indoor businesses and public places and outdoors where physical distancing cannot be maintained. It is in effect through at least Dec. 13.

I think the North Dakota Gov. is a bit late to the party with respect to mandating a statewide mask requirement. You don't wait until your state hosts the most COVID-19 cases per capita to institute a statewide mask mandate.

Now lets look at New York and CA which both have a statewide mask mandate. CA ranks 41st and New York ranks 36th for the number of positive cases per 1M people.

Yes the results are very clear.
COVID-19 disproportionately kills older people but young adults aren't immune.

From February through July 2020, a total of 391,814 cases of COVID-19 or multisystem inflammatory syndrome (8% of total cases) were reported by 47 U.S. health districts in persons <21 years old.

Among these health districts, 20 reported no deaths and 27 reported 121 deaths in this age group (about 0.08% of total deaths).

The proportion of deaths out of hospital were higher in those aged 14 to 20 years (37%) and infants (33%).

'Wrecked our lives': Families of 3 young adults who died from COVID-19 share heartbreaking stories
What exactly do you think is scaring people? I don't know anyone who is scared about this virus. I know people are concerned because of all the people who don't abide by the 3 simple measures.

People who develop any type of bacterial infection from a mask is a person who is NOT wearing it or caring for it correctly.

One way you could hypothetically end up with fungal pneumonia is if you find an old mask that’s very moldy and decide to use it. It’s very important to keep your masks clean and wash it after every wear.

Expert Sets Straight 5 Common Face Mask Myths

No this is not correct.

Wearing a mask won’t weaken your immune system. “Another rumor I’ve heard is that wearing a mask will prevent your body from building immunity to colds or viruses, and that is absolutely not true,” says Dr. Burgess. “Wearing a mask will not affect your immune system in the least. Your body will continue to work as it's meant to.”

Common Face Mask Misconceptions
Again this is not correct.

Health experts don't know whether we really become immune to COVID-19 after we're infected. And if we do have immunity, we don't know how long it might last. Thus far, there have been only a few incidents of confirmed re-infections.

A Dallas woman tested positive for COVID-19 in February, recovered, then tested positive again in June
Well done. Cannot rep you again yet.

Old 11-29-2020, 05:03 PM

Quote:
My cloth mask? Can you name the type of mask I wear? Hint: It's made from Nylon, cotton fabric. Can you tell me what size and percent of viral particles my mask captures?

Masks capture even the smallest particles—even while people are wearing them—and they have documented health benefits. That should be enough to satisfy even the skeptics!

Can air pollution masks capture coronavirus particles? Yes they can!

Beneficial cardiovascular effects of reducing exposure to particulate air pollution with a simple facemask

Researchers from the University of Edinburgh tested different common masks by running a diesel generator (to mimic car exhaust) and piping the exhaust through different masks. They used a particle counter to see how many particles made it through the mask.

Also, you mask cultists never seem to have a good answer for this question: If masks work so well, why have cases exploded after mask mandates were implemented?

One important detail: the particle counter they used measured particles as small as 0.007 microns. That’s over 10 times smaller than the coronavirus particle diameter. We’re talking about truly tiny particles here!

They tested a whole range of masks and materials. What were the results?

3M N95 masks captured over 95% of particles down to 0.007 microns. That’s over 10 times smaller than the coronavirus.

What might be surprising to some is that the surgical mask was able to capture 80% of the tiny particles.

Scientific fit tests and particle penetration tests find that surgical masks that are cheap can block between 60-90% of particles. That includes even really small particles and even while a person is actually wearing it.
I think you, suzy_q and serger deserve the Nobel Prize for scientific advancement for all the lives you've saved with your endless DNC propaganda on this site. Bravo!

Oh, and there's a very good reason masks were not recommended for general use by the public before this politicized pandemic came along. They don't work for numerous reasons that you and your stooges never address; i.e. false sense of security, not worn properly, not changed frequently, increased touching of mucus membranes on the eyes, nose and mouth, etc.

Old 11-29-2020, 05:08 PM

Quote:
My cloth mask? Can you name the type of mask I wear? Hint: It's made from Nylon, cotton fabric. Can you tell me what size and percent of viral particles my mask captures?

Masks capture even the smallest particles—even while people are wearing them—and they have documented health benefits. That should be enough to satisfy even the skeptics!

Can air pollution masks capture coronavirus particles? Yes they can!

Beneficial cardiovascular effects of reducing exposure to particulate air pollution with a simple facemask

Researchers from the University of Edinburgh tested different common masks by running a diesel generator (to mimic car exhaust) and piping the exhaust through different masks. They used a particle counter to see how many particles made it through the mask.

One important detail: the particle counter they used measured particles as small as 0.007 microns. That’s over 10 times smaller than the coronavirus particle diameter. We’re talking about truly tiny particles here!

They tested a whole range of masks and materials. What were the results?

3M N95 masks captured over 95% of particles down to 0.007 microns. That’s over 10 times smaller than the coronavirus.

What might be surprising to some is that the surgical mask was able to capture 80% of the tiny particles.

Scientific fit tests and particle penetration tests find that surgical masks that are cheap can block between 60-90% of particles. That includes even really small particles and even while a person is actually wearing it.

P.S. Still waiting for a good answer as to why cases are exploding months after mask mandates were implemented. I thought they worked?

Old 11-29-2020, 06:35 PM

8,116 posts, read 3,663,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post
I think you, suzy_q and serger deserve the Nobel Prize for scientific advancement for all the lives you've saved with your endless DNC propaganda on this site. Bravo!

Oh, and there's a very good reason masks were not recommended for general use by the public before this politicized pandemic came along. They don't work for numerous reasons that you and your stooges never address; i.e. false sense of security, not worn properly, not changed frequently, increased touching of mucus membranes on the eyes, nose and mouth, etc.
Apparently you do not understand English: I don't do any of that, and you should not either. Clear?

Old 11-29-2020, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by serger View Post
Apparently you do not understand English: I don't do any of that, and you should not either. Clear?
I'm sure that you and I have saved countless lives just by wearing our cloth masks. Probably thousands.

Old 11-29-2020, 08:29 PM

1,969 posts, read 543,869 times
Quote:
P.S. Still waiting for a good answer as to why cases are exploding months after mask mandates were implemented. I thought they worked?
been muzzled in LA since...it began. check our numbers.

Old 11-29-2020, 09:28 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,528,733 times
Quote:
lack of enforcement and cooperation in general.

also, i see it in my own company. everyone required to wear a mask to enter building and get temperature. as the work day goes along, more co-workers are not wearing or pulling down their masks to speak to one another and social distancing out the door. i keep having to remind them in a nice way to not get near me. this occurs on a daily basis. then we get 3rd party vendors coming in for sales pitch for meetings and several presentations... and they're also laxing off as it goes on.

Last edited by JL; 11-29-2020 at 09:37 PM..

Old 11-29-2020, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Cases are exploding in the states that had no statewide mask mandates.

Come on now...you don't need to ask anyone on a public forum. This data is easy to find.

Cases are also exploding as the anti-mask folks gather in groups.

Cases are also on the rise due to the return to school for US students.

Cases are also exploding because it's winter. Cold weather will drive people indoors to closer quarters with potentially poor ventilation, where the risk of spread is heightened.

Cases are also exploding because of the following:
  • Transmissibility (% infectivity)of the SARS-CoV-2 virus is high.
  • Each SARS-CoV-2 infected person is expected to infect about 2 to 2.5 other people if no attempts are made to mitigate the spread of the virus.
  • The high rate of transmission is due to the density of individuals who are asymptomatic or who have only mild symptoms who are actually spreading the virus.
  • Active virus shedding appears to be transmissible several days before symptoms appear, and patients can remain contagious for 2-4 weeks after infection.
So many lies and falsehoods in one post, you really are amazing. Cases are ***ALSO*** "exploding" in states that had mask mandates. The data is easy to find, why are you misrepresenting it?

The science has proven that schools do not increase COVID spread, either to children or to their family members. Again, why are you misrepresenting the facts and the science?

Cases are exploding in places that are temperate even in the winter months. So, you are misrepresenting data when you say that cases are exploding "because it's winter."

And of course your premise that "cases are exploding" will never be provable one way or the other because we did not have the testing capability in March and April that we have now. So we don't KNOW how many cases the country had this spring and we cannot compare the total numbers from the spring to now to quantify whether they are "exploding" or not.

But, that will not stop the Chicken Little panic pushers in the media, in the Democrat Party and on this forum from shrieking at the top of their lungs about why we must do what Democrats say for the rest of our lives because there is a new virus with a mortality rate of less than 0.5%, and FAR FAR LESS than that if you are under 70 years old.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies