Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2020, 09:24 AM

25,685 posts, read 12,765,268 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Yep. Exactly. Now, why on earth would Biden and the Dems shy away from requiring the rich to actually pay their fair share?
Because its not all red versus blue, that is just a sideshow perpetrated by the media.

The real war is the top 1% versus the 99%.

The top 1% just stole ~$3T from the 99%, and their future heirs, so these minor tax policies, and 28M homeless are just afterthoughts.

The top 1% are flush with cash now, and probably will be for the rest of their lifetimes, so let the rest starve. So long as the chaos doesnt spill over into their physical worlds, who cares? They don't...none of them.

The days of the Dem party being the compassionate caring party left the building when the riots broke out and they did nothing to protect the local populations....and children died...there's no compassion in that. There's no compassion and caring in letting your constituancy's homes and neighborhoods be looted and ravaged.

Old 07-15-2020, 09:25 AM

16,956 posts, read 16,745,177 times
They can all move in with Nancy Pelosi since she "cares" so much about the homeless!

Old 07-15-2020, 06:14 PM

15,859 posts, read 21,426,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
The only $100k houses here are teardowns, where you're really just paying for the land. Actual liveable houses are now $250k in our far flung extras to $350k+ in town

And here, liveable houses are about 400K and condos are down to 300. You can go a little lower, but condo fees will eat any cost difference and you'd need to put in a lot of work to make it comfortable/handle deferred maintanence.

I don't live in a hopping place - just a far flung, lower working class suburb with bad schools and an even worse commute.

My rent for the pleasure? $1700 for a 1 bedroom with over an hour commute and a growing roach problem.

Yes, people should not buy cars they can't afford or toys they don't need, but I could buy multiple new TVs a month for what I pay for rent alone. That's where the problem is. And it has taken me years to save up a 10 month emergency fund, many of those years living with multiple roommates in even dumpier housing.

Old 07-15-2020, 06:43 PM

8,204 posts, read 3,477,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
I suspect we will also see a lot of doubling up.

Several of our friends took their aged parents out of assisted living facilities over Covid concerns.

Now, as the eviction moratoriums expire (some ended in June, most will expire the end of July) their kids are starting to move back home as well.

One friend in Wisconsin is caring for her mother as well as her mother-in-law. Her daughter and her two kids moved back home in June when her marriage fell apart. She says that while her daughter is a help with the two grandparents, it makes for a crowded home. Recently, her son called asking about moving back until he can get back on his feet. Yikes!

I suspect similar conversations are happening all over the country.
Around here a lot of people are moving in with relatives. The facebook marketplace is full of people selling everything they can while they prepare to move in with someone else.

People are being economically devastated.

There are apartments sitting empty that usually wouldn't be empty when college is about to start next month. It is unlikely that the college will ever open up like it used to be.

Not everyone has family that can take them in or would even be willing to take them in. Those that have that need to be grateful for it.

Old 07-15-2020, 06:48 PM

5,978 posts, read 2,231,948 times
Florida has delayed evictions for months and utility companies have avoided cutting service but I have a feeling that will end real soon. It’s going to be a blood bath in Florida given how dependent this state is on service jobs. The jobs that were first to go.

Old 07-15-2020, 07:41 PM

30,058 posts, read 18,650,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/07/10/loom...pert-says.html

If you thought our recent protests and riots were bad.
Imagine 28 million with nothing to lose?
Perhaps BLM, ANTIFA, and the homeless can get together and work out a schedule for rioting and burning down neighborhoods. That way each group can be well rested and at its best when they are looting and destroying property. Kind of like platoon substitution by sports teams to keep players fresh.

Thank God these groups seem to prefer burning liberal communities. There is certainly some poetic justice to that strategy- dems voted for and supported such activity, thus it is only right they should be the ones on the receiving end.

Old 07-15-2020, 07:42 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,954,579 times
Propaganda. Also, if you can't make it in the US these days, you really are pretty sorry.

Old 07-15-2020, 09:29 PM

6,393 posts, read 4,111,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Best of luck, I've just seen what politicians have done so far. Heck even before covid they've been pushing renters bill of rights in KC for example which had several relatively insane provisions that would screw landlords.

My rich comment was tongue in cheek, if you don't mind I'd love to hear your continued experiences wherever it is you rent as they continue to take money from your pocket and give it to others while no doubt not giving you an inch on your property taxes.
Well, I started my investment business in a state that is not very friendly to landlords. It starts with an "I" and ends with an "S".

Then my husband and I started looking elsewhere and eventually we moved to here, considered to be the 2nd friendliest state to landlords. Arkansas is the #1 friendliest state to landlords.

In other words, we strategically started investing in a place that isn't so cutthroat to landlords. So, we are pretty covered.

Also, I personally know the eviction judge here... but that's another story LOL.

We are actually doing fine considering what's been going on. Through experience, I have chosen good tenants that most of my tenants now are (1) long term tenants and have no intention of moving anywhere anytime soon and (2) keep to their word in paying. For example, one of my tenants got covid-19 and was in ICU for weeks. Even then, she asked her mom to go make the deposit to pay rent for her on time. A couple tenants used their stimulus checks to pay a whole month ahead of time. I just rented a house to this young couple who volunteered to paint the place for us so they could move in faster. Everyday after work, they came and painted. Free labor . So, when the project was done, to show my appreciation I gave them the first month for free rent. The guy is a banker and the girl is in IT.

The only tenants I've had trouble with have been tenants I inherited when I bought those properties. Other landlords suck at choosing tenants.

Regarding property tax, if anything I think counties should give investors a discount on property taxes. We are the ones that spend our own money and take all the risks to revitalize entire communities. I specialize in buying up properties in distress or abandoned properties and bring them back to life. You know these boarded up abandoned properties that are eyesores in neighborhoods? I'm the dude that spend my own money to bring them back to life. Entire families are happily living in properties that were once boarded up and abandoned. Don't know why many people consider me the bad guy.

Old 07-15-2020, 09:33 PM

380 posts, read 164,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
Well, I started my investment business in a state that is not very friendly to landlords. It starts with an "I" and ends with an "S".

Then my husband and I started looking elsewhere and eventually we moved to here, considered to be the 2nd friendliest state to landlords. Arkansas is the #1 friendliest state to landlords.

In other words, we strategically started investing in a place that isn't so cutthroat to landlords. So, we are pretty covered.

Also, I personally know the eviction judge here... but that's another story LOL.

We are actually doing fine considering what's been going on. Through experience, I have chosen good tenants that most of my tenants now are (1) long term tenants and have no intention of moving anywhere anytime soon and (2) keep to their word in paying. For example, one of my tenants got covid-19 and was in ICU for weeks. Even then, she asked her mom to go make the deposit to pay rent for her on time. A couple tenants used their stimulus checks to pay a whole month ahead of time. I just rented a house to this young couple who volunteered to paint the place for us so they could move in faster. Everyday after work, they came and painted. Free labor . So, when the project was done, to show my appreciation I gave them the first month for free rent. The guy is a banker and the girl is in IT.

The only tenants I've had trouble with have been tenants I inherited when I bought those properties. Other landlords suck at choosing tenants.

Regarding property tax, if anything I think counties should give investors a discount on property taxes. We are the ones that spend our own money and take all the risks to revitalize entire communities. I specialize in buying up properties in distress or abandoned properties and bring them back to life. You know these boarded up abandoned properties that are eyesores in neighborhoods? I'm the dude that spend my own money to bring them back to life. Entire families are happily living in properties that were once boarded up and abandoned. Don't know why many people consider me the bad guy.
Reps to you!

Old 07-15-2020, 09:53 PM

638 posts, read 240,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
Because its not all red versus blue, that is just a sideshow perpetrated by the media.

The real war is the top 1% versus the 99%.

The top 1% just stole ~$3T from the 99%, and their future heirs, so these minor tax policies, and 28M homeless are just afterthoughts.

The top 1% are flush with cash now, and probably will be for the rest of their lifetimes, so let the rest starve. So long as the chaos doesnt spill over into their physical worlds, who cares? They don't...none of them.

The days of the Dem party being the compassionate caring party left the building when the riots broke out and they did nothing to protect the local populations....and children died...there's no compassion in that. There's no compassion and caring in letting your constituancy's homes and neighborhoods be looted and ravaged.
They stole 3$T????? LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.