Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2020, 01:08 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMBGBlueCanary View Post
Not sure what the OP means, but this is an example of a centrist democrat: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Dog_Coalition

Basically, they advocate for fiscal responsibility, a strong national defense and bipartisan consensus.
Thank you for offering a definition, I guess I will have to assume that the OP doesn't care to share his definition.

I'm a Democrat and have never considered myself to be a "centrist" because that sounds like someone who is wishy-washy. But I am a pragmatic Democrat. I don't support the agendas of Bernie Sanders most of which are completely unrealistic, horrendously expensive and will never see the light of day, and I don't like democrats pander to only one segment of the population, but unlike most Republicans I think most industries and businesses need to be regulated because left to their own devices they will generally put profit over people. I'm 100% pro union and I am fiscally conservative. While I am all in favor of bipartisan consensus, unfortunately with the current Republican Senate leader that has become an impossibility.

So when I read this thread and hear the word "centrist" being used over and over I can't help but wonder who the hell they are talking about, I don't think I fit the bill but I'm certainly not a radical.

Last edited by 2sleepy; 07-16-2020 at 01:46 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2020, 06:19 PM

21,474 posts, read 10,575,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
The only thing that matters is getting rid of Trump. The only thing. After that, we can all assess the damage and get on with deciding how we want to move forward and begin to express that in the 2022 mid-terms.
Trump isn’t dangerous. He can’t make a move without being heavily scrutinized. These people on the left are truly dangerous, and they won’t be scrutinized at all. They’ll have cart Blanche to do what they want, and we won’t be able to get rid of them.

Old 07-16-2020, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camlon View Post
The centre-left is in denial. Every time the far-left say something extreme like "defund the police", then those center-left democrats come and say "what they really meant is ... "

Many of them are not going to wake up before it is them or someone they respect who is on the chopping board like JK Rowling was a few weeks ago.

Once Trump is out, I think it will be easier for a lot of center-left to change parties and join the right against the far-left.

By then it will be too late.

Old 07-16-2020, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone28 View Post
I am a centrist independent. I first thought during the Democratic debates that Joe was more in the middle. I recall him saying to Bernie "How are you going to pay for it?" In reference to Medicare for all. I don't know why that he now the nominee, he took what seems like a hard left turn.

Of course I have other concerns about Joe. I think his choice in a running mate will be a factor for a lot of people. And also the debates if they even hold them.
It shocks me how surprised so many Democrats are about this. Are y’all really that bad at reading the tea leaves? Always so smug about it when people complained about de-platforming conservative speakers, cancelling conservatives to the extent they can, even disgustingly calling for the blood of high school boys for supposed racism even after video clearly showed they were victims. It is amazing to me that anyone could watch the Democrats the last four years and not see where this was headed.

Old 07-16-2020, 08:05 PM

30,065 posts, read 18,665,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli34 View Post
All these posts trying to make the Left look out of control and violent is President Trumps attempt to distract you from the pandemic, the bad economy and his failure as a leader.
The left is out of control and violent.

Those were not republicans who were looting, burning, raping, and murdering over the last two months. Those were not republican mayors and governors who allowed it to happen and condemned the police- they were dems.

The dems are OUT OF CONTROL. Libs just can't face the facts, as the facts are hard to swallow. The dem party is the party of lawlessness and anarchy.

Old 07-16-2020, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
It shocks me how surprised so many Democrats are about this. Are y’all really that bad at reading the tea leaves? Always so smug about it when people complained about de-platforming conservative speakers, cancelling conservatives to the extent they can, even disgustingly calling for the blood of high school boys for supposed racism even after video clearly showed they were victims. It is amazing to me that anyone could watch the Democrats the last four years and not see where this was headed.
Oh for craps sake, I've been a democrat all of my adult life and neither myself or any Democrat who I know have ever called for the blood of high school boys. That's just pure drama...

Old 07-16-2020, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Oh for craps sake, I've been a democrat all of my adult life and neither myself or any Democrat who I know have ever called for the blood of high school boys. That's just pure drama...
You may not have but the loudest among you did exactly that to the Covington Catholic boys. Don’t act like that never happened, for craps sake.

Old 07-16-2020, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
You may not have but the loudest among you did exactly that to the Covington Catholic boys. Don’t act like that never happened, for craps sake.
Then don't attribute it to "democrats" in general, that's all I ask, because when you do that there is no basis for a discussion here, it's just a mud slinging fest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies