Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2020, 09:26 PM

15,839 posts, read 6,543,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
So they had 500 new cases vs. 170 new cases the week before, while the rest of Oklahoma also had an increase in cases. They had "several" large gatherings.

So, they did contact tracing to zero cases from the rally. And the increase in cases was roughly 330. Some portion of that increase would have happened even if the rally never happened.

I don't doubt that some of the increase came from the rally, just as I'm sure the protests were strong contributors to the mid-June surge around the country. But there is no proof that the Tulsa increase came specifically from the Trump rally, only a suspicion.
The point is that it sets a really horrible example of how to deal with a public health crisis. These events increase the risk, not reduce it.

Old 08-29-2020, 09:41 PM

3,076 posts, read 5,650,035 times
Its interesting in most places you go into a restaurant or bar and have to wear a mask for like 2 minutes and can then take it off. What is the point. Same as an airplane, when I eat or drink I can keep it off, so why don't I just drink the entire flight. Either way, once its off, what is the point as my virus particles are out and about (if you believe masks stop them).

By the way, nobody has been able to answer this. If masks work so well, why didn't we require them every flu season? So basically these health officials have killed hundreds of thousands if not a million of people of the last decade or so because we didn't wear masks.

Old 08-29-2020, 11:15 PM

3,076 posts, read 5,650,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallica93 View Post
Imagine blaming others for your own ignorance, lol. "...nobody has been able to answer this" should actually read "I don't listen when presented with facts and science" (as I'm sure you won't when you half-read this comment).

1) You're comparing a virus with a vaccine (influenza) to one without (SARS-CoV-2). Were you somehow unaware of that?

2) If Americans are being p*ssies about mandatory mask wearing now, what on Satan's green Earth do you expect them to wear masks during flu season for? You'd have riots from far-right personalities claiming that "their rights" were being trampled on much like you do now.

It's fine if you're pro-virus, but maybe leave the rest of us out of it and just stay home, eh?
Yes comparing virus particles which are essentially the same size. It isn't that coronavirus particles are substantially bigger than flu viruses. For some reason the recent mask studies just talk about particles, but more bacteria and non virus which would seem to be the important issue here. Are you aware that that the common cold is a corona virus and for 30 years they have been trying to develop a vaccine and haven't been able to. Now, people expect it in 8 months. Good luck throwing that crap in your body. I would take a chance with the natural virus before as I'm under 60 and no underlying conditions.

By the way the flu vaccine isn't that effective, at most 40% in good years, and no study that showed it saved people that had it. So we can have a so called covid vaccine, but how do we now it saves one life, but sacrifices 6 in the long run for people who don't need it.

My point simple was if we knew masks were so great, why didn't we require people to wear them during flu seasons. Oh, the same reason that the CDC and comrade Fauci said they were no good, cause they make no difference. But then within 2 months, they changed their decision.

Answer to 2nd part of question 2, ask any small businesses and people who want to speak out. They have censored speech, shut down businesses (unless they are Walmart, Amazon, etc.), and made people stay at home. If you can't see this you believe in Nazi Germany where they didn't believe their rights were being stripped either. Just wait until they force an injection in your arm.

Old 08-30-2020, 05:47 AM

9,911 posts, read 7,699,445 times
Three things

One you want to be a US hero wear a mask

Want life and the economy to bounce back

You are a Republican and against abortion wear a mask

Old 08-30-2020, 08:12 AM
bu2

24,104 posts, read 14,885,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
The point is that it sets a really horrible example of how to deal with a public health crisis. These events increase the risk, not reduce it.
Agreed. Think it was an example of bureaucratic inertia. They had planned it for a long time and it seemed reasonable when they started the planning. Nobody was willing to pull the plug when the environment started looking worse.

Old 08-30-2020, 10:50 AM

1,154 posts, read 366,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingMA View Post
Its interesting in most places you go into a restaurant or bar and have to wear a mask for like 2 minutes and can then take it off. What is the point. Same as an airplane, when I eat or drink I can keep it off, so why don't I just drink the entire flight. Either way, once its off, what is the point as my virus particles are out and about (if you believe masks stop them).

By the way, nobody has been able to answer this. If masks work so well, why didn't we require them every flu season? So basically these health officials have killed hundreds of thousands if not a million of people of the last decade or so because we didn't wear masks.
Because the annual vaccine is generally pretty effective at suppressing the spread of flu. As for eating in restaurants, I think it’s pretty dumb to do so in the middle of a pandemic for which there is no vaccine.

Old 08-30-2020, 12:41 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,382,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypervigilant View Post
Trump downplaying this virus for months after it was raging across the US is the reason the US is in the position it's in today.
Exactly.

Not to mention the fact of his hypocrisy that the less intelligent cannot see through. The fact is, Trump is afraid of the virus and he makes everyone that works around him get tested for it daily.

Old 08-30-2020, 01:40 PM
bu2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypervigilant View Post
There is no mask available to the public can stop the spread...however it can reduce the spread. What do you think N95 means? It means that it filters at least 95% of airborne particles. 95% ≠ 100%. Even an N95 mask does not "stop" airborne particles 100%.
Here's your answer!

Face Masks Against COVID-19: An Evidence Review

Visualizing Speech-Generated Oral Fluid Droplets with Laser Light Scattering
They do in other countries but the CDC has created some poor guidelines for this country. And the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) does not recommend that most people need to routinely wear facemasks in public places to avoid common viruses such as the flu.

Secondly influenza A and B infections are not typically associated with a death sentence. In fact SARS-CoV-2 is 10 times more lethal than the flu. Also there is a vaccine available for the flu unlike for SARS-CoV-2.
This article should help clear up your confusion.

Still Confused About Masks? Here’s the Science Behind How Face Masks Prevent Coronavirus
That Rutherford from UCSF sounds like just a mask Nazi. Masks are the most effective thing?????
The Health Affairs study on the change in infection is interesting. The rest is not science, just anecdotes.

https://www.medpagetoday.com/infecti.../covid19/87120

"...Universal masking alone is not the answer even in the healthcare setting. A mask will not protect doctors caring for a patient with active COVID-19 if it's not part of an overall infection-control routine including hand hygiene, eye protection, gloves, and a gown. Masks do not keep doctors and nurses from contaminating their hands and spreading the virus to patients and colleagues. If we focus too much on masks, we may in fact forget about the other important ways we can prevent transmission....

Simply put, use common sense. Do not let the media and politicians use masking as a way to fear monger and intimidate. Masking has its role, but its greatest benefits are in the healthcare setting. Random masking is a waste of resources and may limit the ability of those who really need PPE to obtain them.

We have to stop using flawed data and bad science to make decisions. Politicians are leveraging data that they do not understand in an effort to set policy and advance their own political agendas. For example, in North Carolina, Governor Roy Cooper continues to keep the state on lockdown long beyond what neighboring states have done and is now threatening to mandate masks for any citizen who goes out in public in what appears to be another gubernatorial power grab in that state.

It's time we stopped allowing politics and fear to dictate science -- science and data should dictate good politics and public policy instead."

Old 08-30-2020, 01:48 PM
bu2

https://www.livescience.com/are-face...us-spread.html'

"...Researchers, writing in two new papers, attempt to tackle the efficacy of masks, one more rigorously than the other, and come to differing conclusions. One study examined the effect of masks on seasonal coronaviruses (which cause many cases of the common cold) and found that surgical masks are helpful at reducing how much virus a sick person spreads. The other looked particularly at SARS-CoV-2 and found no effect of either surgical or fabric masks on reducing virus spread, but only had four participants and used a crude measure of viral spread.

The bottom line, experts say, is that masks might help keep people with COVID-19 from unknowingly passing along the virus. But the evidence for the efficacy of surgical or homemade masks is limited, and masks aren't the most important protection against the coronavirus.

"Putting a face mask on does not mean that you stop the other practices," said May Chu, a clinical professor in epidemiology at the Colorado School of Public Health on the Anschutz Medical Campus who was not involved in either new study. "It does not mean you get closer to people, it does not mean you don't have to wash your hands as often and you can touch your face. All of that still is in place, this is just an add-on....""

""...There's been enough research done to be able to confidently say that masks wouldn't be able to stop the spread of infection, that they would only have a small effect on transmission," Cowling said. "We shouldn't be relying on masks to help us go back to normal....""

Old 08-30-2020, 03:39 PM

9,911 posts, read 7,699,445 times
We all have different opinions

There is no lying that COVID particles are tiny. Still a mask can protect you from them entering your nares or mouth. Not 100 percent efficiency.

Also hand hygiene.

Social distancing.

In reality until numbers are down, Feds should set parameters for States to open up at. I am not for less State rights bit in a national emergency gotta do what you gotta do.

Going back from my tangent until States can reach X numbers should half opening up.

I feel for the small biz restaurants. Unless it's outside your numbers are super low in your State having an open dining room or allowing school in session is a super bad idea.

Without a mask COVID on a good breeze in a crowded area can spread up to 15 to 20 feet. Don't want to factor in surface areas that are contaminated.

Yeah mask, hand hygiene, social distancing, limiting individuals per sq footage, and set case parameters for phases of States to open is key.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies