Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2020, 10:04 AM

8,118 posts, read 3,663,787 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
And yet actual medical studies show that masks do not do what you are claiming; they do not provide any significant protection. It's like putting a wet cloth to your nose and mouth if you find yourself in a fire, with a room full of smoke. You know that this wet cloth will not filter out the smoke and not protect you.

Sure, people repeat false memes, like wear a mask to protect yourself. Paper masks literally cannot and filter out the virus. If you are in the same room as an infected person, the room will eventually contain the virus and you will breath in the virus because your mask is incapable of filtering out the virus.

Standing six feet away from a COVID infected person might work to protect you for a couple minutes, the same as it will to stave off the cigarette smoke from a smoker. But over time the room will become saturated with the virus, just as it becomes saturated with cigarette smoke.

I know that if I wear a mask I am not going to be protected, because I have read the science. I know that if someone is shedding the virus, my mask will not filter it out.
BTW, pre-Covid did you cover your mouth and nose when coughing or sneezing? Yes or no? If yes, why?

Which ones are those? The Denmark study? Just read the comments section to the paper, that will give you a pretty good list of issues. Not all of the issues, but quite plenty

Old 12-03-2020, 10:26 AM
bu2

24,070 posts, read 14,863,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Are you happy that businesses are shutting down left and right, after being closed by politicians that flaunt the very mandates that they enact? It's people like you that will drive millions into poverty, when they lose their jobs and businesses.

That you are OK with that happening says a lot about who you are as a person. I'm going to guess that you are either on the dole, work for the government, have a spouse that does, or are retired. Glad I left your state long ago, to another that is vibrant, productive and rational.
Democrats have no empathy for anybody other than the top 25% who aren't as badly impacted by these restrictions. But if they keep it up, those people will lose jobs too.

Old 12-03-2020, 12:08 PM

3,371 posts, read 1,538,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
The tests are also specific. They can tell the difference between flu and the coronavirus. Specificity is different from sensitivity. It is also possible to have both viruses.
the problem i heard with the tests are false positives. Elon musk took four tests two negative two positive at the same time. I Think heard multiple sources say the tests can have false positives .

Old 12-03-2020, 12:35 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,621,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vcnghm View Post
Yes your gov is not brainwashed and can see whats really what........ I think he is the only one!!

I try hard not to wear a mask either but they are starting to harrass people more about them ever since the election.....
I'm not surprised if the covid ward at your local hospital is full with 1 or more new covid patients waiting in the emergency room for a bed.

Old 12-03-2020, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
Mask mandates are adhered to closely in the urban parts of Colorado. I never see anyone without their mask in any business yet cases continue to soar. It’s obviously not “anti-maskers” who are causing the surge.
So people are not always wearing masks. For instance, last week I went to one of my favorite restaurants and noticed about a half dozen older regulars seated next to each other at the bar without wearing masks. I guess they trusted each other not having covid. But masks are like life preservers. They only work when you got one on. Of course, you can't always do that while in a restaurant. So to lower the risk from bigger crowds, I only go to restaurants at slack times, such as 4:30 pm.

Old 12-03-2020, 12:52 PM

6,829 posts, read 2,115,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
So people are not always wearing masks. For instance, last week I went to one of my favorite restaurants and noticed about a half dozen older regulars seated next to each other at the bar without wearing masks. I guess they trusted each other not having covid. But masks are like life preservers. They only work when you got one on. Of course, you can't always do that while in a restaurant. So to lower the risk from bigger crowds, I only go to restaurants at slack times, such as 4:30 pm.
So what percentage of people wearing masks for them to work? 80%? 100%? What evidence from the real world would you need to see to convince you that masks are basically not effective at controlling any Covid surge.

Old 12-03-2020, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
And yet actual medical studies show that masks do not do what you are claiming; they do not provide any significant protection. It's like putting a wet cloth to your nose and mouth if you find yourself in a fire, with a room full of smoke. You know that this wet cloth will not filter out the smoke and not protect you.

Sure, people repeat false memes, like wear a mask to protect yourself. Paper masks literally cannot and filter out the virus. If you are in the same room as an infected person, the room will eventually contain the virus and you will breath in the virus because your mask is incapable of filtering out the virus.

Standing six feet away from a COVID infected person might work to protect you for a couple minutes, the same as it will to stave off the cigarette smoke from a smoker. But over time the room will become saturated with the virus, just as it becomes saturated with cigarette smoke.

I know that if I wear a mask I am not going to be protected, because I have read the science. I know that if someone is shedding the virus, my mask will not filter it out.
Masks are better than nothing and quite likely work to reduce exposure to the virus and make it easier for the immune system to handle. For instance, take a chain link fence and throw a bucket of large marbles at it. Not all marbles will make it through the fence. It explains why covid cases and deaths are lower in cities that require mask wear.

Old 12-03-2020, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Masks are better than nothing and quite likely work to reduce exposure to the virus and make it easier for the immune system to handle. For instance, take a chain link fence and throw a bucket of large marbles at it. Not all marbles will make it through the fence. It explains why covid cases and deaths are lower in cities that require mask wear.
Covid deaths are lower in Chicago? Detroit?

You realize Detroit has mask mandates, and has one of the highest death rates for Covid19 in all of the USA.

Old 12-03-2020, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenPineTree View Post
So what percentage of people wearing masks for them to work? 80%? 100%? What evidence from the real world would you need to see to convince you that masks are basically not effective at controlling any Covid surge.
Compare covid cases and deaths between cities that require masks and cities that don't as I have already did. While masks didn't get things under control, they did work to reduce the upsurge.

Old 12-03-2020, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Compare covid cases and deaths between cities that require masks and cities that don't as I have already did. While masks didn't get things under control, they did work to reduce the upsurge.
Let's compare Detroit and Chicago to Tampa and Miami.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies